Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Challenge - Male

Hey all,

First time poster, long time... not poster. So this is the challenge I finished a few weeks ago for ArenaNet's Character Challenge. First up im posting some Ztool shots, sorry for it being broken up into a bunch of sections, I never actually compiled him completely in zbrush. At the bottom you can find a youtube turntable of the final low poly. The turntable also includes the staff from the concept art. Crits and what not are more than welcome. While this didn't get me anywhere with ArenaNet, it was still a fun project to work on.

*Latest*
Decided to redo the fur, was never really happy with how it turned out, and really need to pick up marmoset. Trial ran out and trying to get viewport 2.0 to work out has been less than fun :/
E4mo7.jpg
*Latest*
CZRg1.jpg
As much of a beauty render as I could get.
RLo0Z.jpg?1
Things like his belt and those plates hanging from his waist.
POxcf.jpg?1
Arms and glove.
vUHXn.jpg?1
Untextured bust and his well... you get the idea.

SlsVJ.jpg
This is the final shot of him in Marmoset.

gDinC.jpg
More recent version of him in Viewport 2.0

This is a turntable rendered realtime from Maya and a material breakdown in marmoset.

And sorry if the video isnt embedded, not exactly sure how to do that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDf0UJsKSIo&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    maybe you could fix your pose a bit, right now I can't feel the weight from the character.
    especially if he has that kind of arm, and one leg stepping on a stone.

keep up the work :)
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Bit of an advice when it comes to modeling character with costumes: build the base mesh (body) and then the costume around the body. You won't get great results when you sculpt a character that has layers of costume from one sculpt, cuz it will look welded together ; rather, you should model out the pieces separately.
    Look up examples from Gears of War 1-3 or Uncharted 1-3 or Mass Effect 2-3. Or just zbrushcentral to gauge yourself. Good luck!
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

For the weight of him I guess I could try dropping the shoulder that is holding the staff and maybe lift the hip on the side that he is standing on.

Garriola, thanks for the advice on building the costume, after checking out some peoples WIPs and submissions, yours included, I definitely wish I pushed this further. But I will keep that in mind for future projects. Looking forward to seeing yours finished :)
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid the fur. I never really cared for the blocked out version I was using so I switched over to planes, and I think it turned out a lot better, maybe a bit over-saturated at the moment. Also dropped the poly count and gave me more room to work in the extra fur parts.

E4mo7.jpg

Also does anyone know how to make alphas work on shadows in maya viewport 2.0? Or should I just bite the bullet and get marmoset?