Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Learning Handpainting

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Synyster polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I was just given an assignment a while ago to handpaint a mini enviornment that the teacher model. Everything is going to be diffuse only and no photos, everything has to be handpainted. I'm going to use this thread to post my progess on the assignment and please guys tear this apart. I can take the critques. Here's my progress so far.

8021532382_7383adaca0_k.jpg

Tell me what you guys think? What's due this week is the rest of the roof finished. I'm not fully satisfied with the wood yet, but I'll play around some more with it. :)

Replies

• sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Could you post the flats? Also you can crop the interface out of your screenshots next time, lol :P

It's not a bad start. Right now what sticks out to me is a lack of color variation making everything look flat. Nice hand painted wood has a lot of color infused into it - purple/blues in the shadows and nice warm oranges/yellows for highlights. Maybe even a touch of green can set it off nicely too. Adding bits of subtle color in the right places makes a huge difference.

Make sure you define your lights and darks too. I see you started to do that with the well but you can definitely push it with that wood. Also, when you pick your highlight and shadow colors try not to just pick a darker/lighter shade of your base color, again try to incorporate other colors.

Check out the wiki http://wiki.polycount.com/TexturingTutorials#Painting_Stylistic_Textures for some great hand painted examples.
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah sorry I completely forgot XP

8021673726_f59d382555_b.jpg
    8021673682_a3788bb7ab_b.jpg

Yeah I added some cool colors to the shadows and warm ones to the highlights but it's extremely subtle. I'll deff bump it up and add some more variation as well as pushing the values some more.
    Thanks for the critque! I appreciate it, I'll get working ;D
  • criticalchap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would reconsider the highlights on the rocks. You have a cover above the well, so it isn't all that likely that direct sunlight would be hitting the tops of the rocks. You could highlight it around the sides and diminish the cracks in between them. Also be sure to go over your these changes in values with a lower opacity brush and sample each stroke so that you can blend the colors and soften the edges to your liking.
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    I think with hand painting textures there is some many choices, stylistically, its hard to offer advice over and above foundational stuff with what you've shown there. Did you have any reference of the style you are going for? maybe some pre- existing game assets you've seen or something. That way we can be a bit more specific :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Rethink your brush choices. Start out using a simple hard round basic brush. Your texture is real shaky and inconsistent at the moment. Maybe UV map this to fit on one texture as well
  • Dmarmor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried this kind of exercice too and I was given a good reference, so I thought I could share it with you.
    http://www.3dmotive.com/new-release-hand-painted-weapon-texturing/
    It is a good ressource.

Keep working.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Handpainting: how to make really simple stuff in really complicated way

I suggest learning the principles of light and shadow simply first, then trying to make 'handpainted game textures'
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CriticalChap Thanks for the tip! Completely forgot about the house on top -_- last week only the well was supposed to be textured so I didn't even think of the house.

@Pixel I didn't really look at any references, I kinda just went with it. If anything I would say the blizzard art style would have an inpact.

Thanks for the Critques everyone! I'm going to try to work on this as much as I can these next couple of days, Should finish up the rest when I get back from work.
  • ausernottaken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a pretty good article on hand painting (page 47).

http://www.quixel.se/Papercut/VertexHD.rar
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry for such a long delay on the progress of my stuff. I haven't abandoned this thread, I've just been really under the weather lately. I'm still working on the wood texture and the roof, but I've been working on the well for a good portion of the day today. Tell me what you guys think, any feedback is appreciated :D

8045998865_042a94245d_b.jpg

8046003237_86e5490a9b_b.jpg

8046003325_d1c226b9b5_b.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I like the color variation on your stones, only I think all of your lines are a little squiggly or fuzzy x] maybe try using some bolder, straighter strokes here and there for variation.
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip Jessica! Will deff. Go in and fix that up :)
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for such a long delay in updates. School has been getting really busy but here's how the scene has been looking so far.
    8119629332_e602df5f4d_b.jpg

8119615943_5126d36512_b.jpg

I've been learning a lot and I'm really starting to like how this is coming out. I'm still not satisfied with the grass alpha so I'll keep playing around with that, and I haven't touched the boulders yet, The texture on it now is just a place holder.
    Everything is really lowpoly, diffuse only. I did not make the models but I textured everything.
    Critiques are more than welcome :)
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    Dmarmor wrote: »
    I tried this kind of exercice too and I was given a good reference, so I thought I could share it with you.
    http://www.3dmotive.com/new-release-hand-painted-weapon-texturing/
    It is a good ressource.

Keep working.

Cannot express enough how awesome that tutorial was, that was a well spent weekend, and I'm considering watching it again to retain some of theory on lighting he goes over.
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember checking it out but never got around to buying it, but I'll buy it this weekend when I get paid and spend the weekend checking it out.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    You might want to try getting this in an engine, or at the very least, add some lighting! Everything is a little flat right now, no shadows or anything.
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    I think one of the issues you render is showing is too small of detail. If you want to do handpainted textures, you should constantly remind yourself "Keep it Chunky!"

Keeping your details chunky will help a lot. Make things readable from a distance. You were painting some decent looking cracks and stuff on the bricks but it too small of detail from a distance will just look like noise. Also, it's hard for your textures to really look good when none of the geo is cut out to help support the silhouettes.

But I think Jessica is right too. If you had lighting and shadows and maybe AO, it might help too. Keep at it! I've been working on really learning hand painted stuff too. It's a fun challenge!

Lets see some more!
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys I really appreciate it!
    @Jessica I was really considering throwing this into udk but just haven't had the chance too. I'll most likely throw it in this weekend and see what i can make out of it.
    @owl Thanks for the big tip! I've been doing every objec as a separate piece. Doing so I considerated too much on the little details rather than the whole scene as a whole. I'll deff. Go back in and make some more readable from a distance :)