Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Link's Shack - Zelda (UDK) [WIP]

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
This was a private project I did recently over 3 days.

The idea behind it was to create my vision of an old shack where the character Link from the Zelda games, would be metaphorically living out his last remaining days. His old bed sits in the corner surrounded by his tokens from his quests over the years; swords, shields, rupees, the tri-force, etc. I wanted to make it feel dusty, over-grown and old. I also wanted to make it seem like a realistic environment, where this “real” character has taken all these object back home from the “game world”.

Zelda26th_1.jpg

Zelda26th_2.jpg

Zelda26th_3.jpg

LINKSRETIREMENTSHACK1-copy-1024x501.jpg

LINKSRETIREMENTSHACK2-copy-1024x501.jpg

LINKSRETIREMENTSHACK3-copy-1024x501.jpg

Looking for any critique on it. I haven't completed a private project for ages so I'm no doubt out of practice. Thanks!

Replies

• ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Wondering why you used an antelope's skull.. I don't think I've ever seen an animal look like that in a Zelda game. I could be wrong. Nothing really screams Zelda to me. Yea, There is the Hylian Shield and I think the metal boots, but it just seems like a generic fantasy shack. The rupees are kind of jarring how bright they are, same with the bottles. and the whole room lacks color and strong lighting. Zelda is known for it's nice saturation and bold palettes. (I don't think Link would just leave the Triforce hanging out like that for the taking. ;P )
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ErichWK

I'm not too sure why the skull, it was one of the assets I found on a Zelda fan site so decided to use it, I thought it looked cool hanging on the wall. I totally get your point about it seeming like a generic fantasy hut, but I was hoping the shield, swords and rupees etc would give it away.

I found the lighting really hard.. because I wanted it to be night time, the moon-light was illuminating very little. I made some lamps modelled off some from within a shop in Ocarina of Time:

the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3ds-shop-details-screenshot.jpg

I'm thinking of overhauling the lighting and removing the glow from the rupees so that it has an older feel.. And also change it to day light and make the atmosphere feel more dusty.
  • rosko82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow ... is really well done, there is a magical atmosphere and makes really good
  • stxtch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stxtch polycounter lvl 5
    Try and determine the focal point of the scene; I think the composition could use some work. Also the fireplace has a lower level of detail than the rest of the props and doesn't really feel like it fits. Keep going!
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this one, but I feel like its kind of haphazardly arranged. There are so many things that can be focused on but they all seem to get lost in the clutter of the scene. I think the lighting may be whats throwing me, maybe try lowering the light beams coming through the window and make the fireplace a more prominent source of light. The original zelda scene has a bit more contrast in it.

Also in your first image you have a blue bottle sitting next to a duplicated version of itself that is kind of standing out.

Other than that I really like all the props and the feel of this scene, looking forward to updates.
  • Suidae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suidae polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know how useful this will be, but I felt like playing around and painting today.

One of the major things that stands out is that you have a lot of lights competing with each other. I would keep the lanterns, since the reference you have shows a lot of them around, but not have them all lit up at the same time. That way, the primary source of lighting (the fireplace) can stand out and affect the scene more.

Also, as already mentioned, there's a lot of objects everywhere. Maybe arrange them in areas that makes sense and help the composition, but still give the impression that they're not being used anymore. I just messed with some of them in the paintover.

Hope this helps, good luck.

paintover.jpg
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Wondering why you used an antelope's skull.. I don't think I've ever seen an animal look like that in a Zelda game. I could be wrong. Nothing really screams Zelda to me. Yea, There is the Hylian Shield and I think the metal boots, but it just seems like a generic fantasy shack. The rupees are kind of jarring how bright they are, same with the bottles. and the whole room lacks color and strong lighting. Zelda is known for it's nice saturation and bold palettes. (I don't think Link would just leave the Triforce hanging out like that for the taking. ;P )

While it isn't super Zelda-y I think I remember similar skulls showing up on the walls inside of Gerudo Fortress. They were normally above the opening of the prison rooms if I remember correctly.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    its a cluster fck. Most of your items have the same amount of distance between them, alot of things have similar siloets (sharp and pointy) and are sized similarly, I can see you dont have a grasp on color theory, and the composition is bad. It is unpleasant to look at.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your input, I'm currently working on the scene using your advice.

@Suidae Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! You've brought to my attention a lot of improvements I can make
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been editing the scene somewhat and have overhauled the lighting.

NewZelda_Off1-1024x500.jpg

Opinions?

Also have been experimenting with the one lamp.

