Home General Discussion

Maya DX 11 Preview

Check out the latest preview of Maya with DX 11.
The viewport is using a DX11 shader with crackfree displacement.

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/marcel/maya-directx-11-technology-preview

Replies

• divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    i want it! for max :X
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    hopefully they will accept gloss and specular the way marmoset handles it. cubemap generated.
  • MikeF
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    ah, looks fantastic, bout time maya got some love
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I like the 1.5 and 4.4 FPS shown in the bottom right hand corner. Still getting run time DX11 features in the maya viewport is really cool.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hopefully what this means is that HLSL shaders in Maya are no longer crap :D
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    HAHA nice Autocon! Didn't notice that. Be great if they improved the whole shader set up. SIGGRAPH is in 4 days. I'm sure they'll be showing something off there.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Autocon wrote: »
    I like the 1.5 and 4.4 FPS shown in the bottom right hand corner. Still getting run time DX11 features in the maya viewport is really cool.

Play with the camera in Maya, sometimes the FPS just goes really low because it's not calculating it right.
  • imijatov
    Would be highly useful to have this level of quality realtime inside the Maya viewport. Hope that the Maya team follows through and implements it into a future build.
  • oglu
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    If i can get this result in the viewport I'm gonna have a freaking field day. Generally I just have to bring my assets into UDK or use the xoliul shader in max but I hardly use max these days so this would be a very welcome update.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    little video...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMuQYgnKm4"]Maya 2013 Extension Release: Direct X 11 Next gen viewport Shader - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Man, I gotta make the switch to Maya ASAP.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    What I really think it's also impressive, is this:
    http://player.vimeo.com/video/38784499
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    wow that is kick ass looking bugo
  • JoeCyriac
    The Enlighten plugin video is amazing.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Don't you guys wish every software, engine had that by default? ;)
  • FelixSchl
    Gotta agree with langdon's comment cited below.
    do people really care this much about the look of the viewport? Isnt just a waste of resources since there are more important things to address?

Seriously...did you guys check Maxon/SideFX/Luxology/Pixologic updates/development? This is embarassing.
    You call this news? Updates? for a 6k software and all the money autodesk charges us with subscription?

And people go "wow, cool fantastic, amazing" with this?
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Maya's viewport has always been shoddy for realtime (texture etc) work in my opinion. This update to me is invaluable. Not having to jump through hoops to get feedback while working? Yes please.

Even better that I'll be able to take nice screenshots for the portfolio from the viewport.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    About time Game artists using Maya get some lurve, wooooo :O
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know, I was always pleased with Maya viewport. Maya always had the high resolution one that would show the right normal map results, I could setup lots of lights and actually render it out in 16xAA with the hardware. The real problem is that Autodesk is now trying to implement new things and Maya 2012 and 2013 are getting many messed up results because of that. So hopefully they fix it soon.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    FelixSchl wrote: »
    Gotta agree with langdon's comment cited below.

It's 3K, not 6K, secondly, running shaders in a DCCP viewport isn't some small thing, you can save alot of money and time in both the long and short run, not to mention you won't get artists asking "Why does my charter not look SSS like in UDK when it did with Mental-Ray SSS shader, waa!"

You also have to remember this is in the 'extension'' version of Maya, meaning a Pack update, not a new version.

Lastly, what qualifies as an 'important' issue to address? The modeling tools which the community wants to remain as 3rd party plugins? Or how they have to create their own tools and cannot copy others math or else they'll have to pay royalties?

The list goes on, but I would say any fix is a good fix.
  • FelixSchl
    Ace Angle, what about making the software stable? That would be a great "feature".

I started with 2010, which was fairly stable but ever-since their switch to the new ui, the program is volatile as hell in terms of stability. I find the constant crashing and loss of time and work rather frustrating. One would think that they would at least by nice enough to put it in a default hotkey to save a new version and also to save a copy.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    We should all get back to maya 4 and 7, most stable versions I can remember. I miss AliasWaveFront
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Everybody talks about stability and the crashes they get - I have to say I've hardly experienced any issues with Maya... most of the crashes I had were with Max at my old workplace.
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    @Torch: Doesnt speak for you, Max and Maya only crash when the user is super awesomely creative and stuff (and obviously forgets to save)
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    @ arrangemonk - singed :D

looks very nice - have to try it out some day
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    @Torch: Doesnt speak for you, Max and Maya only crash when the user is super awesomely creative and stuff (and obviously forgets to save)

Oooo burn :poly117:
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Yeah, Torch, I haven't noticed it either.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    as arrangemonk said: it depends on how the user is doing stuff in each application, new users tend to do things that will make it crash almost instantly, you will know where u want to save after a while and this will help on your workflow later on. At least in Maya is that way. I know where it can crash, and I just don't go that path OR I save before doing so.
  • Tairii
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9
    Ace Angle, what about making the software stable? That would be a great "feature".

I started with 2010, which was fairly stable but ever-since their switch to the new ui, the program is volatile as hell in terms of stability. I find the constant crashing and loss of time and work rather frustrating. One would think that they would at least by nice enough to put it in a default hotkey to save a new version and also to save a copy.

I am a novice with Maya, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I use an auto save feature with Maya and I have it set to every 20 minutes and each save has it's own name and number. It's a very useful feature that I have on all the time.
  • FelixSchl
    @Tairii You mean incremental saves. I am coming from Blender and over there we can only smile at such a feature (although they do have it). If Blender should crash, it will always manage to make a backup copy just from before the crash. But that is not all, here comes the kicker: On startup, it actually offers me to load it, rather than go digging for it. I never lost data with Blender.

Here comes another kicker, when "saving as..." with Blender, there is a little '+' sign that will increment the filename for me. So I can do an incremental save of my scene in less than 3 seconds.

What is cool about Maya, is the extensibility and flexibility. If you wanted any of the features I mentioned above, you can just write some MEL, pyMEL or plugin for all it matters. I just wish they put more effort into making the software stable. I mean, how often does Photoshop crash? And that is one big app, too.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Well, Maya also has a backup function while crashing. It tries to save your files, but it puts on the temp folder of your system. You can grab the .ma file there. 20% of the times tho you wont be that lucky.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @Tairii You mean incremental saves. I am coming from Blender and over there we can only smile at such a feature (although they do have it). If Blender should crash, it will always manage to make a backup copy just from before the crash. But that is not all, here comes the kicker: On startup, it actually offers me to load it, rather than go digging for it. I never lost data with Blender.

Here comes another kicker, when "saving as..." with Blender, there is a little '+' sign that will increment the filename for me. So I can do an incremental save of my scene in less than 3 seconds.

What is cool about Maya, is the extensibility and flexibility. If you wanted any of the features I mentioned above, you can just write some MEL, pyMEL or plugin for all it matters. I just wish they put more effort into making the software stable. I mean, how often does Photoshop crash? And that is one big app, too.

max has the + to increment the save in the save as dialog, and in i was able to easily make a new command on control+alt+s, that saves with a incremented version. so not too much a of kicker.

my main app is maya, and i tend to get very few crashes, actully it seems the most unstable app in my workflow is photoshop.
  • Tairii
    Offline / Send Message
    Tairii polycounter lvl 9

Yes, thank you! I love it so much. It's weird, I never have Maya crash on me like I do Max. Then again, I don't have those, "I wonder what will happen if I added 90,000 more particles"-moments in Maya
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    little trick to launch maya in DX11...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMCYW3AhL6Y"]dx11 trick - YouTube[/ame]