Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18

i'm not sure what most of that is,, i see a 20 sided die, some kinda old bomb. a bottle which i have no idea what it is, seems to have an image on the label but thats covered with some string, the 2 metal boxes i have no idea what it is, one looks like a knife.. but not really avery occult looking knife. coulf you explain the thought behind those?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    NeoDement wrote: »
    They've used custom anims for the Robro and the Hat Of Undeniable Wealth And Respect (latter isn't a community item but still, it's an animated cosmetic)
    Yeah I was meaning community specifically, and moreover character animation in particular, ergo why you end up not seeing weapons with custom reload animations or grips or community-submitted taunts and the like.

I'm glad they at least have some for the Robro, that at least seems to give some hope to that.

...still intensely dislike the H.o.U.W.a.R.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RetroMike polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I want to make an animation for a buddy item like the Robro. Just a simple idle to make it look like hes floating rather than just being tacked there
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    squashedsquash_promo1.png

Special thanks to Suakeli for the name
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elbagast wrote: »
    Mr slow returns. It's gone a bit spooky in these parts...

Police stuff seems to be done:

tf2_police_demo_items_by_elbagast-d5fbyya.png

I mostly just need to get the shield LODs and promo images done now. I did end up playing with damage on the shield quite a bit to get to something I was happy with.

Also came up with a potential grenade launcher for the demolition set:

utility_grenade_launcher_by_elbagast-d5fbzbm.png

You can see it in game here. The idea is a utility weapon that condemns buildings by coating them in paint via a paint grenade (i.e. Jarate vs buildings). No idea if it would work in game, I just like the thought of it too much to ignore.

Gorgeous stuff here man, keep up the good work!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    should call that set "The Riot Act"
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The police stuff is nice but the yellow grenade launcher is just awesome, looks so distinct and has such sexy shapes, the bold yellow worked really nicely too. I never understand why anyone includes screenshots of items designed to be worn on the character (such as your police uniform) without the character present... it doesn't really show anything
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    The Brainframe

3F2B0145BB0D806834F56C385CBA4A6C518B4E3A

5A10A23C9969CC10A84DD566DCD30D626F06AB8D

5A416621B4381217C79E7D98F3F790A8CD46A466

Click the images to go and vote up or something along those lines.
  • dak1ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT/UPDATE :
    i have created a new misc for heavy, something like the soldier medal but it's not a medal, it's a Pin, the Soviet Red Star. I have made it as a pin because this symbol was usually embroided on clothes. I hope you can leave me here feedbacks, opinions and advices about what I need to improve or change.

hnpXV.jpg
    J72xG.jpg
    Soviet Red Star

ADDED A STYLE :

637x358.resizedimage
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Ha! Damn, Elbagast - I was blocking out something pretty similar too!

launcherblockout.jpg

Well, at least I'm glad your model is great and I can shelve this one in peace! Looks like 'Mr. Slow' works faster than some. =P
  • Alex_John_Ramsey
    I'm a first year 3d student, If anyone has the time I'd appreciate a draw over and critique, Note this is not done I'm just exploring an idea I might make. Please critique edge flow and form/silhouette and even my render presentation, Tear my shit apart.
    gqLZA.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skullbuster3.jpg
    Got rid of the skin rips and just added skull chunks, this way i can more easyly make the hat work with all classes, i have jiggle bones set up and will be testing exports of it tomorrow. also will be testing making the eyes an teeth paintable
  • Alpha4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone help me get my physics model to work? When I kill a bot in itemtest my hat just disappears and doesn't roll around on the floor.

Please help. :(
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    @Alpha4 - that's default behaviour. Itemtest will have created a physics model for your mesh anyway. What you can do is rename your model to match an existing hat and then try it in-game - see if that is more successful.

--

I'm having an issue currently with specular. My spec map is in the diffuse alpha channel. I used itemtest to compile it all by default, with the correct phong map settings.

For some reason its coming out really shiny in HLMV and the game. The VMT specifies the basetexture and is using the "$BasemapAlphaPhongMask" "1". The VTF has the alpha channel in it and seems correct. There is no normal map.

