Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Museum Lobby

Hey everyone this is a project I have been working on recently for my portfolio. it is a museum lobby set around the 1930's nd 1940's time era (art deco tastic).I have finished up the basic layout/ block out textures and highpoly models comming soon as I work on them!

I will keep posting my progress here for everyone to check out please help me out with this one I want it to look awesome!

cheers!

Here is a reference palate which I am using to help me out with mood and 3D asset creation.

referance.jpg

Replies

• michaelmilette
    Here everyone,

here's my first render for you all :)

in your opinion is my lighting working trying to create a warm early morning mood (I want the scene to be before the museum opens so garbage needs to be picked up floors cleaned all in all the lobby will be in a very subtle messy chaos before the next wave of people arrive for the opening exhibit).

The posters on the side of the rooms will have old style painted adds like in the reference I posted for new exhibits dinosaurs medieval art ETC.

Render3_CLOSE.jpg

cheers!
  • michaelmilette
    Hey guys here is another small update

-added carpet stair runner
    -increased the size of all of the pillars in the scene to ground the scene more, also I don't think the small pillars in the last update could support such a heavy support beam.
    -added more detail to the pillar model and started base textures.
    -brought the camera closer to the dinosaur stature to tighten up the scene.

render4.jpg
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    This is shaping up to be a real nice piece of work :)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff so far
    What story telling elements do you plan on adding?
  • michaelmilette
    Hey Hiten! thanks for the comment

in order to push this piece over the edge I am going to create 30's styled posters for museum exhibits going on which will be hung up in the frames that are currently hanging on the wall.

since this scene is about a museum before it is cleaned up and reopened for the public I am going to mess it up a bit put some garbage and stuff lying around to emphasize the cleaners haven't done their thing yet.

Also going to add a door with a banner in the back advertising the museum as well (I am really trying to push museum I wan't it to be the first thing you think when you look at this piece).

I hope this answers your question

Cheers!

@NathanBarrett : Thanks man I am working very hard on this trying to make it awesome!
  • michaelmilette
    Flooring update!

in the renders I have posted here I used a fill in texture for the flooring. Now I have created a completely custom floor texture (took around 3 hours from start to finished renders).

Cheers!
    FloorRenderforupload-1.jpg
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    its a nice texture but it doesn't look like its tiling correctly
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Ohhh nice to see an art deco scene, love the styling. Looks to be going in a great direction. If your looking for some reference material to help you understand more about art deco I would highly recommend this book.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Art-Deco-Architecture-Regionalism/dp/0393019705/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346707843&sr=1-2"]American Art Deco: Architecture and Regionalism: Amazon.co.uk: Carla Breeze: Books[/ame]

Although its mainly exteriors it does have some interiors. Also as you have a lot of iconography I would highly recommend this book also.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Welcome-Big-Biba-Inside-Beautiful/dp/1851496645/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1Q6E1BDIRBCHC&coliid=I3PEH8LQDKSMVA"]Welcome to Big Biba: Inside the Most Beautiful Store in the World: Amazon.co.uk: Steven Thomas, Alwyn W. Turner: Books[/ame]

It has a bit of everything but is bursting at the seems with art deco ideas.
  • michaelmilette
    @AzzaMat: thanks for the comment I will recheck my texture and re-post cheers

@Ichll3D : thanks for the links! I love art books! I really like the looks of "american art deco" that book looks like it would have a lot of great reference I could pull from.
  • michaelmilette
    Hey everyone here is a small update I made a plant holder for all of my ferns in the scene.

full scene update coming soon! :)

Cheers!

PlantHolder-1.jpg
  • michaelmilette
    Hi everyone here is my final floor render

Things I changed :)

Fixed Tiling
    Cube map reflections
    vertex paint compatible
    added some extra gloss

Wanted to make the floor look like it was still in use so I cleaned it up a bit and added a cube map reflection to make it look like it has been washed and polished for new museum attendees. (with some wear and tear to show age)

FloorRender.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think you need to lighten up the black tiles on the spec, the black tiles should be almost as shiny as the gray ones.
  • michaelmilette
    @ZacD : good call on the spec all fixed up and reposted

cheers!

FloorRender-1.jpg
  • michaelmilette
    Hey everyone here is an update on my museum lobby.

MuseumLobby.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    I've got the biggest hard on for art-deco and I think you pulled it off well. My only feedback is the size of he bricks on the wall seem to be a bit too big. If you imagine the size of a human using the chairs as reference, and stand him up next to one of those bricks, I think you'll see what I mean.
  • michaelmilette
    Hi pangarang: Thanks for the feedback! I can see where you are coming from with the bricks I can fix that up no problem
  • DanRobson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanRobson polycounter lvl 6
    Good start! In line with Pangarangs comment I also think the floor tiles look a little big. If you're basing this size on some specific reference then fair enough, but I think generally (and in the ref you've posted) they are a fair bit smaller than this.

