Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Green Monster - Character W.I.P

Hi guys, would love some feedback on a little project I'm working on. I drew this guy the other day, with the intention to rig and animate him. I enjoy modeling, but really struggle with topology. The textures I wanted to experiment with something I've never tried before, but from the forums seems to be a common thing at the moment, Hand painted look. I might try using inks and water colour. My art is no where in the league of you guys, but I enjoy experimenting with 3D.

Concept art: (basic I know)
monster5.png

3D version: (un-smoothed)
monsterwip2.png

Smoothed:
monsterwip.png

Wireframe (Front and back)
screenshot20120726at171.png

For the Green monster I used Zspheres to give him a base mesh, which i find a much quicker method to creating a characters geometry, and making the proportions correct. I then used Maya to start to tackle the topology, which is where i need your help :poly122: :)

Id also like to know what you think of my final animation for university, which was to produce a animation short. This was created in 6 months, and I'm personally not happy with the outcome, as the look i was going for did not work out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9Z60Msvm3c"]The Cracked Pot - YouTube[/ame]

Cheers guys.

Replies

• nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a good base, keep going with it
  • luch174
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screenshot20120727at130.png
    screenshot20120727at130.png

Any advice? Im going to add more divisions in the arms, but for the torso and back how does it look?

Cheers guys. Up to 6640 tris which isn't too bad.
  • luch174
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

aldom.png

any suggestions would be really appreciated :)
  • luch174
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

Uvmapped and ready for zBrush

screenshot20120801at152.png

screenshot20120801at152.png
  • luch174
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i have an issue with exporting zBrush maps across different UV sets from Maya :/ Any ideas?
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    In your animation I think he should have dragged the bucket along the water slower if you take a video of someone getting a bucket of water you will see that water resistance slow them down quite a lot
  • luch174
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    In your animation I think he should have dragged the bucket along the water slower if you take a video of someone getting a bucket of water you will see that water resistance slow them down quite a lot

Yeh i struggled a lot with the animation, and didn't really leave myself much time to clean it up, which was annoying :/ I think in the whole thing there are loads of parts which i am unhappy with, like weight and timing. It was my first real animation, so i still have a ton to learn. I'm hoping to start animating a lot more frequently :D thanks for the advice, if i was to go back to it i would most definitely change that. That project in particular i was looking for a unique style and found it took too much time, and the important stuff i.e. animation suffered from it :(
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How come you've used 3 islands for texturing... :\ shouldnt you be using 1?
  • luch174
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How come you've used 3 islands for texturing... :\ shouldnt you be using 1?

Well i could have fit it all in one map, but i had the feeling that overlapping arms and legs, etc.. would cause issues in zbrush after. I think now its caused more issues lol. Was just trying out using uv sets, used it in my major project with no issues, but still new to zbrush.
  • luch174
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right so here is the current zBrush model, im not really 100% happy with how he looks. I think i need to work back a few stages, but im going for an unrealistic painted clay model (if that makes sense) for example:

7e849d75cbc0fc1a73fa882dad037b99.JPG

You know something not perfect, thats got a bit more character, maybe im taking the easiest route haha Any advice on how to improve would be helpful or what references to use or artists to look at. I've been looking at climbers backs and body builders as well as fat people. Still not really happy though. I am happy with my progress with zBrush, as this is the first attempt i may actually finish.

screenshot20120803at105.png

Not happy at all with that hands, think i need to make the fingers longer.