Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Games internships in the UK?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
Hello,

I've recently graduated from university, my degree had very little to do with games but it was more film and advertising based with 3D. All through it I have been having a go at making game art and would like to start searching for an internship while I wait to take part in my masters next year at Birmingham (Gamer Camp Pro, I already deferred my place to next year as I need to work to get funds for the accommodation).

I've had a good look around at studios that are in London and near the area, most have said that they are planning to do work experience/internships in the future or do not do them at all.

Here are some I have taken a look at:

http://lionhead.com/internships/ - they say they aren't doing any yet but they do have them for programming :S

http://www.creative-assembly.com/jobs/ - links you to the skillset website lol and says nothing else

I also had a look at this thread http://www.game-artist.net/forums/hiring-mods-volunteers/2519-studios-offering-internships-entry-level-positions.html but its really out of date for some stuff (I didn't know that Core Design was still going lol)

Does anyone from the UK know of any internships that are being offered? and if they know which 3D package they want you to use as I am currently learning Maya as most I've seen have asked that Maya is used, this is also the case with my masters degree course.

Thanks!

Replies

• Reale
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    posted in the wrong section man, this is the Pimping and Previews section - maybe you should ask in general discussion.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Reale wrote: »
    posted in the wrong section man, this is the Pimping and Previews section - maybe you should ask in general discussion.

Well general discussion is for anything that's not to do with game art and this is pretty much to do with game art, but w/e.

If an admin could move this thread that'd be great thanks.
  • Reale
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    Well general discussion is for anything that's not to do with game art and this is pretty much to do with game art, but w/e.

If an admin could move this thread that'd be great thanks.

Pimping and Previews
    Use this forum to show off your artwork, ask for feedback or write about your techniques & process. If you don't want to create a new thread you can always use the existing "What Are You Working On?" stickied to the top of P&P.

General Discussion
    This is where all the off-topic 3D/videogame art talk goes. (Read: Anything that isn't art you've made or technical discussions you wish to have, GD is the home for that.) If you're NEW TO POLYCOUNT be sure to check out the sticky thread, just for you.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Max or Maya are fine and basically the same, at the end of the day it's all .FBX

You should add a portfolio and skillset to this thread.
    We're always looking for free labour haha ;P
  • BertR
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    You could always try looking at Gamasutra's Jobs page, not sure if there are any internships there though:
    - http://www.gamasutra.com/jobs/

I've always wondered, is it even possible to do an internship, without being a student (assurances etc)...?
    Anyway, good luck finding one ;)
  • David Wakelin
    There is a huge difference between advertising and marketing 3D then Games 3D, maybe look at them before you settle down on a masters?

I did 3D at college, then took Games Design at university; with graduation due in 2013... theirs a massive difference as with advertising the skys the limit, games are very restricted in what can be done and ways of tackling around problems for hardware; polycount, texture sizes, sculpting, map types, etc.

The fact you've advertising also suggests you havent used a game engine before either; again have a dabble, internships would be hard to get with no acknowledgement of game art requirements, or experience in a engine. :)

Try UDK, CE3 or Unity.