Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Artist for WorldAlpha: Feedback Wanted

Well, I just hired our first full-time artist for WorldAlpha. Serge is a great artist (IMHO) and he is looking to get some feedback on his work. I'm doing this for him, as he is too busy producing more great images for WorldAlpha. Let us know what you think either positive or negative. Specific images or the whole collection. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance. (editted to clarify Serge knows I'm doing this)

84.jpg
Cotton

85.jpg
Warehouse

83.jpg
Television

meat.jpg
Meat

meal.jpg
Meal

grain.jpg
Grain

fruitsandvegetables.jpg
Fruits and Vegetables

electroniccomponent.jpg
Electronic Component

cars.jpg
Car

bedroom.jpg
Bedroom Set

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• Ashaman73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    Does he know, that you post it here and ask for C&C, because most people would like to know such things and want to be treated fairly.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i assume its meant to be concept art? if so i could work from it looks decent.
  • worldalpha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73, yes, I have let him know that I would be putting out his work.
    Nick2730, it is actually 2D icons for the game, not concept art.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Dat meat makes me hungry... ^^

Well, they are really big icons... should see with ingame real size to judge...
  • worldalpha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The icons are going to be that size, when you zoom in, to actually purchase a car, etc. when represented in inventory, etc. they will be smaller. So, what you are looking at are ingame sizes.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    That definitely looks like art. Congrats on hiring an artist and not a carpenter or a truck.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here, and I really don't think it is appropriate for an employer to post an employee's work looking for "honest feedback."

Here's some honest feedback, but not what you were looking for, I'd imagine:

If you're looking for information to help review him, an internet forum is not the appropriate place to go - there are plenty of people here that make AAA astounding work and still get critical feedback, and there are people who make utter shit that doesn't merit giving them any critical feedback because they'll never post it. Neither of these are relevant to an employee review process.

I would really recommend not doing this in the future. It is, at best, naive and unprofessional on your part, and will scare off future artists.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do have to agree with ghost tho, what is the point in this? If I found out my employer did this id be pretty agitated
  • worldalpha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I should clarify, this isn't being done behind his back. He knows about it. From his emails to me "Yep sure you can post my images no problem. I do enjoy reading people's criticism." and "I do appreciate letting me know that you're posting this up and asking me if it's okay, it is fine."
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright so he knows, but what are you trying to accomplish? If he wants feedback he can post here himself but why are you doing it?
  • worldalpha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I explained it in my adjust OP. I'm doing this for him, as he is too busy producing more great images for WorldAlpha. I don't want to distract him, when I can do it for him. WE just want some feedback. This post feels like its falling of the rails.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I like that there's definitely an established and unified style here. IMO the weakest point in the images is warped perspective, like on the car, fruit, and bed. Other than that I think this looks fine.

I'm still a little confused as to why they are so large if they're icons, I guess I would have to see how they functioned first hand to get it :)

I also get that you're looking to improve the art on your project together and get feedback in general. But maybe it'd be a lot easier to critique if there was context. Like maybe if you told us the premise of the game, what you're going for, and some sort of setting that these objects are in so we can tell if they fit or not. (I know you linked the site but still some sort of intro would help)

Hope your game takes off! Seems like an interesting concept.
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    posting to a forum takes, what, 10 minutes at most? if he wanted critique he would post this himself...
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
    @worldalpha concerning the questioning comments you are receiving: I think there is a misunderstanding here. You're intentions seem good and you seem enthusiastic about helping your new hire but posting other people's art to get it critiqued, whether you ask them or not, is kind of seen as bad form and a little bit weird and therefore maybe even suspicious. Maybe someone else will explain this in more detail, but we're all kind of busy too so don't be surprised if people just go strait to questioning you.

[edit]:
    Not trying to lecture you or sound condescending or anything, just trying to explain people's reactions a bit... Anyway, congrats on the new hire and good luck with your games!
  • kippernicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kippernicus polycounter lvl 11
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    That definitely looks like art. Congrats on hiring an artist and not a carpenter or a truck.

Read that 10 min ago. Still laughing. :D

@worldalpha Props to you for showing an interest in getting outside feedback on your artist's work, for your artist. I'd appreciate it if my boss were to do that for me while I was busy working. Sounds like you have a very dedicated artist on your hands; and talented, from the looks of it. GIVE THAT MAN A RAISE!! :)

I think this was mentioned in another post, but the only thing that sticks out for me would be the odd proportions on the car and bedroom images. There's a difference in detail between some of the images as well, but it's pretty minor.
  • Ashaman73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    My fellow is a forum grump too, it is hard to get him to post some of his work. ;-)

The icons are ok, but if he want to improve on something, he should start with the perspective. The bed, warehouse and car have some irritating issues with it. Though this might not be a problem when scaled down.