Home Technical Talk

(Help) 3D Anime Face Modeling.

Ight, so I've been modeling for 7 years, starting from when I was 10. Its been my dream to model a fully figured anime character in 3DS Max, whom I shall name "Shiro Itami" (an original character whom I made up and drew)

Its been a few months since I tried to achieve my goal, however the faces always come out as if they contracted horse face down syndrome >.< (Sadly, i deleted all my attempts out of pure frustration)

What pisses me off even more is that I Google'd tutorials however all i found where showcases or time-laps of it being done, however I'm still confused and all. Don't tell me to search the forums, I used the nifty "Search" function for "Anime Head" or something of my topic, found nothing usefulness. So I thought I might post to the professionals here, who surely will not h ave problems helping me with a fairly basic and "anime" style face... (Compared to the amazing shit people generally posts)

I already have a basic reference "Hair not included" -> http://puu.sh/Z9mA

though how am I going to achieve this kinda face? All i know right now is I need to make square or sphere and then do shit with vertex's.. add edges.. move em around... and ugh..

Dont get me started on how Im going to do start with the hair ...

basically I want to model what looks like -> This

Is there any body who is willing to help a novice out on this? Dedicate your time to make someone more knowledgeable, or lead on with a helping hand.

In the end I only wish to achieve a decent looking anime head w/ hair.

Trust me i tried and tired, just don't know what im doing wrong, nor do I know what im doing right XD...

I know I'm pretty much asking for an lesson but, I don't know why it just aint working out for me. If you want me to go into more detail, or if you want to talk about it, simply PM me.

If you don't wish to explain or help, could you possibly lead me to a place which can atleast give me a vague but general idea on what to do? I'm good at guessing what to do... sometimes.

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Do you have any experience modeling normal heads? The workflow is the same. Any head tutorial should be helpful so don't just limit it to anime ones.

Two tips:
    1- look into getting an anime figure. It can help to get a good idea of what these kinds of faces look like when in actual 3d.

2- the bigger the eyes become, the more spheres seem to suck. If it's really stylized it might be better to keep them more planar.
  • Shiro Itami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Do you have any experience modeling normal heads? The workflow is the same. Any head tutorial should be helpful so don't just limit it to anime ones.

Two tips:
    1- look into getting an anime figure. It can help to get a good idea of what these kinds of faces look like when in actual 3d.

2- the bigger the eyes become, the more spheres seem to suck. If it's really stylized it might be better to keep them more planar.

Im a good modeler, and perhaps I can look at other tutorials, I guess im just hoping for a professional to contact me so I can go ask questions... I just wish I wasnt having so much trouble with tryign to work with things without any pirer experience nor any knowledge on how to do such a thing.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98113

There's even an anime eye breakdown in there ;)

... im not exactly using a sculpting program, andnot only that, I got to the head part before I even knew what was going on, and aperently with the guide the guy pretty much had the head finished. ... I need somethign that can teach me using 3D modeling techniques fit for 3D studio max. Thanks for the help anyways. Ill keep on trying to tackle it, perhaps I get it right eventually XD.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I just wish I wasnt having so much trouble with tryign to work with things without any pirer experience nor any knowledge on how to do such a thing.

Its cool. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, really. If you find someone that is good at modeling animeish heads, they most likely started out by modeling subpar anime heads. I don't know if your generation had the magic school bus too, but take chances, make mistakes, and get messy. Thats how you gain the experience you need.

I would start with a generic head tutorial, and start trying to work in the stylized proportions. Are you aiming to go for a more 2d/cell-shaded look with the final result, or more towards something you might see from Square?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your style has that 'flat' look, I'd suggest using alpha cards for the eyes, it seems to work really well for that. The only title I can think of offhand is Suikoden 3 on the PS2. Don't mind how low-spec this is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHRajkpM6Ck&feature=player_detailpage#t=231s

Didn't someone have a thread in the past couple months using this technique?
  • Shiro Itami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your style has that 'flat' look, I'd suggest using alpha cards for the eyes, it seems to work really well for that. The only title I can think of offhand is Suikoden 3 on the PS2. Don't mind how low-spec this is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHRajkpM6Ck&feature=player_detailpage#t=231s

Didn't someone have a thread in the past couple months using this technique?

