Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

General Modeling and Character Art

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
GabeLamas polycounter lvl 8
Hi there all! I just completed a short 10-week Maya class over the summer and I'm feeling very confident at what I can put out on the software. I know not much for a class, but I do plan on expanding this thread the more I learn of what Maya has to offer (...like that's not expected!) But anyhow, crits and comments are always welcome, as they are very much needed in regards to this artist.

Glass Cup

Glass_Hi_Res_Final_Render_%28DPI_72%29.PNG

Swan Kukri Lightsaber - Concept Art

Swan%20Kukri%20Lightasaber%20-%20Concept%20Hilt%20%28Color%29%20%28DPI%2072%29.JPG

Swan Kukri Lightsaber - Model

Swan%20Kukri%20Lightasaber.png

Like I said, Crits and comments welcome anytime!

Replies

• AlexKola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, I would suggest having some fun working from one of your favourite concept artists work to train your eye a little on colour palettes, form, composition and lighting. ;)
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to do some exploring with some car paint material and putting it on my model, as well as improving the model itself so that it would display the true vision I had for this lightsaber. I do plan on improving the front part of the shroud by bringing it into ZBrush so I can bring out and play with the curvy nature of the weapon. I would like to make feathers appear on the back end of the light-blue portion of the shroud, which I think would be interesting to see, given the nature and theme of the blade. And yes, I am still experimenting with lighting; I will try to improve on this aspect as I go.

Also on a side note, I painted in some sketches I drew up for my next character WIP that I have in mind. I just hope these pieces of concept art get the message through for what I want for the character. What I have in mind is a Wyvern-Riding Warrior-Scavenger type of character that lives on the mountainside. They leave their home (part of a village???) seated on the mountianside to forage and scavenge for food. So far I all I have ready to show is the concept art. Later On I will have WIP renders of the human and the wyvern, but for now I just need a little patience for myself. What I'm doing right now is showing the sketches that I have as well as different colors
    to explore possible color schemes between the Rider, the Wyvern, and their color schemes in relation to themselves and their accessories.

Swan Kukri - Update #1

Swan%20Kukri%20Lightasaber%20%28Car%20Paint%29.png

Wyvern-Rider - Concept Art (Sketches)

Wyvern-Rider%20Concept%20%28Black%20and%20White%29%20%28Low%20Resolution%29.png

Wyvern-Rider - Concept Paintings

Wyvern-Rider%20Concept%20Notes%20%28Low%20Resolution%29.png
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there all. I'm trying re-revamp my models using Maya and Mental Ray. I'm trying to get more into compositing so that my Demo Reel Pieces look good. If you would like to reference to my earlier version of the Mercury Cruiser
    Model here's the link: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98213. As for the lightsaber I'm just doing some more
    tweaks based on a critique I got from my teacher, basically dimming the blade down so it won't be so blown out with light. I think animating the textures really did wonders for the model so far! As always, lemme know what you all think.

Mercury Cruiser

Mercury_Cruiser_(with_Car_Paint).png

Mercury Cruiser Turntable

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF-pw03FMG0&feature=plcp"]Mercury Cruiser Vehicle Turntable (Revamping Model in Maya) - YouTube[/ame]

Swan Kukri Lightsaber

Swan%20Kukri%20Lightasaber%20(Car%20Paint)%20(Color%20Edit).PNG

Swan Kukri Lightsaber Turntable

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk9ZWT-0bw4&feature=plcp"]Lightsaber Kukri (Turntable) - YouTube[/ame]
  • achillesian
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Honestly?
    These are probably one of the most basic modeling I've seen here. If you want to learn more, you have to get out of your comfort zone and start building objects that you would give you hard time to figure out. Most of your work can be done by a junior artist in a matter of minutes. They also lack a bit of creativity and sense of design that have themes or motifs.
    I say look at the top-tier artists here and study their portfolio. Ask yourself, why are they successful in making such great game art? Study up on basic design, look at concept art, schematics, start making mental notes on everything that grabs your attention. What I'm trying to say is that you need to expand your creativity first while learning how to use a program such as Maya or Photoshop.
    Good luck.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    10 weeks in to 3d is pretty early days! Keep going! Your probably a year away from anything that looks game ready but keep at it. Maybe try a light sabre that looks more like one from the film. Stay with small props to start off with so that you can bash through as many models as you can, don't get bogged down in anything too huge at this stage! Keep going!
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

It's a good start; and as said by most; your far from experienced or "being very confident at what you can pull from the software yet"!

But don't get down; I've studied for 3 years (1 at college - 2 at uni) and I'll still be learning for years to come, not only that but I only have 1 piece thats "portfolio ready" despite my years of work!

What I would suggest it look at some tutorials to expand your workflow; learning new tools, techniques and in general changing your mindset at how you would approach a particular concept should you ever be given a specific to model. - Look at websites like digital tutors, 3d Buzz etc; even youtube to follow them step by step.

There is alot more software use then maya nowadays, again this depends where you work; but if your looking to expand your knowledge and hopefully go into games in the future look at software such as marmoset, xnormal, zbrush, mudbox; or even game engines - UDK, Unity etc.

Again, i know alot of people in this thread have criticized quite harshly, but that's just the way Polycount is ;) learn from it; you've been given some advice that could hopefully help you step up into the game world. - now the worlds your oyster :)
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the much needed critiques. I will continue working and improving my modeling approaches, skills, and techniques. I am looking forward to expanding my concepts past the bulky, basic shapes that compose them, and finding ways to add more detail to my models. I would continue doing work in 3Ds Max, but I feel more comfortable with modeling tools that give more control over my work like Maya's tools. In the future I would like to delve into other modeling programs, but for know I want to start off slow and concentrate my modeling skills in Maya.
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updating one of my older vehicle models to be more higher in polygon count, the Futuristic Shuttlecar. I'm updating this model so that I can "take it further". For reference on this vehicle, you can follow this link pertaining to the model: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98175. I will post more updates once I add color and work on the materials, but in the meanwhile please C&C.

Futuristic Shuttlecar (High-Poly) - WIP Renders

Futuristic_Shuttlecar_(3_0)_WIP_Render_Set_01_(2012_09_22).png
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing much new in this post. I was experimenting with lighting to make thses models for presentable for a portfolio. I do see that they are very basic models and I will be taking that into consideration for my next project. I am finding depth passes to be very much helpful when compositing.

Glass_Cup_(Final_Render_High_Resolution).jpg
    Futuristic_Shuttlecar_(3_0).jpg
    Weapon_Lightsaber_CustomSwanKukri.jpg
    MercuryCruiser_(Final_Render).jpg

On a whim I just felt the sudden need to model the T.A.R.D.I.S. This is a high-res model--around 200,000 triangles--which is the highest I've been so far in terms of triangles. The textures could use some work, but I had fun messing with the incandescence and glow settings.

TARDIS_(Final_Render)_(Version_02).jpg

And some more concept artwork for my Hunter and Wyvern dual-Concept. This time I took some time to think things through and made silhouettes, then tried some quick and dirty sketches. I feel that I am satisfied with how this sketch came out, though I will make some changes when I go through the modeling process.

Hunter

Wyvern_Riding_Hunter.jpg

Wyvern
    Wyvern_Concept_Art.jpg

Yeah, I know there may not be much improvement in my modeling repetoire, but I feel like I'm getting there. This is a big change from the low-resolution game resolution models that I've been more my first couple of years of modeling. Anyway there will be some WIP renders will be uploaded later for my Hunter character. Any C&C's will be appreciated.