Home General Discussion

enviroment portfolio # of peices,

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
how many pieces should an environment portfolio have and what should it consist of?

what ive thought of...

3 environment props

2 hard surface mechanical

2 character (just for fun)

3 environments

should I have more, less?

in relation to the last 3 environments, how large should the environments be? what should I try and prove in these environments?

thank you!

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Don't worry about quantity, worry about quality.

My portfolio has 3 environments, 3 props (2 of which are part of environment breakdowns, 1 low poly vehicle, a few material breakdowns, and a logo I did which was used on a project.

Don't EVER put something in your portfolio because you feel you don't have enough, because you'll be judged by your worst piece you share.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Quality >>>>>>>>>> Quantity.

There is no exact number and you shouldn't think that way. Variety is what's important (props, environments, fx, etc), but if you have a standout piece or two, that will be the key, ultimately. I've seen people get hired for having 4 props on their portfolio at high profile studios just because the work is so good.

If you make something you feel is quality, put it in. If it doesn't leave it out.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    It would be better to have 1 AMAZING piece that shows a mix of organic and hardsurface work then a number of bad ones.

If your trying to get a job as an environment artist why would you have characters in there? It only shows employers that you don't really know what you want to do. "Oh he has props and environments and characters, clearly this guy is all over the place and might not enjoy doing environments all day and after a while will want to switch to characters. We don't need someone like that."

If your going tailor your portfolio for environments, dont add characters. Focus on environments with a mix or hardsurface and organic elements.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I've seen portfolios with one enviroment and break downs of props that look amazing. One good enviroment should be enough if you can fill the rest of it. If you want to do smaller enviroments like hallways or anything that has limited angles, do 3 or so.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Environment portfolio should have environments.

Making an environment or two gives you enough room to show your prop and hardsurface skills, so I don't see a point going out of your way to create some more.

Show people that you can do good space layout, composition, color, mood and lighting. They can outsource props but they can't outsource environments.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't do character stuff...your not a character artist.

sure, do 3 environment props.....in your environments.

Sure, do some mechanical stuff....in your environments.

Seriously, don't fret over how much stuff you want in your portfolio. Just focus on making badass art to the best of your ability, then keep your best looking stuff on your site.

echoing everybody else.....quantity < quality.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You should at least have one environment. That's it, really. There's no minimum or maximum in terms of how many. Just make every piece the best you can.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    As you work on new ones, replace old pieces for your portfolio, so it strengthens overall.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Who would get hired:

Dude with 1 piece in his portfolio that is very well made and extremely creative. It's likely gone viral.

Dude with 5 pieces in his portfolio that are well made but not creative. It's probably been seen by a few people in the game art community and his mother.

Both? Maybe. But who would you rather be?

My point; I am not saying make 1 portfolio piece. I am saying make something great that shows you know how to be a modeler, a texture artist, a lighter and that you are a creative individual. Look at the results honestly and, if compared to others out there you are not happy wth the results, move on to the next piece and go through the process again. You'll eventually end up with an amazingly creative well made portfolio piece (or a bunch of decently made and 'sort of' creative pieces). ;)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Honestly, doing some nice organic sculptural elements like bas-relief sculptures and ornate trim and that kind of stuff seems more useful than another gas pump or wheelie bin or gun.

Showing you have some sculpture chops in zbrush is going to be more useful than hard surface work. A lot of people are good at hard surface work. It is, in my opinion, easier than getting good organic sculptural shapes that are often found in architecture. Getting some good natural elements and sculptural elements as call-outs rather than hard surface junk is going to show a lot more capability than another sci-fi greeble.

But yeah, I'll echo that the small the number, the better, so long as they're all quality.