Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tacit Concept Model [Character WIP]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
Making one of Tacit's wacky creations into a game model. Going to be hard to figure out all of the details but them shapes are too good to resist!

The concept,
tacitconcept.png

Here's what i have so far for reference to breakdown the shapes
tacitreference.JPG

And my blockout thus far, i'm base meshing everything in maya and then i'l start zbrushing pieces and hardsurface modelling in maya once i have everything in place.
tacicspinnyblockout.gif

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just blocking cloth in a bit more, everything is symetrical still for now.
    tacitmathwip1.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Awesome model choice. And the model is looking great so far. Will be watching this.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    yeah it's certainly not anything coherent enough to be able to follow easily. by all means man modify and appropriate whatever you need. make him your own. really looking forward to seeing it develop
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went in a slightly different direction with the head from what the sketch shows. But i think it'l look pretty cool once its surrounded by pipes and panels upto his nose.
    Here's what i have so far, still need to go over and do a high freq pass
    tacithead.jpg
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really good so far. Ive always liked your style, so its really cool to see how the magic is done. Cant wait to see more. :)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys!

Here's a little more done on this guy just starting to layer up the torso
    tacitmathwip2.jpg

tacitmathwip3.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lil more work on this today

tacitmathwip4.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    f-ing cool. Id say tactic`s concept is certainly up for interpretation,

Subjectively, I think some of the cool-ness is getting lost in the face. In the concept the facial forms are very skull like- The large fatman/gasmask take isnt bad- but I think the deviation is a little less cool. Again- subjective critique- take it or leave it :P
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ermagerhd iurve irt.
    I think the face works really well with the oversized form of the body.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    this is gonna be friggin awesome. I shall follow closely...
    I personally realy like the face. I feel like what's getting lost is the penguin-like silhouette between the head and the shoulders - which is probably my favorite part of the of the overall concept.

poGif01.gif
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!

@Konstruct yea man, i the way i see the concept is its more of a robot head than a human head or atleast a full mask, but for whatever reason i decided add in an organic area.

@ReverendK
    I think the silhouette will fix itself up once i add in more stuff, the large curve in the shoulders will be added once the backpack backing, straps and backpack itself are added and the front silhouette is just a matter of posing the arms to match the concept.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of a cloth update still messy as hell.
    tacitmathwip5.jpg

also did his first weapon today to take a break from the main character 478 tri's 1k tex
    FPSweapon2.jpg
    FPSweapon1.jpg
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    this is coming along great man ! i'd bring you some crits but since you're really pushing your own flavour into it i'd feel out of line. looking forward to more
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking sweet! :D Keep it up, I'll make sure to follow!
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin' good. That weapon came out sick!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,
    @tacit, i'd love some crits from you if you feel like certain things are straying too far from the concept.

Going to redo his boot design soon and start working on the gloves but for now heres a scifi bicycle pump... scary. i suppose its some kind of wire grabber/cutter (im going to assume this guy is some kind of technician, would be a cool theme to roll with i think).

tacitweapon2.jpg
    tactweap2anims.gif
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i'm thinkin i'm gonna dig these colors in the end if you keep goin for the urbany spraypaint stuff. rock on, friend.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Damn, this is looking sweet.

The sword could use some tweaking to keep with the concept. On one side of the grip you'll see that the metal section under the grip extends over to the middle section before the blade.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    YES! I was waiting for someone to snag one of these. Very cool progress so, looking forward to seeing it completely fleshed out.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    theres something vaguely erotic about that .gif
    Your really making all the right moves with this choice of concept. TBH Im suprised I havent seen a Tacit sketch done before. maybe cause some of the stuff he does is 3D already, but im glad your putting your own twist on it.

