Home Technical Talk

2:1 UV in MudBox workarounds?

Karaoke_Warrior
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
Is there a way to get MudBox to paint a 2:1 uv'ed FBX without having to scale up and down between 1:1 and 2:1? The reason why I like using MudBox is because I'm painting directly on a texture and my result is What I See Is What I Get. When you scale a texture horizontally from 2048 to 1024, you lose those pixels, and photoshop merely interpolates between them when you scale back up again. I know it's nitpicking, but I was just wondering.

The only thing I can think of is using a larger UV resolution. So if your target map is 1024x512, you'd actually use 1024x1024 in Max and just use half. And when you're ready scale the UVs back using pivot and % snaps, and then crop the texture file. Memory may be an issue with this method though.

Does anyone here have any cool workarounds for this?

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    move the uvs to the second uv tile from 1-2...
    the only downside is that you cant cross the border line between the first and the second uv tile...

afterwards you could merge the two textures in photoshop and scale the uvs back...

have you tried to import a 2:1 texture as layer and paint on them..?
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
    oglu wrote: »
    have you tried to import a 2:1 texture as layer and paint on them..?

I tried that the other day and MudBox squishes it back to 1:1.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    No fancy workarounds that I know of - I merely do what was previously mentioned, which is paint in a 1:1 map, using the largest dimension of the 2:1 map for the size. Then after I'm done, throw it into PS and scale it to half the vertical size to get back to 2:1.