Home Technical Talk

zBrush - how to make speculars?

deolol
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
deolol polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, so ive read a lot recently that zBrush can be used entirely for the workflow, im just wondering how are things such as speculars, rim lightings etc done within zbrush and tested, if photoshop isnt used in the process.

I was shown the tristram concept and was interested to see a lot of specular, especially since it wasnt done in ps. Thanks.

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Polypainting I believe then exporting the maps or baking them in.

You could do a lot in zbrush but most find using other applications that specialize in specifics much more intuitive to use instead of an all in one with so-so ability.
    I guess It really just depends on the user/artist how dedicated are they to just stick to one application.

I wouldn't know about the rim lighting.
    This is just my best guess, hope I am not misunderstanding your questions, you'll let me know.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Being used 'entirely for the workflow' depends entire on what the workflow is.

If it's for games, for example, I wouldn't use it entirely. It can handle the bulk of the work, but generally when it gets to the stage where I'm working on the material itself, I'd switch to the engine and photoshop (etc) for that stage.

In the case of that Tristram level, this seems to be the case:
    Xtra4.jpg

(between steps 16 - 18, you're basically using maps created from zbrush / the highpoly sculpt, and painting from there)