Home Technical Talk

just a simple collar?

Hey there,

I got a little noobish problem while creating a low-poly(10-20k Polys) jacket simiular to this :br39170700vliv01.jpg

I dont get the collar right, because I have to drag the inside out, I dont know if two-sided material is the right choice, it looks odd and i dont even know if it can be importet into any engine.

Can anyone help me , how to do this the best way?

(i am using 3ds max 2010)

Replies

• Trust_me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <Bump> ..anyone?
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Some images of your attempts might help.
  • Trust_me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sorry, but there isnt realy anything helpful to show.

I just made a really simple body and copied it to get something to start with, thats how far as i am.

I am very new to modeling and just got far enough to make "ok" looking heads and hands and stuff, but when it comes to clothes i really need some help.
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    If you wanted to have two sided mesh detail, you could alternatively duplicate all the faces you want double sided and flip their normals, not 100% sure if thats a more efficient way then telling the game engine to treat the shader/mesh as double sided or if it causes z fighting(don't think it would since the normals are opposite?).
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    double sided would work and modelled out would work too of course (think of the collar as a real, double sided object with a certain thickness).

I would say: try it.. show how it looks and we can help you a lot better.

So far I can only say: try it first.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    Is 10k - 20k tris for a jacket considered low poly these days?

As for your problem, without shots of your progress it's a little difficult to give any specific response but I would assume that you're over-thinking this task, massively.

Take a look at games that might be using similar assets... Mafia 2? L.A Noire? Alan Wake? Heavy Rain? Fallout 3: New Vegas? I don't know, any game that spent a fair amount of time on character clothing. Fighting games might make the top of that list actually.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This is a relatively basic modeling task. There's no shame in not being able to wrap your head around doing it yet, but it's hard to give specific advice without knowing where you're running into trouble. You should really take a crack at it yourself and then post those results up here.

If you absolutely cannot grapple with it polymodelling, you could always sculpt up the form in zbrush and then retopo it.
  • Trust_me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, i wanna thank you all for the fast help but also sorry for my late reply. ( I wasnt at home during the last days)
    Is 10k - 20k tris for a jacket considered low poly these days?

Sorry, maybe i didnt got this straight enough, 10-20k for the entire character not just the jacket.

And here is some problem I have with double-sided material :

clnydip2.jpg

(Its just for testing, its not shaped right , actually it looks more like a shirt)

It looks odd mostly because of the lack of thickness.

If I take a look at this:
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3dsmax-qualitative-man-s-jacket/660335
    I dont really now how they managed that jacket to look so good and with just the right thickness.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The Turbosquid example is just the guy modeling the 'jacket' and then applying a Shell modifier to give it thickness, period. The whole thing has volume, not only the collar.

On the other hand, if you want to be really cheap, just detach the parts of the model that you want have thickness and apply a shell modifier, then either bend the normals of the said parts (so that they will blend with the rest of the jacket) OR if that is too complicated, just model some clever things to close the seams then between the thick parts and the flat parts, like zippers, paddings, etc.