Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Oryx Creature, Zbrush

Hello, i'm new and hopefully i'm OK posting this here.. ?
1eugqr.png

This is a model I made in Max. It's a made-up type of oryx. It's about 3,000 polys. I exported it into Zbrush, (which I haven't used before) to add detail, subdivided it 6 times and it is now around 3.4 mil polys.. and then I poly painted. (I didn't do anything before I started painting it, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to unwrap it or something?)

What I want to do is bring this model back into Max with all the detail, (but less polys) and rig and animate it.
I've been trying to find a tutorial which explains this process as I don't really understand it. Sorry, my 3D knowledge is pretty basic..
Thanks for any help!

igvoy0.png

[Edit] polys, at lowest s.d
rs93bo.png

Replies

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey man, This isn't bad:

It's hard to critique your sculpt as most of the detail is getting crushed by your polypaint / lighting and material choices. Based on what I'm seeing, I think you could have built up your bigger shapes a bit more and, like a lot of people new to ZBrush, may have jumped into subdividing the model a bunch of times to get smaller details in.

The basemesh seems pretty solid, really whatever works for you is best, personally I would have modeled the horns and hardsurface stuff separately and sculpting the organic bits around it.

For the low poly, I like to build a new mesh in Max around a reduced version of my sculpts. By the time I'm finished sculpting, the lowest level of the mesh is usually distorted and won't capture details properly during texture baking and usually the topology I use for my base meshes isn't exactly animation / game friendly. From there, i unwrap it and bake down the details from my high poly (using either Max or xNormal)

As a side note, you can always use GoZ to bring your lowest subdivision model into a 3d application, unwrap it (or adjust geometry) and GoZ again to bring it back into ZBrush. The changes you made will be reflected on your sculpt.

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Baking_PolyPainting_into_a_Texture_Map
  • CatZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply, Gav, (:
    Gav wrote: »
    you could have built up your bigger shapes a bit more and, like a lot of people new to ZBrush, may have jumped into subdividing the model a bunch of times to get smaller details in.
    Not totally sure what you mean by building up the bigger shapes, and is it bad to subdivide so much/so soon?
    Gav wrote: »
    I would have modeled the horns and hardsurface stuff separately and sculpting the organic bits around it.
    Makes sense, will totally do this next time, and I hadn't heard of GoZ before so have been experimenting with it!
    Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Also, I want to make the eye a separate object, (sub-tool?) in Zbrush, I did not export it into Zbrush separately.. Is there a way I can separate it/delete it now?
    Thanks again!

Without texture:
    oryx.png