NewZelda_On1-1024x500.jpg

And without the overpowering rupees.

NewZelda_NoRupees-1024x500.jpg

Also, after playing around with some PP effects...

NewZelda_Darker-1024x500.jpg

Opinions please :)
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Nice improvements so far. The bottles are looking over saturated to me. They're the first thing my eye goes to on the right side of the image.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    It's amazing how some lighting and composition changes can transform a project from good to great. Keep up the awesome work!
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    Revisions are a hell of alot stronger.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RogelioD @nufftalon Thank you both :)

@Sebeuroc I agree with you, and have now changed them.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final images! cc wanted and very welcome!

ZeldaFinal_1-1024x500.jpg

ZeldaFinal_2-1024x500.jpg

ZeldaFinal_3-1024x500.jpg

Zelda_wireframe-1024x500.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    feels sorta bland. you're using a bunch of props to dress a boring shell.

Put some strutural detail into the shack/cabin instead of creating a trophy room. you have all this flat surfaces with a small prop placed in the middle. the tiled wood texture doesn't help.

Change up the textures used for the floor/walls/ceiling. I probably wouldn't put a tile floor in there, but whatev. Add a dropped down partial ceiling or some braces across to hang stuff on. mabye a bunk bed or second floor?

Alot of the stuff you have just looks like tiled textures too. Add some detail in there. build a custom fireplace with the chimney going up the wall some. add some polys to your stuff too. the door frame looks chunky and low poly, plus i can't tell if its made of wood or not.

you also have a lot of black in your textures. everything is too dark.
    This might be a bit more stylized for what you're going for, but notice on Damians cellar how everything is softer and you don't see any dark blacks or super bright whites.

Damian Lazarski Cellar

It reads clean and interesting with minimal textures.

more reference

ref

ref

wall props, but with some more interesting strutural detail, its actually interesting.

ref
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your input oobersli, I know what you mean about the 'boring shell', because that's exactly what it is :) haha. It's just a 7 sided piece of BSP. I studied your references and researched some of my own and I started a separate save of my scene to fiddle about with somethings. In the process of creating about 3 or 4 different wooden panels to assemble the house with (instead of the BSP), though I hope it will not make it look too hard to read (ie. the things on the walls).

Changed the door because I wasn't happy with it to allow some more of the outside environment to be shown...

zeldaopinions.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd like to see more done with the hue, its too monochrome right now. http://i.imgur.com/oS7Bo.jpg I added blue to the shadows.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    it's still bland and sad looking - why is this legendary hero living in such squalor? I showed it to a friend and he said he'd expect old Link's house to look more like Bag End from LotR.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's still bland and sad looking - why is this legendary hero living in such squalor? I showed it to a friend and he said he'd expect old Link's house to look more like Bag End from LotR.

Haha fair point :) That's just how I wanted the scene to look... Also, I enjoy doing scenes which are messy/destroyed/old as opposed to neat clean ones.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress. Not only changed the look of the shack (no BSP any more apart from the floor), but tried to make it look colder

Zelda_DestroyedShack1Copy1-1024x500.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work!
    I liked the colorful gems I would have suggested to add some of the health sprites in glass bottles. Guess that wouldn't fit into the theme your going with for this.

Not to change your direction totally or anything but I agree with the ("Bag End from LotR.") comment a more full of life scene would be more appropriate for our hero. :)

Either way this is still a great piece to have and you've put a nice amount of work/effort into It.

:) will be checking out the progress, thanks for your comment on my thread.
  • Sigma7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh MAN, THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I really like the layout you got going. Good Job XD
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I think this is your strongest piece of the lot. Your most recent, while cool, I worry is too visually busy. My eye can't really focus on any one point and instead is bouncing all over the image from the wildly varied levels of value, hue and saturation. I think if you're trying to make a single standalone image, the first is your best bet. If you're going to make this interactive, or even a fly through, you're on the right track with the second image.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your comments :) Been working more tonight, added Navi!

Zelda26th_1.jpg

Zelda26th_2.jpg

Zelda26th_3.jpg
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Seems a little horrible that the Hero of Time would leave his best friend in a jar. Especially considering she left at the end of OoT. :P Ha ha. I would just get rid of the label. But that's just me. Great work!
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems a little horrible that the Hero of Time would leave his best friend in a jar. Especially considering she left at the end of OoT. :P Ha ha. I would just get rid of the label. But that's just me. Great work!

Haha I see your point.. Though it's not supposed to be accurate to the story in every way. Thanks man!