Am I missing anything else? :(
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    As I don't have access to SourceSDK at work, or TF2 - but I do have access to Maya and Photoshop, I can't do any more Halloween work until I get home!

I took my lunchbreak today to start on my holiday items, Fireworks are synonymous with the New Year, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Bonfire/Guy Fawkes Night (UK) and it is a nice idea for the demoman melee I can have some fun with. Can be both retro and pretty stylised.

Here's about an hour's progress with some reference images. Started on Blu texture. NOTE: I will be making a completely different styled texture for team Red.

Comments and feedback welcome. If anyone has any experience with particles in TF2, get in touch as it'd be fantastic to submit this with some proper firework explosions.

firework.jpg

My previous post on specular issues still stands as I haven't fixed it yet.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    8080F63C5CC19B5F2616D1ED854B43A42AF6433F

that looks great, are you replacing the whole head? hows that work do you have to reskin everything to the face bones or something?
  • Alpha4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks maty. :)

Also, when I uplaod my content. What do I upload exactly?

The blender soruce files with the QC? Or just the files created after compiling with GUIStudioMDL?

Currently I have both which results in a 12mb zip file. :/
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    that looks great, are you replacing the whole head? hows that work do you have to reskin everything to the face bones or something?

I had a look on the workshop and it's all skinned for the animations. Beautiful work that I have no ides how he did :D

The cosmetics for the heavy fairy may be done. Will get decent pictures once I have finished his 'wand'
    8006601478_688dae21d1.jpg

Need some ideas for names...
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    I fixed the specular - I think it was just a strange Maya material thing... worked once I made a new phongE material.

A Humerus Death
    9790CDA932947668A24B6E5B23CB2D9E00EBA5CF

Do rate if you like it! That's all my halloween/getting used to SourceSDK again items done! Will be working on holiday items from now - see firework above!
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Ruskeydoo wrote: »
    I had a look on the workshop and it's all skinned for the animations. Beautiful work that I have no ides how he did :D

The cosmetics for the heavy fairy may be done. Will get decent pictures once I have finished his 'wand'
    8006601478_688dae21d1.jpg

Need some ideas for names...

Lol, Why? so....not right lol
    Great work, but the idea is a bit silly.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »

I was researching classic Halloween costumes and one that kept coming up was little girls getting dressed up as fairies. Great bit of juxtaposition putting that on the heavy. I figure it is walking the line of going too far, but Halloween items are not equip-able most of the time and thus can be more extreme.

Also, think about it... Whose Halloween set has horrified you the most? ;)
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9DCDBB018CEB079295C358F8306AF11C0E9945C6

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97798914&searchtext=

re-uploaded with an improved model and a third style(last breathe style)
    4CE8AD8DE6BD1094182090007B19D1F1410E4605
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry wrote: »

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9yddrlXhd1rvi4roo1_500.jpg

Scary hair for Medic:

AD85E93DB38F2B4A1CA2160B5E6201E84B887A32

Vote for it if you like that kinda thing, thanks
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    Not updated the Blu firework much other than fading the blue a little. Started work on Red firework. See above for original reference.

I'm looking for some feedback, do oblige oh wonderful Polycounters!

Demoman melee - ready for winter holiday! Still looking for a particle effects person!

Blu - Blast Off
    fworkblu.jpg

Red - Rocket To 'Em
    fworkred.jpg
  • dak1ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT :
    I have re made the first star, i had troubles about some textures that werent clean.
    I will work on the medal style later as i'm moving away tomorrow and live 9000 km far away from my home XD.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question for you more experience .vmt writers. If I wanted to make a paintable texture with specific areas that glow can I use the string "$selfillummask <texture>" to mask the self illuminated area or would there be conflict?
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Rate if you like what you see, Thanks!
    A1938458A9E486139AF4D0A48EF290DAB340CB50
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    Decided to have a little fun;

17mv2.png
    (slightly outdated)

17pQw.png
    Up to date test compile.
  • Psyke
  • My name is...
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even though it's still a work in progress and it has it's own thread, I think it's worth posting it here.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you: The Medical Minidispenser!

