Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Modern Sniper Rifle Concept

LATEST
********************************************************************************

RifleWIP010_1.jpg

RifleWIP010.jpg

********************************************************************************
I've been doing a lot of vehicles recently and thought I'd try my hand at a weapon. I've had ideas of a sniper rifle bouncing in my head for awhile and since I don't have excellent concept painting skills I trimmed elements from sniper rifles I like and mashed them up. Here's my concept:

SniperRifleconceptColor.bmp

Looking at the concept I know there are a lot of flaws like the ejection port not lining up with the magazine, the barrel and frame are skewed as well as other parts because of different perspectives from each image. No matter though I still managed to get a decent block out with some details added. Here it is:

RifleWIP01.jpg

Right now I know the wires are very messy and I will clean them up, I just wanted to get a better visual of the rifle in 3D. Up to this point I'm happy about the look but I know I can push it further.

I do have a few questions for you all, assuming this goes into an FPS would a tri count of 9k be too much too little?

C&C are appreciated as well! Thanks :)

Replies

• darkend rage
    great hard body modeling
  • Hang10
    Thanks, I'm still unsure about the tri count. Right now I have it hovering around 10k tris. As for the bolts ill be sculpting those in.
  • Hang10
    So I've been working on the high poly(in grey), I wtill have some things to add before sculpting in some detail then baking. I brought a screenshot into PS and did some color tests, don't mind the pattern it's just something I was playing around with but the colors are what I've after more so.

I'm personnally leaning towards the green and I was thinking about painting the barrel as well rather then keeping black or grey.

Let me know what you guys think!

RifleWIP02.jpg
  • Hang10
    Got the Low poly completed. I reverted the bolt back to its usually position, I thought having it reveresed would be cool but it just bugged me after awhile. I also plan on making this gun modifiable, the muzzle, and the "Lens shade: on the scope as well as the bipod can be swapped out for other gear.

RifleWIP03.jpg
  • Hang10
    Here's an update to where I am. I have the rifle unwrapped, I probably will need to make changes. I've circled some problem areas I have and will be working on.

Let me know if I'm on the right track! Please?:shifty:

RifleWIP04.jpg

RifleWIP04_1.jpg
  • Hang10
    Update.

Made the grip and frame all one piece rather then 3 separate elements.

The view angle on these images have been altered :poly122:

RifleWIP05.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    It's a good start but a lot of the weapon is missing excitement, for example, that middle of the rifle near the trigger, there is nothing going on and it looks more along the lines of an extruded block. I know it's not, but it looks like it.
  • Hang10
    Thanks for the info, I always thought it looked a little barren bit could think of what to add there.
  • Hang10
    Been working on the rifle some more, changed the overall look. I altered the stock, bolt, top rails, front rails, Bi-pod, scope and scope mount.

RifleWIP06.jpg
  • Hang10
    The latest iteration of the sniper rifle, let me know what you think! :D

Front%20Shot.PNG
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Looks better, not sure what's with those 2 rectangular holes in the middle.I don't like them there and there's some bad geo around them.
  • Hang10
    It was just something i was trying out and wanted some feedback on, couldn't decide.
  • Hang10
    I've been on a hiatus from work for a while so here's where I'm at:

Rifle_WIP07.jpg

I've only done a few bakes, I'm using xNormals, and here's the result so far:

Normals.jpg

I was using Marmoset to test bakes, but they never looked right. Then I brought them into Max and rendered using Mental Ray and got the above now I'm not sure if the normal map is bad because it doesn't work in Marm as well as in Max or because I don't have it 'synced' if thats the right term :S

Either I know there are many problem areas like here:

Rifle_WIP07-1.jpg

Could use all the help you guys have, this is only my second normal mapped asset but my first wasn't so great so really this could be my first( if it's that bad :/ )
  • Hang10
    Thanks Amil.

I'm starting to think the reason my normals look bad in those places are because of the UVs. I should also have the shells split with Smoothing groups but I'll check that again soon.
  • Hang10
    Update on the rifle. I've been learning a lot about normal maps which sucked but feel better now that I understand them a bit more. here are some WIP shots. I finally found suitable colors I liked so working on this right now then I;ll begin my learning process all over again with apec and gloss maps.

