Home General Discussion

Where does inspiration resides?

Hello lovely community, this is the kind of post where I wish to hear where do you get inspiration to keep going, it's just that I have many doubts I had the passion when I started my so called Digital Art Career in the School but now it seems it had fade away (correct me if i have grammar mistakes:)) I am learning little and with so many homework of Courses that doesn't even have to do with creativity I watch as my dream of becoming a 3D Environment Artist for Games is going away... I don't know right now I am very afraid of my future. I am in a point where every desition will have a great impact as in 1 and a Half year I am graduating from school. I can't find the inspiration to keep going and I wonder if I made a colossal mistake and as an effect I lack Discipline, please help Where Does Inspiration Resides? I will have to search for my passion again in the deeps of my heart

Replies

• FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    It resides here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89972

In a conveniently titled and stickied thread. :)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I have an inspiration folder, and also keep being on forums and such talking about it. And of course doing art and having art projects is good way of staying with it. This is just what i think can help being inspired to work. Obviously i cant say if its about lack of inspiration you have or if you just loose interest. I have had kinda the same feeling a long time ago but i got back at it when i started doing art.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    WAYWO and pressing F5 at CGhub's splash page.
  • IchII3D
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Inspiration is a tricky thing. It's difficult to maintain it at a high level naturally simply because to always be inspired to do one thing and one thing only is more a compulsive mental illness than anything else. That's why most artists say you just have to sit down and draw whether you have inspiration or not, and once you force yourself to draw the inspiration will leak in from somewhere. If you wait for inspiration, you'll run out.

Or as someone smarter than me said:
    The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case.” Chuck Close
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    On a similar note- the more studying you do i.e. life drawing, material recreation, small projects/tutorials- regardless of inspiration, the more you do to increase your knowledge and visual bank of shapes,color pallettes, historical architecture,armor. Then you have more amunition for good ideas. In any case, sometimes finding inspiration is hard to do- no matter who you are
    http://mattrhodesart.blogspot.com/2012/07/i-think-internet-broke-my-brain.html
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    seriously WHO CARES ABOUT INSPIRATION?

GET MONEY

Cash.jpg

just don't get these threads
  • KrazyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wowowo a lot of answers, this is what I like to see the part that makes the people so unique. I have been thinking about this for quite time and I aprecciate every answer, I learnt something with each of them but IMO to despise Inspiration is to accept that you are just another person in this world with the regular job waiting for the regular payment and not growing spirritually nor personally. Each person thinks different but the truth is that if i keep thinking about this nothing shall be created, really i appreciate your time to hear a lost fella.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    In my opinion *my* inspiration comes from pretty much anything. I notice this especially when drawing, in 3D I tend to step in with a more refined idea (which can come from something I drew). Usually the drawing for me is just... free flowing.

I get inspiration from books, movies, music (it can be a feeling/lyrics) conversations, people, games, nature literally everything and anything can trigger inspiration.

One thing I like to do is drawing for the sake of drawing and be surprised what comes out of it. For example, right now i have a course I follow (nothing to do with art) on tuesday and friday morning. Now with the nice weather and all I like to go and sit at my favorite cafe after the course and draw.

I can give an example from one of my latest inspirations. I was playing dark souls recently, theres a part int he game where theres some awesome silly mushroom creatures. I was so impressed with how they where made. So, these guys stuck in teh back of my mind.

Now on the terras of this cafe they have these huge parasols, and while I'm there drinking coffee, kinda randomly doodeling in my sketchbook, I see this guy on this very tall stepladder working on the parasol, pretty much dissapearing from the waist up into the parasol.

The result on paper with both inspirations combined?

010.jpg

Now in this case it was pretty clear for me what I was inspired by, but so many times I have no idea where the stuff i make comes from. All I know is that is stuff that I picked up somewhere and it comes out filtered.

So, do things, read things, watch things, let your mind wander. Doodle and eventually something will come out :D