MMMFront2_zpsde904aba.png

This amazing item is a replacement for the Medic's medigun, made by him with assistance from the Engineer when the Medic just got tired of having to turn to heal one target, then another, then another, when everybody wanted him to heal them. It heals any teammate within range of it, and works automatically so you don't have to take the time to get out your medigun to heal somebody. It's ideal for the combat medic!

(The detail about being able to heal multiple targets and having it automatically heal so you can use other weapons as you do so will be the most likely for Valve to actually have from all the ideas I have in mind for it. That part about the engineer and the medic is going to go into the description for the item when I submit it.)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Quick update on my texture wip, still tons of work to do, so little time, damn yous Borderlands 2!!!

SniperTextureWip_zps9cef51f9.jpg
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All class "Shades"

17Nmz

I dont like how the nose piece turned out, any good ideas of what to put there?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot for progress! I think I'm going to add a metal band on the front, gotta crush this to 512, and clean up the details!

SniperTextureWip_zps5ee4ee65.jpg
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what I have so far. Not rigged/posed yet. Having a lot of trouble with WallWorm tools. Going to downgrade max and work with the old Import export tools I had been using. Arms are paintable and eyes glowComments?

shot2_zps474c6f94.png
    shot1_zps758c0815.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lost tons of detail crushing down my texture, too used to UDK, gotta clean up some of it, I really want to re-unwrap it and go at it again, but time is short, so maybe another day, tweak the vmt values, get the scope working, get the bolt rigged, tons of stuff!

*edit* I can't take my own half ass-ness in my unwrap, redoing as we speak!

LookingGlassInGame1_zps6d3f4559.jpg
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    Started work on exploded variations. Will address the Blu texture next as I feel its not up to par with Red!

Feedback welcome.

fworkwip.jpg
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RetroMike wrote: »
    Question for you more experience .vmt writers. If I wanted to make a paintable texture with specific areas that glow can I use the string "$selfillummask <texture>" to mask the self illuminated area or would there be conflict?

I think that can be done. If you're having problems you can try with two different vmts pointing to the same vtf. One for the paintable areas and one for the selfillum stuff.
    NeoDement wrote: »
    Scary hair for Medic:
    Vote for it if you like that kinda thing, thanks

Awesome. Oddly enough, that's more or less how my hair looks like in real life XD.
    I'm a first year 3d student, If anyone has the time I'd appreciate a draw over and critique, Note this is not done I'm just exploring an idea I might make. Please critique edge flow and form/silhouette and even my render presentation, Tear my shit apart.

Top sphere may have too many tris. And from what I can see, the hat lacks some thickness.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New unwrap means new coat of paint, hopefully this will make up for where I was going before;

NewUnwrap.jpg

LookingGlassInGame2.jpg
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16
    @kite212:

I'd look at darkening the base metal (barrel etc.), its a bit too light generally and definitely for TF2. Look at the swatches on the TF2 texturing thread and see what the other weapons have used.

Whats the polycount at? I'd be tempted to just chamfer some of the edges on the spyglass and I'm unsure if the grooves in the length of the spyglass scope are making the model too noisy? My thoughts anyway!

Adjusted Blu texture for firework, should be able to get it in-game this week - if time allows!

Comments welcome!

"Blast Off" Blu and "Rocket To 'Em" Red!

fworkwip.jpg
  • Alpha4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boxart1h.jpg

My newest hat. Got an airforce theme to it. Click the image to go to it's workshop page.

What do you guys think of it?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @maty
    Thanks for the feedback! I will look into darkening some of the grays. I need to go in and fix my seam tonight anyways. One of the pieces I was using as a reference was nrek’s Sydney Sleeper, and the barrel on that is even lighter than mine. I need to fix the seam, fix the muzzle and shell casing attachments, rig the bolt, and get the scope envmap on. After that I will update it again tonight.
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Kite212 - The stock looks very plain in comparison to the rest of the gun. Maybe give it some detail? (cos that's what everyone wants to hear after they've done the UVs)

@ Maty - The functionality of your fireworks seems odd to me. A stick grenade hitting someone and exploding works as it had the detonator in there to set it off. Why would a firework explode when it hits someone?

