Home General Discussion

HL3 nuff said

Replies

• Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    "Dragon Age 3 and Half-Life 3 appearing on the Gamescom-compiled list of games at the show was "a mistake", the organisers have told Eurogamer.

Eurogamer asked three times why the names were listed, but no explanation was given."
    Update from your link

Sad times
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    No, wait...they could be wrong about being wrong...*sticks fingers in ears*
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Way to make us all feel bad. :P
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Don't worry, HL3 is coming out soon.... HL3: The Farmville Edition that is! MOHAHAHAhahahahh
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    You know, after years of getting hyped up and then tons of 'nope' I'm going to take what I call the "pregnant lady" approach to HL3. Much like you never, ever assume a woman is pregnant unless you literally see a baby coming out, unless I see Valve squeezing out specific information, welp, I am just going to stop getting hyped on any HL3 speculation.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    sure it's fun the be gabe, just drop in the 3 letters HL3, somewhere, and it sends ripples across the internet.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-14-gamescom-claims-half-life-3-and-dragon-age-3-will-be-at-show

Update: Dragon Age 3 and Half-Life 3 appearing on the Gamescom-compiled list of games at the show was "a mistake", the organisers have told Eurogamer.

So who knows.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i doubt HL3 will show...
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake.

Do you really think Valve would release news of HL3 like this?

Remember the ARP for Portal 2? It'll be a drawn out, mind blowing affair that'll get everyone foaming at their mouths.

Even says at the top of the PDF, in German:
    'Expected announcements gamescom 2012'
    Please take note of the sources: exhibitors, media, internet forums, blogs.
    no responsibility is taken for the correctness of this information

Stealth edit: Although, I'm prepared to eat my hat, shoes, and whatever else if it is legit, those sneaky bastards.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Valve have denied that they're showing any games at Gamescon. While I suppose they could be making that up it seems unlikely at this point.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Bring on L4D 3 please! :D

....Maybe 8 survivors vs 8 zombies multiplayer? O_o
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wont get excited until I see a presentation/reveal by Valve themselves.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Remember the ARP for Portal 2? It'll be a drawn out, mind blowing affair that'll get everyone foaming at their mouths.

Half-Life doesn't have an alternate reality game. Half-Life is an alternate reality game. You get to play when you trigger a resonance cascade.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    http://lambdageneration.com/posts/half-life-3-confirmed-to-be-revealed-at-gamescom-2012/

[UPDATE: I have made a second call to Gamescom. I was explicitly informed that Valve were the ones who askedthat HL3 be placed on the list; but that apparently, "just a few minutes ago", Valve requested that HL3 be removed from that list. As of writing, its entry still remains on that list.

Someone at gamescom is trolling :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Torch wrote: »
    Bring on L4D 3 please! :D

....Maybe 8 survivors vs 8 zombies multiplayer? O_o

i alrteady play like that, modded servers 8v8 l4d2
  • Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    Don't you guys know? It will be Ricochet 2 for sure :D
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    if HL3 does not have better graphics and gameplay than Crysis 3... it's better to don't appear, NEVAAAAR.

i want l4d 5!
  • konstruct
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Blaizer wrote: »
    if HL3 does not have better graphics and gameplay than Crysis 3... it's better to don't appear, NEVAAAAR.

i want l4d 5!

I'd accept HL3 as a HL2 mod right now!
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Hype up! Madcatz new keyboard ad
    screenshot20120815at435.png

Video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2DfKJuoz8"]Madcatz Cyborg S.T.R.I.K.E.7 Gaming Keyboard - YouTube[/ame]
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Meh. More rumors, hype, and speculation.

If somebody from Valve DID say to put HL3 on any sort of lists of games they're going to be showing, it was probably a mistake by some employee who thought they were supposed to give a list of current projects or something along those lines.

HL3 will come out when it comes out. If it doesn't, it's not the end of the world. If it does, that's just dandy.

