Home General Discussion

GameTextures.com - It's like CGTextures, but for video games!

Replies

• mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Subscription isn't really that strange on the assumption that new content will arrive each month. If it was cheaper to subscribe than it would be to buy them individually, it would make total sense.

That's just it. That's why I'm so weary of subscriptions. And to make up for not enough content being generated in time, download limits are put in place to slow how fast people burn through it and to keep them subscribed. I just don't like the model.

Anyways, enough about that. I don't want to turn this thread into a subscription soapbox lol.

With the 50% coupon, I'll bite for one month for the corporate package.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Stradigos wrote: »
    That's just it. That's why I'm so weary of subscriptions. And to make up for not enough content being generated in time, download limits are put in place to slow how fast people burn through it and to keep them subscribed. I just don't like the model.

Anyways, enough about that. I don't want to turn this thread into a subscription soapbox lol.

With the 50% coupon, I'll bite for one month for the corporate package.

Much appreciated :)
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Seaseme wrote: »
    Hey Skillmister - Send me an email - tanner@remotecc.com. I can tell you what's up.

Thanks again for your time :) I am a most unintelligent human being sometimes :thumbdown:

I'll give some of these textures a whirl tomorrow.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for your time :) I am a most unintelligent human being sometimes :thumbdown:

I'll give some of these textures a whirl tomorrow.

haha no worries man :) Let me know what you think! :thumbup:
  • jdilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys (or girls, whatever you are)!

I am LOVING this webpage. I got the corporate account for my indie team and I cannot tell you how much progress we've made in the past 3 days since we signed up. There have been some issues, but your chat support fixed them and also credited us for our troubles. We could not be happier with the quality of things - We cannot wait until you update and add some more textures at the end of the month. Also, we can't wait for the VFX section you're working on. It's looking killer!

We were having an issue with our account when we signed up, but your support chat operator guided us through and cleared up our issues, and gave us a free month for them. Couldn't be happier, it's hard enough bootstrapping a company, amiright?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Thanks again!

Jason
  • Nebularium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nebularium polycounter lvl 7
    Do you guys give access to PSD files (assuming they are made with Photoshop)? because bigest downside I see is that you wouldnt be able to quickly change certain parameters of those textures and thatcould be pretty annoying.
  • MutagenMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are amazing, I'll be getting an account this weekend for an indie ipad racing game i'm working on at the moment, cant wait to use them!

Excellent work guys!
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jdilly no problem man! Thank you for your support. You guys have been amazing to work with. Thanks for all the reports!
    MutagenMan wrote: »
    These are amazing, I'll be getting an account this weekend for an indie ipad racing game i'm working on at the moment, cant wait to use them!

Excellent work guys!

@mutagenManThank you! Feel free to PM me or email me tanner[at]remotecc.com if you have any questions! :)

@nebularum - We're working on this feature. It's going to take a bit to get everything working and in a usable / consistant photoshop heirarchy since there are hundreds and hundreds of them to simplify and merge.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    It's going to take a bit to get everything working and in a usable / consistant photoshop heirarchy since there are hundreds and hundreds of them to simplify and merge.
    Can a script take care of any of that? I don't know scripting for photoshop all that much, but I wonk there are some wizards around here who do.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We can certainly script part of it, I make those things all day- I think the real issue is just how much brushing and such goes into things makes every PSD completely unique. It would be a matter of going in and merging, combining, and simplifying, and probably some naming. All which could be done with scripts, I just think I'd rather do it by hand to insure quality isn't lost.
  • Shoy333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wicked site great concept and very very creative and filled with awesomesauce!! congrats man will be subbing shortly!!:poly142::thumbup:
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shoy333 wrote: »
    Wicked site great concept and very very creative and filled with awesomesauce!! congrats man will be subbing shortly!!:poly142::thumbup:

Thanks Shoy! Thanks for coming and chatting with me yesterday. That was awesome and it was great to meet you!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    good to see you guys launch this thing.
    i first stumbled upon the site months ago while looking for places to sell textures on. it didn't look very promising to be honest.
    i checked it few times since then but the awkwardly oldschool space station thing and seemingly eternal under construction state made me lose interest eventually.

and then i saw the GT logo while browsing Damian Lazarski's portfolio, and quality of his stuff made me think that i should be paying attention to this after all. :)
    And here it is finally, congrats on producing so much of solid looking content.