Comments and critiques are welcome/requested :P

Rifle_WIP08_1.jpg

Rifle_WIP08_2.jpg
  • Hang10
    Figured I'd put an update on my textures. I think it's coming along well :/
    ... but my eyes are gettin tired ><

Rifle_WIP08_3.jpg
  • Hang10
    Quick update on texturing. Still lots of work to do. Trying to learn on how to work the specular and playing with the diffuse a lot.

Rifle_WIP09.jpg
  • DaRkL3AD3R
    Looking great man keep it up.

My own opinion though, and this may not go along with the design of your weapon, but if you change that olive green receiver and grip to a dark wood with nice glossy polish, I think it'd look perfect :D To compliment that even more and make it nice and even, the scope should be a high gloss metallic black.

/drools that rifle would look beautiful like that.

Excellent work otherwise!
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like an intriquing design..I would say .308 by the mag size. The picatinny rail doesnt look correct though and I would have suggested trying to duplicate a military scope..they are very distinct.

I'm also not a big fan of that piece under the foreguard..looks like a stick on piece.
  • Hang10
    Thanks DaRkL3AD3R and katana. I can see how the rails look off. Honestly I can't explain why I went like that. When I was modeling them I kinda just went with a gut feelin rather then consult reference material. as for the handle underneath I was trying to go for a throw back to the Cheytac without copying it. I just liked the idea of having a handle underneath :S
  • Hang10
    Here's an update on the textures. I've been working a lot on the metal scratches. The magazine still needs a lot more love. I'm also still working on localizing the wear on the polymer parts of the rifle. In the screenshots at the top I'm using the 3Point shader, still trying to learn how to use it cause it looks a little over exposed. I've been working mainly in Marmoset just as a personal preference.

*EDIT; Current;y there is only a Diffuse and Normal map active, no spec yet.

RifleWIP010_1.jpg

RifleWIP010.jpg
  • Hang10
    I'm calling this one done. I'm very happy how it turned out. I learnt so much working on this project and looking back at my progrssion through each project I've been getting better and better and with the positive responses I've gotten here I'm confident in my next plans.

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg
  • Hang10
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    That metal looks like concrete. :S

Especially the cracks.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Those textures are wayyy over the top and full of high detail noise.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't understand why you called this done. It's so far from it.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Spend just a couple more days on the texture and it'll make for a nice portfolio piece man..
  • Hang10
    I put it on hold since I lost my psd files when I was texturing the stock piece. It would be just as easy as reducing the opacity but because I lost it I ended up overlaying the texture I had and never looked back on it. I'll definitely go back soon because of the comments.

Thanks for the support :)
  • dpadam450
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    That would be a bad portfolio piece due to the texture. I would make sure to work on that if you are using it for a professional portfolio. Look at the 2d reference you posted. Metal is almost all solid with bits of scratches. As others said, you basically have a concrete gun.

The specular power is way too high, it looks like you took 5 layers of clear coat polish on the gun. Bring the specular texture down darker and bring the specular power/exponent down.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Well personally I think the design is ugly. But besides that, that PSD you lost is a good thing, just start over.
  • Hang10
    Maybe I'll make a stone soldier to complement the rock hard look. It was my first weapon and a lot more first on this model. I'll agree that the textures and other maps are poor but I don't see whats wrong with the overall function of the rifle. yes it looks like it would be much too heavy to actually carry in the field but all the core design aspects of a colt rifle are there. It's a fantasy gun not a replica.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Hang10 wrote: »
    Maybe I'll make a stone soldier to complement the rock hard look. It was my first weapon and a lot more first on this model. I'll agree that the textures and other maps are poor but I don't see whats wrong with the overall function of the rifle. yes it looks like it would be much too heavy to actually carry in the field but all the core design aspects of a colt rifle are there. It's a fantasy gun not a replica.
    Don't bother defending yourself; AlexCat's comment was just crotchety and unhelpful. As with all cases, design is subjective and I personally think the design is fine.

Unfortunately the texture does need work. However one thing does concern me. If you want to make a stone character to compliment the texture because you don't know how to make a metal-looking gun then you haven't really learned anything at the end of the day. My advice would be to follow some of the tutorials that have been floating around. Racer445's metal tutorial has some fantastic principals but his video on the bottom is one of the most helpful and entertaining tutorials I've seen. Good luck