Home General Discussion

questions for making a video game

Hallo

actually the title is at lie, I dont want to make a hole video game, I just want to make a street or so, just to try it out.

but I have some questions:

1) How tall is a building in a video game (like in GTA)
2) How many polys may a building be?
3) And the road, what the width and length in a video game?

I hope some of you will help ;)

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I think all games have units inside, the grid and all.Use those units to figure out, like if the player is 2 units high guess how much will be the door ? or the road for that matter or a car or anything.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1) Most games use real word measurements as a starting point, but the width and height of doors, hallways, and small rooms are a bit exaggerated to make them more comfortable to move and look around it.

2) There's no one answer, buildings can be pretty low poly because they are often pretty flat, sometimes people add in extra geometry just to have more detail vertex painting.

3) Again, it is based on real world measurements, I normally make sure each lane fits 1.5 cars.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The answer all of those are 42 Unreal Vertex Poly Units, but you can only measure them with the LHC.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    1)The tallest building in the GTA series is 437.6 m (1433.7 ft) tall - Jefferson St. Credit Union building

2)how many tris? as much as is needed... the Splash Damage dock art test that was floating around everywhere had a budget of 20,000. Everything above street level can be simplified unless it's a game like Infamous. Just take a look at some other open world games if that's what your shooting for, you can get a good idea of how many triangles to use.

3) road width will mimic real world dimensions - unless it has to be made wider for game play reasons.