I wish preview pics were bigger and less blurry though (that is, on a page dedicated to a single particular texture, not while browsing).
    it's hard to judge the quality of some textures at the moment, especially the photosourced ones.

i would also change the layout so that all of flat sheet thumbs are visible at the same time and you don't have to scroll them.
    the description box doesn't have to be so big.
    I mean, we want to keep making textures and I have employees here helping me. Anyhow, the a'la cart option should be here within the next few weeks.

are you considering hiring more freelancers in near future?
    Can a script take care of any of that?
    heh, if these guys' psds look anywhere close to mine then i can see it being pain in the ass to make them clear and consistent.
    i mean, those things are made to deliver a nice set of flat maps in shortest time possible, they're not really meant for other people.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Blaisoid!

So some changes this week: Added SSL to all checkout pages.

Changed the free texture downloads - began redesigning parts of the site to work a bit better. We're working on getting higher resolution thumbnails, and also some new pricing methods so that subscription is not the only way.

@blasoid - Thanks for your compliments! The place-holder page was definitely pretty rough. To be honest, I had forgotten about it until last week. So, thanks for coming back. As far as Damian Lazarski - My god. That guy is a mastepiece to work with. I couldn't ask for a better friend and harder worker.

We're considering hiring some more freelancers soon. We're sifting through portfolios!

Our PSDs are pretty organized. There are just a lot of them.

Thanks for your comments!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why does it not say resolution or file format anywhere? Clicked on first freebie, but there's no info.
    http://gametextures.com/index.php/ancient-carved-stone-path.html

I have to create an account to download a sample? I think you're losing a good % of potential customers right off the bat. My thinking is, if I like the sample, then I'd be OK with giving you my first name, last name, email, and a pw, to check out the rest of your content. But you've added a barrier.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    heh, if these guys' psds look anywhere close to mine then i can see it being pain in the ass to make them clear and consistent.
    i mean, those things are made to deliver a nice set of flat maps in shortest time possible, they're not really meant for other people.

how hard is it to make a group called "diffuse" and a group called "normal," etc?

I can understand being unorganized (although I disagree that it is faster if you're making something quality) but if you have a literal unorganized stack of Layer 058s or whatever, that's most likely hurting you if you're spending any time at all on iteration or development.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    how hard is it to make a group called "diffuse" and a group called "normal," etc?

I can understand being unorganized (although I disagree that it is faster if you're making something quality) but if you have a literal unorganized stack of Layer 058s or whatever, that's most likely hurting you if you're spending any time at all on iteration or development.

Our PSDs are very organized, that's not what we're talking about. It's that each PSD has 100 different layers in different configurations, dirt, highlights, shadows, brushing, etc.

Those are my concern - I would rather go through and make sure things are named properly in that regard. Everything is definitely grouped and organized very well and consistently.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    perna wrote: »
    The two statements don't seem to add up ;)

For the below material off of your site:
      ao
        overlay
      trim
        dirt
        grafitti
        overlay
      panel mask
        overlay
      base (exposed metal)

The most common reason with bloated 100-layer PSDs tends to be unwillingness to merge layers. I've seen artists who would put each piece of grafitti there in its own layer, instead of just merging them. There's also often a sense of paranoia that keeps artists from committing to a decision; keeping image-wide overlays separate instead of just merging them, keeping decals as 14 different text- and shape-layers instead of just merging those, etc.

3dpreview_28.png

I've often found it is easier to keep stuff heavily separated out so you can tweak or re-purpose bits. My typical PSD layouts are more like material compositing and less like painting, they might look something like this (these names are layer groups, with a layer mask on each group):
    diffuse
      dirt
        mud
          moist
          dry
        soot
      decals
        hatch_access
        warning
        danger
      red_paint
      blue_paint
      metal
        rust
          fresh
          old
        base_metal

This makes it easy to develop, say, a good fresh rust texture, and use it on multiple textures, and to iterate on painting on more rust, and then quickly copy/paste the mask from the diffuse to the specular or normal or gloss or whatever.

Keeping things broken out like this means that I can quickly and freely develop new materials without needing to build them in isolation or from the ground up, because I'm keeping my "source" rust or whatever clean inside my asset PSD. I can then later port it back out to a unique .psd to share with people, or maintain a template PSD package where I can wipe the layer masks and paint new ones to make a new object that re-uses a lot of those materials.

So long as the layer groups are masked and named appropriately, even if they're filled with a stack of "Layer ##" messy layers, it is still easy to re-use and alter as needed.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Ghostscape wrote:

What made you think that i don't make groups for each kind of map?
    there's an area between horrible mess and total pedantry. And that's the thing - if i were to publish my psds i'd be pretty pedantic about it and make sure that purpose of everything is clear.
    On the other hand when i make psds for personal use then i don't concern myself with that, so there's bunch of names that make sense only to me, occasional typos, bunch of unused layers that i kept there just in case i need them someday etc etc. It's not about hurtful lack of organization, it's about the fact that organization mostly caters to my needs.

as for the site, i agree with Eric - it really makes sense to include the info about resolution, especially considering that preview pics are too small to guess it.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds great Perna - Seems easy enough. I think there was a bit of a miscommunication - If anything, if a texture has 100's of layers we have failed. It's much more common to have between 15-20 - and a matching group for Specular / Gloss / Normal - Added up it could be around 100 layers, tops.

