Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP middle eastern street

iangoold3d
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
iangoold3d polycounter lvl 5
so this is my first post on PC and im making a war torn city scene for my portfolio, im still attending school but i graduate soon so i want to make sure i have some good portfolio work. its a work in progress, need critiques

sssws.jpg

Replies

• Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno...the buildings seem a bit bland. They could use some more dirt closer to the ground...
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Its too empty add newspaper on the ground,small dust storm,some area of focus.Right now it looks too boring and dull.
  • iangoold3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool thanks, ill be working on it
  • CaptainRev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    get some busted cars in there. maybe blood streaking the wall or ground
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    What you're missing is complicated geometry (mainly all I see so far are cubes...anyone can model a cube!). What will make you stand out from the competition is being able to model and UV something that is made of complex geo (a shot down helicopter for example). Looking good so far, but I agree with others. Needs more dirt by the base of the buildings. Add shit :)
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    check your scale, something is amiss on the proportions, as if everything looks too small and the sidewalks are too large...
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Hey! I think you're off to a good start here; you'll need to add a lot more props/clutter, but I think you've already created some pieces that are good candidates for reuse in the scene like the AC units, dumpster, tree, and barricades - some dupes of those, along with a few more props, should go a long way. I made a paintover of your scene to illustrate some suggestions I had for you:

NrFbp.jpg

Firstly, as a couple people have said, you're gonna need a lot more dirt. Here I've added some dirt and grime around areas in the buildings that would collect it - along the base where they meet the ground, and around any recessed areas. I've also added some sand/dirt texture to the street. This might depend on what engine you're using, but I think a good way to do this kind of stuff would be with the kind of techniques described in this tutorial, which I haven't actually seen but it seems pretty legit :)
    http://www.3dmotive.com/training/udk/advanced-mesh-paint-with-udk/?follow=true

In addition to dirt, I also threw in some rubble piles. I've seen people around here recommend these videos for rubble:
    http://vimeo.com/7208356
    http://vimeo.com/7087604

I also added some cracks in the concrete and a manhole cover to the street, just to add some more variation. I'm not actually sure what would be the best way to add the cracks; my first instinct would be to use tiling decals, but maybe somebody here can make a suggestion for this kind of stuff?

Now, for props: Your tree and dumpster looked good, so I added some more of them - like I said, those seem like good things to dupe around the scene. I also agree with CaptainRev that a broken car would work well in this scene. Or if you want to go really crazy, I think it would be SUPER EFFIN' SWEET if you took Selaznog's suggestion of having a shot-down helicopter, and show where it crashed through one of the buildings on its way down. That would be EPIC. But I didn't put that in my paintover, because it would be super-complicated :).

Additionally, pretty much every picture of a middle eastern street that I saw in my (admittedly super quick) 5-second google search had a bunch of power lines, which I thought looked cool. This would be another prop you could make 1 of and just clone all over the place. Also, you've got a few signs with Arabic writing, but I'd probably throw in even more; and really, my paintover probably doesn't even have enough based on the reference images I found. They have a LOT of signs in the Middle East, apparently.

My biggest complaint with what you've got so far is the way the most distant building is broken. I guess it's been hit by a rocket or something, but buildings don't tend to break down so perfectly in real life. Generally, an explosion that would cause that kind of damage would rip off a bigger piece of the front of the building, likely causing structural failures that would cause a whole portion of the building to collapse. Once that happens, you'll see lots of broken stone, bits of rebar, etc on the ground at the base of the building, and you'll probably also be able to see internal structures like the divisions between floors, if it's a multi-story building like this one. Reference will probably be super useful for this.

Finally, I added some stuff in the background, like more buildings, a mosque, and some mountains. I'm sure you have something in mind for the background but your current scene is empty in back so far :). It's up to your personal taste, but I've always thought the juxtaposition of mosques and more modern-looking concrete, rectilinear buildings was pretty cool looking.

Once you're further along with modelling, I also think it would be super nifty if you threw in some effects like sand blowing along the street, or billowing smoke clouds from fires a few blocks away, etc. This kind of desert setting has the potential for a lot of atmosphere.

Good luck man, hope some of these suggestions are helpful!
  • iangoold3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANK you so much broadway! ill be updating in a week or so! once again thanks for all the help!
  • iangoold3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG][/img]1.jpg

Here is my work in progress, im still working on the rubble and damaged building. just an update
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like you're making good progress! The blown up building looks a lot better already, and the dirt/grime plus the papers strewn around the streets look nice. The papers might be a little too white and non-crumpled.

The wooden pallet works well as a cool repeatable junk-type prop, and I think the powerlines look nice. I also like the fabric stuff you've got hanging from the left foreground building (a clothesline, I'm guessing).

Looks like you've started ripping some chunks out of the perfect edges of the buildings, too - this is really helping to make the scene feel less pristine and more battle-scarred. It might help to make the edges of the broken-out chunks less straight and more irregular.

This is definitely shaping up, I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Man, that paint-over by Broadway was awesome. And it looks like the environment is shaping up nicely.
  • iangoold3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the help guys!! here is an update of where i am so far. slowly making my way to the finish:poly121: looking for some critique!

goold_ian_ss.jpg
  • Uninter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wall on that destroyed building in the background is really white man. It's pretty jarring in contrast with the other stuff in shadow, especially because it looks almost as bright as the stuff in direct sunlight.

Looking a lot better than it was though.