Home Technical Talk

Headus UVlayout problems

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Bubba91873 polygon
Anyone else experiance this program deleting polygons and or placing them in odd places throughout your scene ?
I'm using v2.08 with 3ds max 2013 obj exported using the zbrush obj preset.

I'll get the odd faces error message on import and those were some ngons. so I brought it back into max and fixed those. I bring the model back into uvlayout without any error message and it still deletes polies and leaves holes throughout my model parts....I see the holes when I bring the model back into 3ds max to check it.
I dont see the holes in uvlayout.The polies are were they are suppose to be.

This is really frustrating and I see no reason for this to be happening.

Also before I export I make sure the pivots are centered, reset xform is put on all parts and stacks is collapsed.
I then will alt right click and freeze transforms hoping that might also prevent the polies from behaving strangely.

Any advise ?

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I haven't used Headus in about 3 years but back then it would show an error message of corrupted faces - and sometimes it would fix it but often times it would just go wrong. Those problematic areas were often caused by n-gons (5+ sides faces) which again were often the result of a symmetry modifier in max. With polyBoost or now known as graphite modeling tools you have some tools to select or highlight odd n-gon faces, this might help cleaning the model up when exporting to Headus.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    renderhjs wrote: »
    I haven't used Headus in about 3 years but back then it would show an error message of corrupted faces - and sometimes it would fix it but often times it would just go wrong. Those problematic areas were often caused by n-gons (5+ sides faces) which again were often the result of a symmetry modifier in max. With polyBoost or now known as graphite modeling tools you have some tools to select or highlight odd n-gon faces, this might help cleaning the model up when exporting to Headus.

Yes I did get the odd faces error but I brought the model back into max and removed all ngons orginiaally before i posted here.Turned them into quads.I didnt allow it to clean the model becuase it messes it up for me too.

When I brought the obj back into uvlayout and laid out uv's and brought it back into max ( btw there were no errro mesaage on this 2nd import) it removed polygons and I had gaping holes throughout all objects in my max scene.

Any advise to avoid uvlayout creating holes in the mesh and recombing objects in wierd ways ?
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    I like the workflow in uvlayout, but the fact of it deleiting polygons and recombing parts of the mesh in ways that totally destorys the object is a gamebreaker for me when I bring it back into 3ds max.

The file doesnt have any ngons or non-manifold edges, or any double faces. I checked those with stl check modifier prior to export from max.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    If your okay with this maybe you can upload the model and I can load it in my UVLayout and see what happens...I don't have the newest version of UVlayout though
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Bubba91873 wrote: »
    I like the workflow in uvlayout, but the fact of it deleiting polygons and recombing parts of the mesh in ways that totally destorys the object is a gamebreaker for me when I bring it back into 3ds max.
    Ah yeah that was always the thing and which forced always a linear workflow - unwrapping first and additional UV tweaks in max.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Kbrom12 wrote: »
    If your okay with this maybe you can upload the model and I can load it in my UVLayout and see what happens...I don't have the newest version of UVlayout though

I wouldnt mind doing so, the file compressed is 40 megs. It is the GW Tiger tank that I made in this thread here:
    http://www.military-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5642

Currently I have it cut in half and was planning on using symmetry after bringing the model back into max so I can maximise texture density.

Keep in mind the error I was talking about doesnt appear until I bring it back into max. It looks fine in uvlayout but somehow becoming corrupted during the uv process and import back into max.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    renderhjs wrote: »
    Ah yeah that was always the thing and which forced always a linear workflow - unwrapping first and additional UV tweaks in max.

Yes that was the plan. Laying out good uv's in uvlayout and then stack and move parts off into 0-1 space in 3ds max. Doing uv's in max imo is horribad.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Sorry about the absence, I had to walk away from it due to being pissed off at it.

Here is my max import obj settings:
    import.jpg

This is the corrupted obj file. try to move around the parts in ur 3d app and ull start to see the gaping holes that headus uvlayout corrupted in the mesh. Everything was fine up until I got almost all the uv's layed out and got a fatal error message. I brought it back into max and saw what it butchered the model ;/

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ymwrd6

Here is the original max file in 2013 version for what it should look like. i have it in half for symmetry after uv's are layed out.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/2e9ekd

here is my export settings
    export.jpg