Home General Discussion

How to snag an internship

Hey guys, I'm currently trying to get more professional experience, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on landing an internship. I'd be willing to relocate anywhere, and would take an unpaid intern position as well just for the experience it'd get me. (My portfolio is at www.dannypierce3d.com. Crits welcome of course.) I'd also love any tips or stories about how you all landed your first positions. :)

Replies

• Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Don't be willing to work for free. No one should and it's a bad mentality to carry. Your work is plenty good enough to land a junior/intern position somewhere.

Have you sent emails to various studios or individual people/recruiters seeking employment?
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Your work is amazing, I don't see why you'd need an internship!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    what Mcejn said. don't work for free, your portfolio is decent, better than most. it shows good variety and exectution, with the exception of the bottom right image... that guy is letting you down.

if i had one piece of advice, and i realise it might not mean much coming from me... focus on either character or environment art, and bust your ass making as much of it as possible.

there's a reason the phrase "jack of all trades" ends with "master of none".
  • Tairii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I'm currently trying to get more professional experience, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on landing an internship. I'd be willing to relocate anywhere, and would take an unpaid intern position as well just for the experience it'd get me. (My portfolio is at www.dannypierce3d.com. Crits welcome of course.) I'd also love any tips or stories about how you all landed your first positions. :)

Top part of the dumpster looks awkward, but you have some really good stuff in your portfolio. :3

Second the above.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    With a portfolio like that it could only be a matter of time. :)

I'm only in high school, but still need internship hours to complete a program I'm in that specializes in art and technology. Kind of a pain considering pretty much everyone requires you to be at least be in college, but I've got a counselor to help me out.

Any particular part you need help with or just tips in general? I found this nifty map that might help you find studios in your area or in another preferred area.
    http://www.gamedevmap.com/
  • Gumballcrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've sent out a handful, but no real bites. I've contacted two different recruiters, but the only jobs they've tried to match me up with were positions out of my experience bracket. Thanks for the complement by the way!
  • Gumballcrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow I didn't expect to get so many responses! It's hard to gauge the quality of my work, or what kind of position I could land, as I really only personally know one other artist in the industry.

Boyso: Thanks man!

almighty: Yeah I definitely agree on the bust. I'm hoping to revisit it and make it worthy enough to be up there :) Thanks for the advice!

Tairii: Agreed. That was my first model with any normal map, and the lid didn't go over too smoothly.

FullSynch: I certainly hope so! I'm itching to start working professionally. I'd say specifically, starting up a dialog with a studio has been the most difficult thing. Most of the emails I've sent out haven't gotten any responses whatsoever. Thank you for the site though, I'm checking it out now.

Nerf: You've got a good point about the title change. And i'm currently trying to decide on some concept art I should base an environment off of. Also I'm glad I'm not a sad sack lol.
  • NickGW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    I wasn't aware of that internships had to be paid in California. That explains why I haven't seen that many. I know that the only studio in my immediate area hasn't had one for environment artists since last summer.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    agree. apply for a real position. streamline your folio, or make 2 versions. right now it says character / environment artist. choose either one. listing both just confuses people as to what you really want and indecisive people don't look good.

Nerf Bat Ninja said it - env art is the way to go for now. keep working on our char stuff if you want to switch later though.
  • Gumballcrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I changed the title to what Nerf Bat Ninja recommended, and I'll start focusing on just Environment pieces from this point on. Thanks again guys, the guidance is really appreciated. Anyone have any tips on what studios might be looking for entry/junior level artists? It always seems like all the job postings are for senior/lead artists.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    don't look for junior specifically. Remember: one studio's senior artists may be on par with another studio's juniors ;)
    Your main goal should be to break into the industry. Your first job is usually not the one you will stay with. For most people it's a jump base to hop on to something better.

I would just apply to pretty much anything except seniors. What's the worst that can happen? They're not going to blacklist you for the rest of your life. Don't restrict yourself for jobs explicitly advertised as "junior". I think there've been a couple of threads saying the same.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also, you never know a studio might be getting ready to hiring junior even though they just have a environment artist job posting. Just don't apply for anything too crazy like lead roles or senior artists jobs at big studios.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who says internships are free?

Most studios I know pay interns.
  • Gumballcrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just figured it'd help my chances to offer my work as an unpaid intern, but the consensus seems to be that isn't the way to go.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I just figured it'd help my chances to offer my work as an unpaid intern, but the consensus seems to be that isn't the way to go.

Offering to work for free shows you undervalue your own art. It's good stuff, be confident in it.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I can personally vouch for not taking a unpaied internship, I just ended one and I just came out feeling used. To top it off I don't think I'll get credit for anything I worked on and none of it can go in my portfolio.

The work you have is good, you just have to keep trying at studios, it's what I'm doing.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Focus your portfolio mate.

It's clear you are not a character artist but your environment work is quite solid. Don't put your character pieces against your superior environment pieces.

Forget about character art, environment is your bread and butter.

Many studios are looking for environment artists. Your work is solid enough to land you a junior positon.

Landing the first gig can be tricky, but not impossible and you most definitely have the talent and potential to be in this industry. Don't give up.
  • Gumballcrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Should I completely remove the character art I have then if I'm going the route of an environment artist? I know I should at least remove the head sculpt WIP. Also, if there are any pieces you guys think I should remove (aka they bring the rest of my work down) let me know.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I would leave the Rhino man and put it under something like "organic work" and the rest under "environment art". Env artists who can use ZBrush and produce organic shapes have an edge over those who cannot. Even though you have nothing like trees, rocks, etc. this will get people an idea that you could do it. actually even better: add some of those to the folio.
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    Move that sword up higher - it's a really strong piece. In my opinion should definitely be one of the 1st 5 images you see. It should definitely be above the Dumpster, and the 2D concept. While it's not "current gen" it shows you have painting skills. It's also more of a prop, which works if you are advertising yourself as an environment artist.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Scrap the human bust and go apply for a job ;P
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I would remove all character art including the 2d drawing and rhino. They are not strong and your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest piece.

Focus on your environment work.

I wouldn't start making generic props as mentioned before. Those are boring and don' stand out. It's just as important to have hero pieces for an environment artist. Whipping out generic props just to fill up your webpage doesn't grab attention or show that you are creative.

Look at the strongest environment portfolios on polycount and get inspired :)