I searched it, I didn't find it. Are you talking about using flat surfaces and just texturing the eyes on to it?
    cryrid wrote: »
    Its cool. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, really. If you find someone that is good at modeling animeish heads, they most likely started out by modeling subpar anime heads. I don't know if your generation had the magic school bus too, but take chances, make mistakes, and get messy. Thats how you gain the experience you need.

I would start with a generic head tutorial, and start trying to work in the stylized proportions. Are you aiming to go for a more 2d/cell-shaded look with the final result, or more towards something you might see from Square?

"I dont know if your generation had the magic school bus too?" Well I did watch it when i was a kid XD. Im really good with figuring out shit on my own but it gets difficult as the complexity rises. If you want, this is my latest attempt. My anime head though the result is less then sastifcatory, and when putting it into HP mode, I still dont get a "Anime" feel from it. I don't know if Im doing it right or wrong >.<. I remember when I searched this site, I never found anythign that showed me techniques, but infact, expected the reader to have prier knowledge and gave tips instead. IDK if all my face needs is hair to look alo tbetter, though it certaintly doesn't look the way I want it to. I guess im pretty much aiming fo rthe 3D realistic anime look. Its really similar to how an actual human's head is however more animeish, eyes and hair wise (Also body but I should focus on the head first). I guess an example could be "Appleseed". Realistic body proportions however is more stlylized anime. Not to much different from a realistic body, just again in "Anime" form. The colourfull cheerful, essentric anime form. Even the sexy bikini girl form if I do girls, or the hot and handsome anime boy.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I searched it, I didn't find it. Are you talking about using flat surfaces and just texturing the eyes on to it?

Yes, and setting the eye texture up as an atlas, for animating different expressions.

You seem overly concerned with tutorials, lets see some work you've done on the head so we can help solve specific problems.
  • Shiro Itami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, and setting the eye texture up as an atlas, for animating different expressions.

You seem overly concerned with tutorials, lets see some work you've done on the head so we can help solve specific problems.

My anime head not the best plus I'm not too happy with it.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    link just leads to the puush.me website.
  • Shiro Itami
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Some inspiration: http://www.3dcg-arts.net/

Follow some of the links to authors pages, they have tuts, but in Japanese. The modeling of the heads have not changed much over the years, just texture work.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a reference for the character from the side? This head lacks definition of form in the cheeks, no jaw or chin. That link from Lamont is pretty cool, you can rotate the models and get a feel for how the heads work in full 3d and get a feel for the forms of an anime face.
  • Shiro Itami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a reference for the character from the side? This head lacks definition of form in the cheeks, no jaw or chin. That link from Lamont is pretty cool, you can rotate the models and get a feel for how the heads work in full 3d and get a feel for the forms of an anime face.

Well, remember, I didnt know what the fuck I was doing XD. I really used a sphere and tried to do it with that, It worked out alot better then all my other attempts but blindly putting edges everywhere and moving them can only last so long. This was the video I learned the sphere thing. It dosn't explain and its more of a timelaps, but it does show whats happening, im just at a loss on what it doing and how its doing it XD.
    Lamont wrote: »
    Some inspiration: http://www.3dcg-arts.net/

Follow some of the links to authors pages, they have tuts, but in Japanese. The modeling of the heads have not changed much over the years, just texture work.

thanks, the japanese is really hard to follow, but this might prove to be a nice reference.I see alot of my mistakes now, but still clueless on how Im suppost to do hair.
  • drdangerous00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drdangerous00 polycounter lvl 5
    hope this helps : )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFqopkUTO0Q&amp;feature=g-vrec&quot;]Human Head Modeling [HD] Slow Reproduction Version : ???? - YouTube[/ame]
  • Shiro Itami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Coincidentally, that is the very video that boosted me up, but not as quiet. It gave me a new techinique to work with, but still no "Know how", im just going off of guesses and things... actually, this video is alittle slower...