EDIT: And that keyboard ad only proves that the guy in charge of putting together a few icons has a sense of humor.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    konstruct - that was hilarious :D
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    The few lines hinting at some new Source Engine Iteration called Source 2 seems to at least suggest that Valve are working on.. something. I'm pretty sure we won't see an announcement of anything from Valve regarding HL 3. I think they learned a lot from the development of HL 2 and it's episodes in that regard.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    OniLolz wrote: »
    Hype up! Madcatz new keyboard ad
    screenshot20120815at435.png

Video:
    Madcatz Cyborg S.T.R.I.K.E.7 Gaming Keyboard - YouTube

I raise you:

Switchblade gaming netbook:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph7KprtxTNI&feature=related"]Razer Switchblade - Gameplay Footage - YouTube[/ame]

Razer blade gaming laptop:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIoujnm2so"]Razer Blade Gaming Laptop - IGN Unboxing - YouTube[/ame]
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... neither of which show the hl3 icon onilolz is referring to?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Am I the only one NOT excited for a HL3 or HL2 Ep3?

I mean what new Kleiner-made novelty could they possibly make Gordon use? Turn into a goo to liquify himself through crevices ala Alex Mack? Bring back the long jump module but add stunt physics towards the end of the jump so Gordon can do some crazy shit like the nerdiest Batman possible?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    both of those sound awesome, what's yer problem leilei?
    ;)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    leilei wrote: »

D:

ibudEqstlCAPrz.gif
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I mean what new Kleiner-made novelty could they possibly make Gordon use? Turn into a goo to liquify himself through crevices ala Alex Mack? Bring back the long jump module but add stunt physics towards the end of the jump so Gordon can do some crazy shit like the nerdiest Batman possible?

chances of them utilizing portal technology excites me.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9

Probably.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erich, what`s that from originally?

Portal tech seems the obvious choice given both the confirmed Appeture presence and HL generally having some kind of portal/teleport mechanic as the root of their continuing problems. Personally I just want to spend a few more minutes with the super-gravity-gun:)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Nah, HL3 isn't really on my top 10 list, before HL2 it might have been, but its just turned a bit baah for me after all this time.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor

...I've never played any of the Half-Life games for a "novelty" weapon or item. Is that why people play them? The gravity gun was cool and all, but I never even considered getting anything new...

I just play them because they're well made, are good stories, and are fun to play. I don't care if I go through HL3 with nothing but a pistol and a shotgun it's still going to be awesome.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12

Gordon never did any of that nor was that the point, what was exciting was the world, the characters and the lore/fluff behind it all. There very few games out there that will have a black-man be a doctor without heavy accents, or how before Halo was a thing, showed Alien slavery and Governmental segregation, not to mention control of population through sex-drive hampering.

I mean hell, as far as characters go, G.F. isn't even a character, he's a vessel for the player at most, there is nothing that defines him, it's not like say Samus from the Metroid series where you have at least an idea of who she is (bounty hunter, keeping baby aliens, merc for the military, raised by inter-specie aliens, etc), all you know is every time he's in a position to speak, something happens to him (break his jaw as soon as the Combine get him), and that he is good in his field.

So if Gordon say suddenly got his brain 'unlocked' and got access to over the top Portal powers, and Alyx becomes a sorts of key to stop all this madness on Earth and you have to protect her, this wouldn't be totally out of place, considering the G-Man can be always called in as the Deus Ex Machina for the story and idea.

So yes, everything is possible, but the question is, what can Valve do all these years later that will make people want to buy their game in the series? We have come a long way since when Physics of a few barrels and a gravity gun made people go "WOW!"
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be surprised if they used it for HL3, but there's the F-Stop thing that was developed for Portal 2, but got shelved because there wasn't any portals in a Portal game.

Maybe some kind of kinetic storage weapon. Left click pulls kinetic energy out and fills the gun up, right click releases it.

Say you're facing a Combine assault, helicopters flying about, striders stomping on the resistance, troops pinning you down. Pull the energy out of the helicopter, forcing it to crash down in to the troops, resistance starts firing rpgs at the strider, you release the energy to give the rpgs more damage. Switch to gravity gun, grab a girder that's lying about and launch it at the strider yourself, back to kinetic storage and pump the rest of the stored energy in to the girder, driving it through the strider.

Or a head crab jumps at you, dodge it, accelerate it and watch it splat itself against the wall.

