Home General Discussion

What to do after submitted art test?

Hello polycount community,

I recently finished an art test this past Monday (9/17/2012) for a vehicle artist position. I submitted it that morning and was really happy with the result of my test.

Later that evening when I got off work, I felt that I needed to take a look at it again and see if there was anything I missed. For some reason I felt like I had. When I took a look at it I realized that there were some proportion issues on the front bumper and I had a small error on my texture. So I was kicking myself in the butt for missing it.

I really want this job and I don't know if I should email the AD and tell him that I saw these mistakes and ask if I could get one day to fix the problems. Would that look unprofessional on my part? Should I just not worry about it and learn from my mistakes? Is it to late to point my mistakes out?

I was also thinking that if I did not hear back from them by next Monday, then I should email the AD asking if I can get a review on the good and bad parts of my submitted art test. Again, would this look unprofessional? Is there anything that I could possibly do to help me get this job?

Thanks for the advice in advance!!

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You can also not hear from them for months, I know a friend of mine literally got a job at another studio and suddenly, 6 months later at this studio, got contacted and was told "Hey, you want to hire you now!" from the old studio.

The only thing I suggest is putting the following sentence in your email, which is "Please let me know either way", I noticed a nasty trend in AD/HR peeps, who won't get in contact with you again unless you put that line, as if to indicate them that they should let you know ASAP if you got the gig or not, ESPECIALLY if you didn't get it.

Basically put, at this point, there is nothing you can really do apart from wait, give it a couple of weeks atleast if you're really desperate and need to know ASAP with a friendly reminder email of "Hey, remember me? How's my folio doing?"
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    submission time is submission time. Sure assets get fixed after submission, but that's usually the AD's/Lead's call. With some companies you may be able to sneak in fixes, but if they have QA, checksumming and submit systems in place this won't work. The other issue is, if every artist starts fixing their own stuff without being told by e.g. a lead, other work will be delayed; nobody can be sure that an artist is working on something they're supposed to work; what if a "fix" makes the piece look worse in the AD's eyes? Professional thing is, if it's approved and submitted, then that's what it is. Leave it alone and move on unless someone tells you otherwise.

If someone from that company mentions your art, you can tell them that you think this or that could be improved. Tell them you learned the lesson. Show them you can learn from mistakes. But for now, wait and see what they say.

And yes, it is OKAY to call them - give them 2 weeks maximum. You invested time and work in something they asked for, it's just fair they give you a quick update about the process. That'd be the professional thing to do on their part.

Good Luck!
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the advice. So let's say Monday comes around and I do not hear anything from the studio. Should I email them and point out the areas of the art test that I noticed I messed up on? Or should I wait till week 2 to point it out? Would that be to late? Should I just send them a short follow-up email to make sure they were able to open the files ok and mention that I would like them to let me know whether or not I got the job?

I have been told that a short follow-up email about a week after the submission is a good idea so that I can be sure they got the necessary files. I have had a couple of studios leave me hanging and wondering if I got the job or not. Usually after about week 3 I understand that I did not get it, I just wish I would have been told so I can get it off my conscience :poly122: and move on.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    > Should I email them and point out the areas of the art test that I noticed I messed up on?

I would only do that if anyone asks. I wouldn't really point out any flaws if they don't see them. You don't want them to go "oh yeah, he's right. Well that flaw really sucks. NEEEEEXT....."
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Dont say anything, just remember it for next time, theres a good chance they wont notice. You should email them if you havent heard back in 2 weeks.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What to do after submitted art test?

Just wait and be patient. Definitely harder than it sounds, I know how that goes.
    I really want this job and I don't know if I should email the AD and tell him that I saw these mistakes and ask if I could get one day to fix the problems.

No. Actually, last interview I had...we went over the art test and they asked me what I thought I could have improved on with the test.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    gsokol wrote: »
    No. Actually, last interview I had...we went over the art test and they asked me what I thought I could have improved on with the test.

Exactly. I'd suggest instead of dwelling on those minor lapses you better prepare to have a broader answer about how you think you can improve your test. It will always make for a better impression.