@ Alpha - The logo looks kinda busy and makes me wonder what resolution your texture is at. Why does the yellow border have very fine stripes along it? Maybe desaturate the colours a bit. Generally solid hat but don't put it into workshop now as it will be buried under Halloween.
  • Alpha4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Kite212 - The stock looks very plain in comparison to the rest of the gun. Maybe give it some detail? (cos that's what everyone wants to hear after they've done the UVs)

@ Maty - The functionality of your fireworks seems odd to me. A stick grenade hitting someone and exploding works as it had the detonator in there to set it off. Why would a firework explode when it hits someone?

@ Alpha - The logo looks kinda busy and makes me wonder what resolution your texture is at. Why does the yellow border have very fine stripes along it? Maybe desaturate the colours a bit. Generally solid hat but don't put it into workshop now as it will be buried under Halloween.

Thanks for the input. The logo was put on to make it seem upright as the soldier stands but it is something I was thinking about. The res is 1024x1024 as it allows for a non blurry logo to be shown in game. The border stripes are intentional to give it more detail like the real life version.

The colour is one that is used in the game with one of the paints. Team Spirit I think.

I have submitted it along with my other Halloween item. I know it'll get buried but that's why I posted it here.

Also, I only started game modelling two weeks ago. I'm still learning new stuff each day.

EDIT: Changed to 256x256.
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model by me, textures by Cuntsman:

pnhyr.pngHpsVK.png
  • SgtR007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got back from a brutal hike in the Grand Canyon followed by debauchery in Vegas. I did a little more work on this little guy and called it a wrap. Don't worry, I didn't make an Engi version.
    Please vote on the Workshop now, or when it's linked in the NoTLU.
    401B282C7AF90AC1AD4F69748501F169C1D36A95

But I DID make it paintable!
    3B0F10ED86949B6E5674D54B00ABD791C00D8844
  • maty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty polycounter lvl 16

A grenade actually runs off a fuse - it has no "detonator". In fact, a firework and grenade operate in exactly the same way: a fuse is lit, the fuse burns down it's length and causes detonation. It is just the construction, materials and fuse material that vary. A firework at least has a more fragile construction which would, in my opinion, better explain an explosion on impact than a metal hulk of a grenade.

That is my opinion, anyway. In a game that already includes explode-on-hit-grenades, rocket jumping and syringe-firing weapons - an exploding firework doesn't seem too far-fetched to me.

Still, I'm open to other ideas and interpretations for this weapon!

On that note: I'm having big issue with the specular not working. Its on full, on all models. I have the following materials:

Original mesh:
    512x Red diffuse, alpha as specular/phong
    512x Blu diffuse, alpha as specular/phong

Exploded mesh:
    - Primary
    512x Red diffuse burned, alpha as specular/phong
    512x Blu diffuse burned, alpha as specular/phong

- Secondary
    256x interior damage, alpha as specular

Am I doing something wrong with the material set-up?

Thanks!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alpha4 - The texture size for hats should be no bigger than 512x512

@Ruskeydoo - not really what one wants to hear after a 2nd unwrap and texture, but I value feedback, and i need to fix some seams anyways, so I can see what details i can add to the stock. I was thinking of putting some of the card suites on it, for the whole wonderland theme, not sure though

@maty - hows the specular/phong set in the vmt? I personally use the alpha of my normal to store the spec map, to my understanding that was Valve best practice.
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pyro version of "Shades"

18BRB
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I can not find any information on getting the default scope envmap texture on my scope, anyone got any info on this?

Wow I feel stupid, 2 sec in notepad++ and i have my answer
  • Ruskeydoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maty wrote: »
    A grenade actually runs off a fuse - it has no "detonator".

While not infallible wikipedia disagrees: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_24_grenade

Finally got the set done:

8024913736_71f9076208.jpg

If you like it then put a ring on it. Failing that upvote and fav works too.