Home Technical Talk

zbrush n00b questions..

Cube Republic
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
Hi there,

I purchased zbrush couple years back and never really got into it. I concentrated on blender instead. From reading the polycount forums, my expanding understanding of 3D and given advice, I've learnt that zbrush has some really awesome features, especially for creating maps and textures. So I've got a tutorial on making tiling textures using zbrush. It's a pretty good tutorial, however one thing not directly related to it has me stumped. This is when I save a zbrush document and then reopen it, the object I was working on cannot be selected. Excuse the holes in my knowledge, but am I just not getting something? A clear explanation in layman terms would be appreciated. I've tried reading through the zbrush wiki and I can't make sense of it. I do most of my modelling in blender, and want to get more into sculpting and high poly work for textures in zbrush.

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    because you have to save zbrush objects out as tools ie tool save as. OR you can save the whole thing as a zbrush project

i think saving as a doc just flattens everything and gives you a 2d image
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    right, so zbrush isn't really for rendering and 3D scenes? I'm confused lol, what happens if your canvas contains multiple tools?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    You can render stuff out but its just for testing only. The function is called "Best Render Preview," it should be found on the right of your zbrush view port. Also, like Ruz stated; You have to save it as Ztl, not as the document. You would require to save each Zbrush Tool separately unless you merge them. If you require them re-construct the low polygon in zbrush you can export it out as .Obj.

Good luck
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    This is when I save a zbrush document and then reopen it, the object I was working on cannot be selected. Excuse the holes in my knowledge, but am I just not getting something? A clear explanation in layman terms would be appreciated.

Think of a zbrush document as a photoshop document: it's just an image (it even exports as .PSD).

If you want to save the model, save the 'tool' (the 3d model) or project (document + tools + other settings) as Ruz suggested. Saving a tool saves every subtool under it.

If you have a lot of separate tools (not subtools), saving the project will save all these (which means projects can get pretty massive in file size if you're not careful).
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm kinda getting it I think. This particular tutorial is for a floor tile comprising of separate bricks that I made in blender from separate objects and exported as a whole obj. I like your explanation Cryid, it makes sense. I get the feeling it can be used as a stand alone art package, but most polycount users use it as part of a pipeline for 3D.
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh got it! if I go document>save as, it saves it as I earlier mentioned. If I use the shortcut ctrl S it saves it as a zproject in the state I left it in. I feel like I've found the missing link and get on with doing stuff now :D