Or you're doing the see-saw puzzle but don't have anything heavy enough to launch yourself, build up a charge with some smaller items, drop something on the other side, accelerate it and off you go.

Might need some kind of slow time mechanic to allow for pulling off some of the trickier gravity gun/kinetic storage combinations. Maybe only slows when you switch between them while crouched or holding sprint, and it returns to normal as soon as you do anything besides aim.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Erich, what`s that from originally?
    )

Ha. I have no idea. I just thought it was funny.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    ErichWK wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's from some Bollywood movie. I don't remember the name of it though.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    ErichWK wrote: »

Its from a bollywood film called Singham

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4iDWXstrWY"]Bollywood action movie clip - YouTube[/ame]

also this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9SOFq8f1vw"]Singham slap - YouTube[/ame]
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Holy shit. That movie is hilarious. This thread had been successfully derailed :poly142:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO8FoJzrWyA"]singam fight videos Theater fight - YouTube[/ame]
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12

you're not alone, the episodic structure totally backfired and i straight up don't care anymore. they took too long, so i have lost interest in the half-life franchise as a whole. the hype doesn't build for years, it dies down.

i have no intentions of purchasing a new half life game when it comes out, but then again i've always thought all the half life games have been boring.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't buy Half-life 3 either if it came out; the Half-life series is a set of extremely solid games about clicking on dudes, but at the end of the day clicking on dudes is all that it offers (well, that and shoddy physics puzzles) and I've mostly left the clicking-on-dudes phase of my life in my teens.

So no, you're not the only one, but let's not ruin it for people who are excited for it :) .
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I couldn't care less if HL3 is out next week or in 10years. I know for a fact that it'll be worth the wait and it'll push new boundaries whenever it does come out. The HL series has never disappointed and I don't think it ever will. Valve are by far the best developers when it comes to FPS games imo. Also a lot of mods that arise from their games are awesome in their own right and i'm sure HL3 will continue that.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    The last episode of half life 2 ended with a cliffhanger that got people really excited and wanting more. From my experience, if you want something you can't have you'll end up wanting it even more and think it's much better than it actually is. I like the half life games but I've also learned to not wait around too long for stuff/people, it's simply not worth it. So I don't care if it comes now or later. Just make sure you won't release a game with today's graphics and gameplay in 10 years.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy Half-life 3 either if it came out; the Half-life series is a set of extremely solid games about clicking on dudes, but at the end of the day clicking on dudes is all that it offers (well, that and shoddy physics puzzles) and I've mostly left the clicking-on-dudes phase of my life in my teens.

So no, you're not the only one, but let's not ruin it for people who are excited for it :) .

In my opinion you are describing other FPS, not Half-Life. Half-Life is a huge adventure, well, 2 was anyhow. It's not a twitch shooter at all, it's an experience, that just happens to be in FPS. You 'click on dudes' in Skyrim too... I find those two games very similar really. The scope, atmosphere and story is incredible, and that is the focus.

Having said that, yeah, they would really have to blow my socks off with something super innovative to get me genuinely interested in HL3. Personally I don't want to see Portal in my Half Life.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Andreas wrote: »
    it's an experience, that just happens to be in FPS.
    ah
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Andreas wrote: »
    You 'click on dudes' in Skyrim too...

there is a joke to be made here

Anyway zweb I think hl2 is riddled with flaws but you aren't really being that fair too it. Maybe it's a better game than you remember?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    I can't really count on one hand any game I enjoyed even remotely as much as I enjoyed my first trip through Half Life 2 and it's episodes during my first play through(and I have played many many many games since then), there's just something about likeable character, an interesting world and a well paced narrative that sets it above other games for me.

Though I agree that the completely silence in regards to the sequel has actually made me almost falter in my want for it.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    So no, you're not the only one, .

rage+face.png
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Ugh, don't remind me about the cliffhanger ending, that was really shitty to say the least.

You get to fight strikers, shoot missiles, find new enemy types, and are about to embark on a new adventure, and bam, most wrecking moment follows next, with you being nothing more then a meatbag infront of psychic flying maggots, with only Dog coming in to save the day.

So many years have passed since then...