I've started optimizing and cleaning them today so that we can put those up soon!

:)
  • rogueNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to say a couple of things about GameTextures.com (and my experience with them so far):

First of all, the quality of textures truly is excellent. Even if you're more interested in creating your own (as many here would be), there's a ton of inspiration to be found. Being a beginner in the 3d realm, I'm also finding them extremely educational - particularly in how the various maps work together to define the materials. Great for material editor practice in UDK as well :)

Secondly - the customer support has been THE BEST I've experienced anywhere. I had a problem with my account a few days after the launch of the site, and I was mentally preparing myself for an experience similar to those I've had with other online companies (i.e. piss poor). It was completely the opposite - they were quick to respond, great to talk to, and most of all made me feel like there was actually a person on the other side. I'm sure I frustrated the hell out of them, but they didn't let it show ;)

TL;DR - I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes from these guys - highly recommended!
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to say a couple of things about GameTextures.com (and my experience with them so far):

First of all, the quality of textures truly is excellent. Even if you're more interested in creating your own (as many here would be), there's a ton of inspiration to be found. Being a beginner in the 3d realm, I'm also finding them extremely educational - particularly in how the various maps work together to define the materials. Great for material editor practice in UDK as well :)

Secondly - the customer support has been THE BEST I've experienced anywhere. I had a problem with my account a few days after the launch of the site, and I was mentally preparing myself for an experience similar to those I've had with other online companies (i.e. piss poor). It was completely the opposite - they were quick to respond, great to talk to, and most of all made me feel like there was actually a person on the other side. I'm sure I frustrated the hell out of them, but they didn't let it show ;)

TL;DR - I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes from these guys - highly recommended!

Wow, thank you so much! That is so, so nice to hear. I'm real glad we got things working for you. As always, let me know if you need anything or have any requests!

-Tanner
  • Marcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcel polycounter lvl 11
    Don't worry Perna, we don't take offense by the comparison. If anything we can be proud that the name CGTextures is apparently a hallmark when it comes to textures! :)

We at CGTextures wish the owners of GameTextures.com good luck with their website!
  • Spazzme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the work you guys are doing.
    Fast, awesome and clean textures to use straight on your mesh or to help build up your textures.
    CGTextures is a good resource, but the textures from GT is ready to go without any cleaning up!

Keep the amazing work up!
    Regards Daniel
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spazzme wrote: »
    Love the work you guys are doing.
    Fast, awesome and clean textures to use straight on your mesh or to help build up your textures.
    CGTextures is a good resource, but the textures from GT is ready to go without any cleaning up!

Keep the amazing work up!
    Regards Daniel

Thanks very much! We're working hard on it.
  • jammer42777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    I am very new to 3d art.
    I really like the products of gamettextures.com
    However.. I know they charge $30 for a commercial license
    My question is this.  Do I need to keep paying them $30 per month,
    Lets say in the first month I download a bunch of textures.  
    I use them in a game development.
    Do I need to keep paying them for months in order to keep legally using the textures that I downloaded months earlier?

Hopefully I am wrong,
    Thanks
    --Joshua
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Good luck to you guys. I'd pay money for tutorials. Amazing textures.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    I am very new to 3d art.
    I really like the products of gamettextures.com
    However.. I know they charge $30 for a commercial license
    My question is this.  Do I need to keep paying them $30 per month,
    Lets say in the first month I download a bunch of textures.  
    I use them in a game development.
    Do I need to keep paying them for months in order to keep legally using the textures that I downloaded months earlier?

Hopefully I am wrong,
    Thanks
    --Joshua
    It looks like you need to pay at least once a year, for the license to remain valid. But I'm no lawyer. If this license doesn't make sense, I'd suggest hiring a lawyer to translate it for you.
    https://www.gametextures.com/commercial-license/
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like you need to pay at least once a year, for the license to remain valid. But I'm no lawyer. If this license doesn't make sense, I'd suggest hiring a lawyer to translate it for you.
    https://www.gametextures.com/commercial-license/
    Then they should change this.

After your first payment has gone through, your commercial license is retained. Meaning, you can cancel at any time and retain your commercial usage license.

I would tell you to ask them yourself, but checking their forums you've already asked them that 6 months ago and gotten no answer. I'm going to second asking a lawyer just to be 100% sure.