Home General Discussion

Anyone willing to design a special tattoo?

Hi guys,

I know this is probably completely random for the polycount forums, but I was hoping someone could design a special tattoo for me. I'm currently in the US Navy, and am finishing up my time very soon. I will have been in for 12 years (well almost 12 years, actually 11 years, 11 months, and 14 days), and would like a special tattoo to signify my time in the Navy.

I was thinking about a smallish tattoo on my left forearm that contained the traditional Navy Anchor and a sailor girl on the anchor.

If anyone is up for it, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jeramy

Replies

• Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    You should have your tattoo artist design it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Jason - the majority of us on Polycount have no foundation in tattoo art. I will shamelessly pimp my brother's shop in Florida
    Crawling Panther Tattoo

I doubt he'd design it for you to get tattooed by someone else but he regularly has people flying down from all over the country to get work.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Go to a tattoo shop, look at their portfolios, and before deciding on an artist see if its possible to meet them and see them tattooing just to make sure they are constantly good at what they do, work with them to come up with a design.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    all of that: agreed
    I worked in a tattoo shop for a while - designed my fair share. I always draw my own and my wife's...but most (decent) tattoo artists would prefer if you let them help you design it. Nobody likes doing somebody elses art all day.
    Even with my pieces i always let the artist poke at the design a bit before we slap it on
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    note: stay away from flash art for pete's sake...please...for the love of all that is holy...no flash art
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea i would go in and work with your chosen tattoo artist on it.

just got my first one done a few months back, i had a pretty gd idea of what i wanted like you, i took a bunch of reference in of stuff that even had a small significant to the design i wanted, and also took a few rough sketches of the idea to set him on the right track.

then after talking to him and going over it a couple times we came up with something sick.

avoid you elbow tho!!!! that shit HURTS!!! :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Its a collaboration among artists, they know what looks best on skin, and what they can do.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Yah...my brother designed one for my cousin...he was 16...

Seriously, get it professionally designed by a tattoo artist.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    A tip is that when you have a design, photoshop it in on pictures of yourself and get an idea of how it looks like in different angles and how it reads not only when close but on a distance. i have seen tattos that look like diseases only to realise that its a tattoo while getting closer to the person. (if clothing is covering half of it will it look like a dick?)
    Just my thoughts. I hope it turns out well :)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    (if clothing is covering half of it will it look like a dick?) :)

relevant

tumblr_m8jktcMRu01qeablwo1_1280.jpg