Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Lost Cabin

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
Found this picture on DeviantArt a while back, thought it would make a really cool 3d envrionment. Thought it would be pretty simple, but I'm having a lot of trouble making this decent. Posting just the Cabin for now. More to come as the cabin improves.

original image:
Tea_House_by_hibbary.jpg

My Cabin:
highresscreenshot204801.png.bmp
highresscreenshot2048.png
highresscreenshot00002p.pngp
Textures:
brickdiffuse.jpg
roofdiffuse.jpg
detailsdiffuse.jpg
I realize the last one has a lot of wasted UV space, but right now I can't think of a better way to utilize the space.

Any and all feedback is always greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
    turn the windows 90degrees on the UV map?
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cube Republic: Thanks.... had not thought of that for some reason... will do.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You should be modeling/sculpting the detail onto your model instead of using photosourced textures and ripping normals from them.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bardler: don't know how to sculpt tileable textures yet, so I'm just going with what I know for now. If you know where I can learn to sculpt, and sculpt tiling textures, I'm more than happy to learn
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its worth taking the time to learn how to sculpt/ Learn the techniques on smaller things until you have a good workflow, then go for a more complicated scene. There are plenty of sculpting tutorials available just by searching youtube and google, you can teach yourself quite easily.

I would highly suggest learning the techniques before taking on a larger environment. I'll post some links tonight if you want, but i have to go to school now
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkleopard: Yeah, I'm following the 3dmotive tutorial on creating tiling textures in Zbrush now. Should have some new textures in the next few days.

Can you guys see the images? they were there when I left, but Im only getting broken links at the moment
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update: new brick (well brick-like I hope) texture. Took you guys' advice and learned how to make custom repeating textures.

_1_by_denmarksart-d59id57.jpg
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any suggestions on how I should approach textures/details for the door and windows? Should I Try to model detail in Zbrush, or should is it simple enough to create the textures in photoshop?
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    Actually I think that your wall texture doesn't fit very well the purpose, I like it but to me il looks more suitable for a floor.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Hey that texture is much better, i think the colour is a bit off in my opinion i would have it lighter more yellowish then brown. I also think you should scale the bricks up a bit more, not sure how closely you want to follow the concept but the house is only 7 bricks high in theres, so the scale may help.
    I would also do a decal on the corners of the house or put some more geometry there and put in some cracks/dents etc
  • Nellac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using this for a photo scene or a actual game model? If your going for high poly beauty, you can sculpt it and use high amounts of Tessellation to give it that pop that really makes it look 3D. If your using this as a game asset, I would give it a deep normal map with a height map in the alpha channel, and plug it into a bump offset. To give that illusion the bricks are higher then the cracks. :)
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kuki Yeah I know I'm gonna have to redo it, I realized when I posted that I followed the floor tutorial a little too closely. Luckily the process wasn't too difficult so it shouldn't take too long.

@Sharvo I'll def take care of that when I redo the texture.

@Nellac it's intended to be an in engine scene, using a next-gen game asset workflow. I tried give that new 'brick' texture that kind of feel. You can see the in game shader I used in this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103117
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you are off to a start.

You might benefit from trimming a few things, like the building edges and the roof lines. They help disguise a lot of the distracting issues with textures not tiling around edges properly.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mark Dygerr What do you mean by trimming exactly?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mark Dygerr What do you mean by trimming exactly?
    Like this:
    shingledroof.jpg
    See how there is a row of shingles that sit on top of the sharp transition points on the roof?

Roofers have the same problem you do, because of the angles nothing lines up, looks pretty or is easily functional, so they cover it up the seams.

Doing this on your model helps disguise that the textures don't line up, while giving the roof some added detail.

Right now you're building is extremely low poly and you can spend a few more polys to boost some detail and cover up some errors. Even if you don't add trim, I think you should round out the corners quite a bit because none of those surfaces would ever be that blunt and for the last 4-5 years almost everyone has been adding a few more polys to make things a little more rounded.

You also have to project into the future a bit because the games you will be hired for are being worked on right now but won't come out for 1-2-3 years. If you make a last gen portfolio and the company is working on xbox 720 titles and PS4 then they are going t pass you right over.

Mind you I think the roof in your original concept was thatched, which brings into question a new set of problems.

By trim on the edges of the building I mean something similar to this, where you use a few bricks that extend from the edge of the building to give it interesting detail and cover up sharp corners and non-aligning textures.
    3677907350_1a9b03b32c_n.jpg

This might also be helpful http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the awesome help and refs, really appreciate it. I'm in the process of applying those standards to my model, gonna post an update later today. Not gonna do the thatched roof (at least not yet). I'll still add some detail to make it better, more game ready.
  • Onyx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realize this is an older thread, however it was just brought to my attention.

The image that you're using for your model is a copyrighted image that belongs to me. I see that you are saying you plan to use your model in a game, however this image is already being used in a browser-based game - namely khimeros.com - this is the image of the Tea Shoppe at the Center of the Universe. I certainly do not want it being used by anyone else. It would be rather awkward to have my tea shoppe randomly show up on some other site, no?

I'm asking that you change this in some way that it no longer resembles my image so closely - change the shape of the sign over the door, change the shape of the roof slightly, don't use it in conjunction with a wishing well, etc. Also, while I don't mind if images I own are used for inspiration, please do provide links to the artist's DA (hibbary.deviantart.com) and the site the image originated from (www.khimeros.com) for courtesy's sake. Thank you.