Home Technical Talk

3ds max alternative to the cut tool?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
Lets face it the cut tool remains broken. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you have to be in orthographic mode to use it. I mean is there like a script or something I could use thats alot more stable than 3ds max cut tool is. I spend alot of time welding verts that the cut tool failed to connect to in the first place. Any solutions?

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    well i made it a habit to press s to snap to vertices but if there's too much geo it starts to lag so i mostly am just careful with it tbh.On a side note i much prefer blender's cut tool these days :p
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    My main problem with the cut tool is that sometimes it just refuses to cut where I want it to do it, the cut ends up in a completely different place on the edge, its very weird. Kinda gotten used to it, so when it happens, I just use connect between edges and then move the vertexs when I run into this issue. It's annoying though, because I have to active the Along Edges and then move the vertex, so its extra work.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    It's gotten a little better in '2013 ..
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    McGreed: its much better if you work in ortho views.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    I generally recommend steering clear of using cut if you're going from vert-to-vert. You're going to have a nicer time just using connect (bind to a hotkey, if it doesn't have one already).

In fact, try to use connect as much possible, and use cut anywhere you can't use connect. I think that's what I do... I don't really know. I remember being annoyed by cuts many years ago, but it's either gotten better or I just don't notice it any more.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    'paint connect' in the graphite tools is awesome give that a go
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I use cut with snaps, quickslice and slice plane a lot. I've never had much issue with it but I model the same way I draw: start rough and refine.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use "Insert Vert" in edge mode alot now in place of cut. It helps to have Snaps with only edges or mid-point on but its not necessary. Then I go thru and select the new verts and connect. I actually think the new verts are already selected when you switch to vert mode... I can't remember...
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Get used to work in ortho, like others said. Perspective sucks in Max, unfortunatly.

Also, every time you press the cut tool, follow it by a press on the S (Make sure snap to verts is on) and it will work 99% of the time.

PS. Also, as a workaround to use the cut tool, get used to use connect, its awesome. Select 2 verts, press the connect hotkey, bam.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    Also, every time you press the cut tool, follow it by a press on the S (Make sure snap to verts is on) and it will work 99% of the time.
    It probably wouldn't be too hard to write a simple maxscript that does both in one key press. Maybe even use a single tap to turn on just cut and a double tap to turn on cut and snap? Humm I might have to try and write that... it could be handy.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    Selecting two verts and using the connect works wonders for me wow. Thank you. Yeah a script would be awesome. I'll try to stay in ortho view when I really need to make a cut. Paint connect I haven't tried as of yet. Thanks again everyone feeling a little bit better about max now!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I'm so happy they don't fix their tools. Because of that they have more time for REALLY IMPORTANT stuff like this:

eggspline.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Ah yes, the egg spline : game-changer!
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    mO4U5.png Lol uhm there's this famous sculptor who made an egg sculpture :p