I think you should put some more guesture into his arms, and deffinately thicken them up a bit. give him more of a 'slouched' look
    anyways keep it up dwog
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers everyone!
    Added some more shape into the arms as suggested - thanks. Also added some more changes/extra stuff... some stuff is still really rough so here's a really vague render :P

tacitmathwip6.jpg
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    This is SO badass, on so many different levels, to see one of Tactic's insanely unique drawings come to life! And you definitely have more than given it justice. The latest render is so sick by itself. Great work from both of you :D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Add3r :))

I'm going to be doing 3 versions of this guy, as if he was an upgradable character in a game. Tier 1 being his basic clothing + bullet jacket. Tier 2 is a little extra armor + one weapon and Tier 3 is all the breathing gear, backpack and both weapons.

Here's how the highpoly for tier 1 is looking at the moment. I completely replaced the crappy old boots with fresh ones today and just added the obligatory duct tape.

tacitmathwip7.jpg

Fresh kicks
    tacitboot.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Giles, you may want to hold up really quick as you seem to be taking a step backwards. Your render Here is cool, it has the beginnings of good cloth, everything stands out and is pleasing to look at. But then your latest version has all of this noisy detail added everywhere and then that duct tape that is even more noisy. Not pleasing to look at anymore:(

I think you need to stop and try to look at this from a 2d point of view. Any time someone looks at your models, they are looking at a 2d image. Some of the things that make Tacit's stuff cool is the simpler shapes and the sniped detail.

I made a paintover:
    giles_crit.jpg

If you look back at tacits' concept, the boot has these big chunky shapes and some bits of detail that are really just brush stroke residue, but adds some teeth to it. Your boot has basically one large shape, and 2 tons of detail poured over top. Even the med sized detail you have is hard to pick out from the larger shape, made harder so by the similar detail that is spread over both surfaces, its more like one big shape and lots of nicks. (I could say the same for the face, it's one large chunk with tons of detail, not med skin folds, etc.)

Something I think a lot of artists miss early on is the fact that we are designers, so we should study design!
    A good website to keep going back to is here: http://autodestruct.com/thumbwar.htm

In paticular for you:
    detail.jpg

You can add a ton of detail and it still look cool, like this:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101548

Looks awesome, mainly because everything still reads.
    giles_crit02.jpg

On the back, there is a large leather vest taking up most of the space. (large)
    Then ther are these strips of leather over some kind of mesh making up that vest (med)
    and in each material, there is some distinct type of detail that seperates the two, (small)

If his model didn't have such strong medium shapes, it would probably be a huge chunk of noise, but as it stands, it's balanced and looks kick ass.

Your jacket and vest suffer from this. They are large shapes with these small details scattered on them.

Good luck!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey shrew, great crit man and thanks for the indepth write up.

I went over the clothing and hard polished/smoothed out a lot of the noisy details. He just has a few patches here and there on the clothing now. I think it looks a lot cleaner. I think the duct tape is a nice symmetry breaker though - so thats staying i think. Here's a matcap grey w/o paint
    tacitmathwip8.jpg

For the shoe. I went over and removed probably 60-70% of the damage but i didn't localise it as much as the clothing. I think boots in a post apocalyptic world are the most likely object to get "shotgun detail" on them, the details that are left have been made more subtle though, so hopefully it looks damaged now but isn't an eyesore. As for the shapes reading, i think the contrast in tones of the polypaint really helps to set the shapes apart from each other, i know the silhouette isn't anywhere near as broad as the concept, but i tried going in that direction and it didn't work out as i couldn't think of a way to construct them without having thousands of straps everywhere.

tacitmathwip9.jpg

I think looking at the character as a whole, it has a lot of places for the eye to rest, the shorts and shirt especially are really large shapes without much cluttering them now that the details on them have been pulled back a little.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i got "tier 1" baked down and slapped down some basic values and spec. Starting off textures tommorrow and after that progress on this guy might slow down a bit due to being busy once again :(

tacitbakes.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long overdue texture update on this. Got some basic stuff going on need to go over and add in some more spec and diffuse work here and there. Going to get his armor baked down next time i have some time to work on this (hopefully this weekend).
    tacittexturewip2.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after a long break from this guy... i finally did his second upgrade pack and re-rendered the first upgrade one (now with buckles on the sides)

Tacitmath_T1.jpg

Tacitmath_T2.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    damn man, his face is more dimply than my balls!