Home General Discussion

A video every aspiring artist should see..

switz
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
switz polycounter lvl 10
This rings so true with my own work, and I know most of you feel the same:

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Always a nice message to hear, but oh my I cannot stand that trend of moving types with bold accents and all that jazz. It would be so much stronger as a simple audio stream with no video honestly :)
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This kinetic text thing has become wooden crate of motion design :poly124: Watch original video instead.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Great message!

Agree with Pior, that kind of wow graphic design voice to text video trend is inflitrating everything, and its so aggravating - its definitely not 'cool' - Soon I will have a rocking chair, and I'll be on my porch with a shotgun.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    just right for a rainy monday morning in manchester! :)
  • Alexandra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still trying to get past this phase, but it's nice to be reminded that I'm not alone every once in a while :3
  • Kaeltro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some people never make it out of that phase. Once YOU think your work is good enough it's too late. Something bigger, something better, and something even farther out of what you think your "league" is will come along..it's at that point that you decide to climb that wall and face the challenge or back away and continue to improve your craft until you reach the level that you think could be competitive. At least this is my opinion, and everyone's opinion is different.

I like the idea of piling on work, piling on deadlines, and making professional progress so that you reach that level of quality that you strive for in a quicker time, but the double edged sword to that is if you do too much too fast you burn yourself out. All things in moderation until closing the gap becomes simple.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I think this is a big problem in the industry, probably every industry that exists. Is that people rarely talk about hardship. When people do talk about it they often talk in a ignorant way that makes it feel like they never had any hardships. They only thing they say is work more, as true as that sentences is they need to express their own hardship to put some weight behind it. A simple sentence as you are not alone adds more weight behind those words and adds a bit of emphasis. Can't understand why that is so hard to do when it helps so much.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Always a nice message to hear, but oh my I cannot stand that trend of moving types with bold accents and all that jazz. It would be so much stronger as a simple audio stream with no video honestly :)

I

completely

A
    G
    R
    E
    E with this.
    !

Would've fit much better as a nice article instead of a "feel good about myself" video :P
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    oh yeah i heard the original one a few days ago

I only wonder if an artist can ever reach a point where he/she is satisfied with his/her own art.
    i honestly think i`ll never be because every time i learn something new and get a bit better is see all the flaws i still have.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    The more you know the more you know you dont know.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Great message!

Agree with Pior, that kind of wow graphic design voice to text video trend is inflitrating everything, and its so aggravating - its definitely not 'cool' - Soon I will have a rocking chair, and I'll be on my porch with a shotgun.
    I kind of like it but, really, once you see that's what it's going to be, you can ALT+TAB away and just listen to it. Right? :)

At any rate, I don't think this would have nearly the impact in just text form or a blog entry. I saw the original a number of months back and it was just text at first. I liked it but once I heard him saying the words, it was way more powerful.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Couldn't agree more with Pior and Eld.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    pior wrote: »
    Always a nice message to hear, but oh my I cannot stand that trend of moving types with bold accents and all that jazz.

Personally I love it and can't get enough of it ^ _ ^

Helps me remember information wayyy more too. Different strokes, yo!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great message!

I agree about the moving type.

Dado, This American Life plays on PRI (Public Radio International), which in the US gets rebroadcast by NPR (National Public Radio) on the weekends.

Because NPR does radio almost every story (except their blogs) has audio and can be que'ed up into their web player. So it's great to pick a few stories and have that playing in the background while I work. Which makes it easier to get cool stories and news while skipping over all of the political BS.

Also... NPR plays "Science Friday" which has a lot of cool and interesting content.

Also, Feng zhu's school of Design, their FZD youtube channel rocks but isn't updated nearly as much as I would like. I specifically love his thoughts on the visual library.

Personally, just like reading books can spark a bunch of great creative ideas, so can listening to awesome science and news related stories.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    For being someone in GD, they sure as hell didn't put any effort in the animated text, like this one: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2Z23SAFVA"]Dot Dot Dot (Official Video HD) - YouTube[/ame]

It's static, it's cold, it's has no emotion or visualized moment context images, like say the end letter when the word imagination/creative, etc are used. Talk about an inspiring message not being in an inspiring video.

Just because you learned how to use animated texts in AE, doesn't mean you should put it on everything, put in some effort plox.

Anyhow, as for the message, it's great, chance are you can change a few words around, and you can apply to any field.

As once someone said "Sucking is the first steps to not sucking, and we're on our first bottle of not-sucking-milk, just hang in there brother!".
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Sounds pretty accurate to me, but I don't think I'll ever get to the phase when my work is as good as my ambitions. And I hope I'll never reach that point as it would probably be the end of my career in games (at least env-art) :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    switz wrote: »
    This rings so true with my own work, and I know most of you feel the same:

I am at that phase and it is very well said.

For months I thought it was just me who is stuck in that phase so I started making stuff anyways without deadlines.

The stuff that I'll make is always unfinished and not so presentable, but it is worth your while if you choose to stick around and find a way to pass through it.
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    I agree Nite, gotta keep on truckin'.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    The more you know the more you know you dont know.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.