I think once you get around to it, the dinosaur should definitely be the focal point of your piece. With that in mind, I would try and sell this by lighting the scene to draw attention to, and show of the dinosaur in it's best light. The light coming through the ceiling would be great for this, also maybe think about some upward pointing spotlights around the base of the display? The more contrast between the focal points and the rest of the scene the better...

...Just a thought!
  • michaelmilette
    Hi Dan:

I am totally going to scale down my tiles and play around with them a bit see how they turn out. As for the dinosaur lighting I already have spotlights and a base light underneath the sculpture complete (They are not showing up so great because there is a simple white texture on the block out killing my light contrast).

cheers
  • michaelmilette
    Hello again :)

Here is an update on my flooring scale I have made it quite a bit small so that it gells a lot more with the scene and the surrounding props.

as always critiques and comments always welcome :P

cheers!

MuseumLobby2.jpg
  • michaelmilette
    Hi everyone!,

Instead of making a dinosaur for my scene I wanted to show off my sculpting abilities so I changed it up to a Lion here is my high poly sculpt.

Cheers!.

Lion.jpg
  • michaelmilette
    Hello I haven't posted here in a while here is where my scene is at at the moment

cheers.

Museum1_zpseff1edf1.jpg
    museum3_zps2cc5caba.jpg
    museum2_zps703b729f.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The lion should have have some type of pedestal to sit on. It doesn't have to be as big as the one in your reference pick, but something to pick it up off the ground.
  • michaelmilette
    I agree about the base that is something I will add in for my final I will have it completed tomorrow :)
  • michaelmilette
    So I took the Lighting under consideration I knew it was my original was rather bland so I switched it up a bit.

I went through several lighting configurations with my piece
    Midday too over saturated no focus
    Night time kind of bland I wanted some more interest
    Also tried making colored lighting ie (dexs ex and bio shock themed) but that did not make sense for the time period

So I am officially settling on sunrise! With light rays my piece gains some more interest and the warm colour of the sun landing on the lion creates a focal point for the viewer. At least this is what I was trying to accomplish.

what do you think and what can I tweak.

cheers!

MuseumSUNLIGHTBOOM_zpsd166b378.jpg
  • michaelmilette
  • michaelmilette
    Hi Chilidog12345: thanks for The comment I was thinking the same thing about the privacy rope I don't know what it is called either lol :). So I shall put my lion on a simple colonial stand and place the rope around the base and see what happens I fear the rope may clutter the small space up but I think it might look pretty cool great call

Cheers
  • michaelmilette
    Hello everyone,

So I feel like I am finally done with this scene I have been working really hard on it and I think it has reached a point where I am happy with it.

Here are some renders for the finished product.

If there are still things wrong with the scene please leave a comment and I will fix them up.

Cheers. :)

MuseumFinal_zps5f3351f6.jpg
    MuseumFinal3_zpsd2e01a08.jpg
    MuseumFinal2_zpse65ebe8c.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Mike,

Been watching this for a little while, you've been doing some excellent work here. However I want you to know you I really feel you need to give this another lighting pass. Right now everything feels a bit too warm, and saturdated. There's a lot of different materials and objects in your scene so you should really focus on popping them out!

I like the warm tone, however try balancing that with a cool tone for the areas in shadow, to allow your objects that are made of metal, etc to really pop. Don't be afraid to add a directional that counters the main lighting, with shadows off, to provide a subtle cool color to under light some areas such as the lion etc.

I really feel you can push this further. Good luck!
  • michaelmilette
    Thank you very much Shogun3d I have been working very hard at making my portfolio stronger and honing my skills.

I agree with you about the lighting I want to cool it down a bit because it pop's out my crimson banners that are mounted on the structural pillars but it always looks too bland. So I will give a cold directional light to go with my main warm toned light I will post some results. Lighting is definitely not my forte but I really want to learn more about it I have a lot of fun creating mood.

If anyone has some great lighting resources and would like to share that would be really awesome :)
  • michaelmilette
    Ok so I have added in a (for a lack of a better word) opposing cool blue light. I made it subtle because I still wanted the scene to feel warm but I think it adds some more character to the piece plus it balances the warmth and brightens the scene up a bit.

What do you think

thanks to Shogun3d for the great suggestion.
    MuseumFinalBlue_zps724df37a.jpg
  • michaelmilette
    does anyone know how I can upload my photos so that they don't compress? I am using Photobucket at the moment but I don't like the results

cheers!
  • walklikethis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That lion makes this piece.

Try and get some more levels going on in it though.. Almost blown out light on teh extreme top left could look good.

Looking very good though
  • michaelmilette
    Hi Chilidog12345

your idea about the vip rail was awesome and it helped push the scene up so thank you for the suggestion.

Cheers!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    The cools make a huge difference. Excellent work my man.