And worry about it that much. It's not a deal breaker by any means. If the studio is not going to hire you because you bumper proportions are a bit off then, believe me, you don't want to work there.
  • aobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aobond polycounter lvl 7
    d1ver wrote: »
    If the studio is not going to hire you because you bumper proportions are a bit off then, believe me, you don't want to work there.

not if he's applying to company like codemasters or turn10 maybe, they're like accuracy freak where everything in the car are measured. which is not bad thing really, it shows that they're passionate on what they're doing.

but yeah, regarding the application dont mind it too much, there's a chance they dont even notice it, and be patient :) good luck man
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    You can also not hear from them for months, I know a friend of mine literally got a job at another studio and suddenly, 6 months later at this studio, got contacted and was told "Hey, you want to hire you now!" from the old studio.

I had this happen to me. Interviewed at a studio, things moved along, then nothing. So I took a different job and moved across the country. About a year later they call me up and ask if I wanted the job and that they began a hiring freeze right after they talked to me previously, but it was now open.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q: What to do after submitted art test?

A: Pretend like you didn't get the job and go make art and work on your portfolio.

If everything goes well and they call, you have something new to show them when you sit down for an interview. Which goes a long way in telling future employers how industrious you are.
    "Wow... you did this in the meantime? Impressive."

If the art test had a particular theme, doing something new in that same genre could let them know you are excited about creating that kind of content.
    "You came up with this on your own? It fits well, we like people who can do that"

They like it because a lot of content that gets created never had a specific concept created for it. It gets created with a general style guide for the game and they need those kinds of people who do that naturally. It's just one more point for you.

You aren't just looking to land a job but you need to think about how you will keep your name off the layoff list when the axe comes down at the end of the project. You might be blinded by landing the job but they are thinking about your future there.

You want to hit the ground running and prove you can go above and beyond what they expect. Most people assume this means talking big and pretending to be mr big shot. Don't fall into that trap, be humble and let the work do the talking. That doesn't mean you need to be silent because you better have answers like Dr1ver pointed out, but don't oversell what isn't there. That sort of cocky, over confident asshole, artist routine gets the door slammed in its face more often than not, especially when the work isn't there to back it up.

That is what keeps people in the "we can't fire this guy it would cripple us" list, from being added to the "yea we can let that guy go" list.

If they don't contact you, at least you didn't waste any time updating your portfolio with something that is an art test that everyone else is doing.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I applied for the job I have right now, 4 months later they emailed me and asked if I would be interested comming over for an interview. 10 days after that, I got the job. You just need to have patience. Boring hu? ;)

[EDIT] Just realized that you asked about what to do after an art test :P What I started to write was that I did an art test for a studio in the UK who never got back to me. Or well, they did, one day before I sign the contract with Avalanche.

And yeah, Mark is totally right. I did that in between interviews. Just a quick little scene, inspired by the concept I was shown, I did in 2 days. If I were to guess, that's what made them pick me.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice everyone :), it has really helped me understand. Funny thing is that it was for Avalanche Studios in NY. I got an email from them today and unfortunately I did not get the job. I'm pretty sure I know why, but that is just another lesson learned and a slap in the face to keep my eyes open and pay attention to every detail.:poly115: I just cannot give up and gotta keep working.

This is kind of an off topic question but does anyone have any pointers on how I should prepare any future portfolio work for next gen consoles that are supposed to be released at the end of next year? Or should I keep working on the current gen workflow and not worry about it? Thanks for the help!:)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master

This is kind of an off topic question but does anyone have any pointers on how I should prepare any future portfolio work for next gen consoles that are supposed to be released at the end of next year? Or should I keep working on the current gen workflow and not worry about it? Thanks for the help!:)

New console iterations are like another layer of vaseline coming off of the camera lens. You just need to make high quality work without worrying about so many technical limitations and show that you can better articulate form/light/color than your peers.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't expect the next generation to push too far past what is currently being done right now, they will have some great eye candy to start with, but if you look at the typical console release titles the don't look that much better than what the last gen was doing, which is actually saying a lot because when the last gen first shipped it looked like ass compared to what people where producing at the end of its life cycle.

They have only begun to milk the hardware.

The techniques aren't that different than what everyone is using now just a little more generous or the workflow is so specific its a insider only kind of thing and they don't expect you to know it. Just make good stuff, demonstrate the core principles and don't make any noobish mistakes.
  • njackson4190
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response advice everyone. That makes sense. Hopefully I'll get some more opportunities in the future to get into a studio that makes AAA titles or console games. It's been my lifelong dream and I could not see myself doing anything else. Thanks again Alec and Mark for the next gen advice. And I want to give a big thanks to Alec Moody for those tutorials on 3dMotive. They are really informative and I learned a lot from them. Thanks for making those.