Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragunov SVD (WIP)

dragunovHPfinished1.JPG

dragunovHPfinished2.JPG

High Poly Dragunov SVD portfolio piece (work in progress)

I'm about to start on the low poly tonight and hopefully get it finished by the weekend. I'll only have a week to texture it before it's due.

This is the first gun I've ever attempted and man it was difficult! However, I learned a lot in the process...

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Lew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lew
    Only thing I can spot that looks off is that pinching on the stock, i'm assuming from too many edge loops...also that line down your scope, have you forgot to merge the two halves or somthing? Easy fixes

You might want to loosen some of your edges, especially on the scope mount, if your baking it down for better results, that seems to be what everyone says about everyone's weapons haha.

looking good tho :)
  • SunTank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lew,

I found more reference without the rubber seam in the scope than with it so I removed it (it was supposed to be a flange created by the manufacturing process). I also deleted some edge loops and worked with the ones I had a little better to remove most of the pinching in the stock.

dragunovHPupdated1.JPG
  • Lew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lew
    looking alot better now, but after going and looking at some reference for the SVD the stock is alot more ergonomic and round, its also not symmetrical, there's a chunk missing out the other side (tho I can't see if you have modeled it in or not from this angle, if so, my bad)

6207.jpg
    Also why is it so hard to find an actual photo reference of this gun, 90% of google is other 3D models of it... haha
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    References
    Detail wise it looks accurate and well done.
    However the edge tightness is too tight in my opinion. There isn't enough curvature to create generous highlights along the edges to be captured smoothly in a low resolution texture map or when the asset it viewed at a distance.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Looking pretty sweet, though I am a tad biased since this is easily my favorite sniper rifle to date :) But I would say, that the scope comes way to far back and the forward support pieces for the stock are too short, which help bring the check rest forward, making the long scope really reach back to far. The end of the scope is a tad too long as well. Keep it coming though! Looks great so far as a whole!
  • SunTank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dragunovref.JPG

I think my reference may just be off. this was the best side view of the dragunov I could find! most are either 3d like red rogue said, or 2d like my reference.

I will adjust the edges since they are too tight, before I do a normal map. Thanks for the advice!

edit- the wire frame in this image is half of the semi finished lowpoly and highpoly... oops! but you get the idea
  • SunTank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final_Dragunov.png

Here's what I turned in for my portfolio piece. I know it's missing some things and I will definitely tweak it before it goes onto my demo reel. I didn't get around to really smoothing out some of the edges so I tried to bring them out in the spec map.

Being my first gun, I've learned a lot from this and I'll definitely do some things differently next time. Thanks for the help everyone!!
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    The bake looks like it came out well, but the texturing could be better.
    The material for the PSO-1 optic, sniper scope, is a lot lighter metal with a grainy pattern very noticeable in the specular reflections.
    PSO-1C1.jpg
    The wood shouldn't have a default specular reflection colour of blue, and have such a big specular difference between grain in the wood. It will likely be coated with some type of finish and have a much more glossy appearance.
    dr1.jpg
    The basic dark metal also has a lot of cloudy paint like splatters that aren't helping the material definitions. I'd suggest toning down the contrast of these discolourations on the diffuse, and then increasing them in the specular and gloss maps and seeing how that works for you.
  • SunTank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I have to work on my next portfolio piece starting Monday, but I will definitely go back to tweak it before demo reel month.

I was using marmoset and wasn't sure how to import a gloss map :(
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    To use a gloss map in Marmo you use the alpha of your spec map :)

The gun looks nice!
  • SunTank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh thanks that really helps! I'll experiment and see what I can get out of it. I've never used gloss maps before :/