Home Technical Talk

Render to Texture help

darkshadow
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
darkshadow polycounter lvl 18
I'm trying to get an older character model of mine into UT3 but ofcourse it doesn't conform to UT3's weird texture layout.
So instead of completely repositioning the texture by hand I read that this can easily be done by using max's render to texture feature.

Now can someone tell me step by step how this works (basically projecting your texture on a new UV layout), because I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong as it's not working..(I've already redone the UV's)
Any help would be greatly appreciated >_>.

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    what do you mean by ut'3 weird texture layout? there is nothing special about how it handles texture, just the texture and UV's from the mesh.
  • darkshadow
    Offline / Send Message
    darkshadow polycounter lvl 18
    UT3 has very specific texture layouts for character models:

"UV Layout

Unlike previous custom objects in UT3 with characters we are constrained to a set UV layout for the body and the head. This is because when unreal takes the various parts that you make have mixed and matched with other bits in the same family it needs to make one texture for each of the groups. So it slices up the texture provided along pre-set lines and reassembles it later.
    Because of this the UV's for your model parts have to conform to the layouts epic expect."

https://sites.google.com/site/ut40kmod/UT40k_mod/ut3-tutorials-1/ut3-custom-char-part-1

If you don't do this the model will wind up with black patches in-game.

So.....no thoughts on my actual render to texture issue then?
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Setup:
    You have Mesh 1 that is your old mesh, with your old diffuse texture and your old UVs.

You also have Mesh 2, which is your new mesh with your new UVs and no texture yet.

Process:
    Make sure your meshes are sitting in the same place (overlapping). Select Mesh 2. Press '0' to bring up RTT dialog. Click the Pick button and select Mesh 1. Scroll down and add a diffuse map RTT slot, and set it up to use the same texture size. Then hit render.

If you have other maps (e.g. a specular and a diffuse and a gloss) then render each of them to texture in a separate pass, just applying the texture to your mesh in the diffuse slot and then saving out using the RTT dialog to a separate output texture.

I don't think I've skipped anything. If you have trouble, type what you're doing and what step you're stuck on (or what shitty results you get! :) )

Edit: You can also do it where you have two separate UV sets on the one object and you avoid using the "pick" bit, but that only works if your two UV sets are on the same mesh. If you've done that, apply the diffuse texture to your mesh using the old UV set, and in the RTT dialog select the new UV set to bake using.