Home Technical Talk

Somes questions about low poly optimisation

I have a test's feedback on a low poly asset and i dont really undestand the comments.

So i need somes pro's answers!

13129401.jpg
"The low poly need set the soft and hard edges, otherwise there will be shadows."

I think that it's the angle of faces ? 30° ? :poly141:

13129401.jpg

I optimize or not? I doesn't understand. Help :poly122:

Thanks for helping ! it's a model 1408 tris on a budget of 1500 tris.
one uv 1048*1048

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    In Maya, in the polygon tool set, under normals, there is a setting for hard and soft edges. If you are using low poly counts you need to use these to dictate how the normals blend together. On hard surface stuff generally all the normals are hard, and on organic stuff they will be all soft. Select your entire mesh and select hard edges to get rid of those shading issues.
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hard/soft edges are for smoothly blending the two faces together. In your case you'll need to use the hard edges to get rid of that shadow.
  • Ayvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks a lot guys ! :)

And i have an other question

capturexsa.jpg

The DA said : "Structure needs to be specification, and delete the useless pionts."

I dont undestand if i optimize or not ? What do you think ?

Thanks again
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically, when optimizing the low poly, you mainly have to ask 1 question :

Does this vertex/edge affect the silhouette of the object?

If it doesn't, you should remove it.

In the case of your image, those verts you circled on the front edge don't affect the shape at all and should be welded. The one in the back looks like it WOULD change the shape if deleted so should probably stay.
  • Ayvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with you, so i will weld this vertex on the front.

but why he does a circle on the one ine the back and say that.. i dont know.
    If someone knows, says mee! :) ( and yes this vertex in the back is useful )

Thanks guy for the time spent for me.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    If you are going to use normal mapping then you wont even need those two stripes at the front. Instead I would use floaters and project depth there with a normal map. Your lowpoly will be entirely flat there but the normal map will make it look like there's extra geometry going inwards.

Also, do this:
    Select mesh
    Shift right click
    Soft/Harden edge
    Toggle soft edge display

All dotted lines are soft edges, and all normal lines are hard.
    That should make it easier for you.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're baking from a high poly model then the shading won't matter, the normals that are causing the light to be calculated that way will be replaced. If you are doing just diffuse work, you might want to add a few edges to contain the shading or make them hard edges. But be careful because hard edges add more verts to the final model, as does UV splits so it is generally a good idea to split your UV's along smoothing breaks.