Home General Discussion

Book Update

So it has been awhile since I have streamed or even talked to any of you about the status of this Book. So here is an update that hopefully will ease some of the minds here and also get some of you fired up. First and foremost I want to say thanks to the artists who contributed to the project for being so calm and understanding about me taking so long to release their tutorials and tips and tricks.

So a little history lesson of this book so that you may understand why this has taken so long to release. Originally this Idea started like most of my competitions generally start out. I just would sit on MSN and bounce ideas off like minded game developer friends until one stuck with a few people.

This idea stuck well with a lot of people. So I decided well lets get some prototype layouts done and see how this would evolve. I knew how to do layouts roughly and the software I grew up using was Pagemaker which is obsolete now and is name InDesign. I did not know how to use InDesign really so I did all of the page layouts in Photoshop by hand. The pages were high res and 300 dpi the whole nine yards.

One flaw was they really were not printable,I truly just wanted this to be a digital media. Once I told the community about this book people started talking about how they would print there own copies to read and so forth.

Well then I started to worry about people complaining once it was released about how they couldn't print it using mom and pops laser printer in the study.

So about this time the book was in final edit mode thanks to Daphz & STRIKER & Maddy for helping with edits and proof reading here and there. A huge thanks to Zoltan a polycounter who was the main editor of text. But hey if you find shit that is wrong we tried to make it as best we could on a zero dollar budget.

Being in Final edit mode I decided that I would teach myself InDesign and use the Photoshop versions as a rough draft. Well once I started getting masters setup and everything started to get aligned better I realized this may have taken the book longer to be release but the quality would be a one hundred times better.

I know a lot of you users don't care much for how things look you would have been fine with a word pad text doc explaining the work-flows. This was never about that type of media this was always designed to be a prototype to set the pace for the future.

Currently there is no real media out there for us video game artists. This was to prove to publishers that there is a need for this in current media. I also wanted to also give the artists works and tutorials the proper look and feel they deserved. They put in the time to create the tutorials and tips and tricks articles for you guys it was only fair they get a proper layout and semi professional look to them. Even though I have no clue what professional layouts look like ha ha but I tried my best.

As the book sits right now it is basically done, I need to do another quick read to make sure everything is good to go then setup a few servers to handle the workload. Then she is ready for release to you guys. I currently am leaving for Sweden August 1st and won't be able to release it before then but I want you to know it won't be long until I land and get my PC set back up to get this ball moving for you guys. Just hang in there and it will be here soon I promise.

I am sorry for the tease earlier then not releasing it. It was ready to be released back then I just did not feel it truly was ready. Now I think the redo and the wait was worth it and I hope you guys and gals do too when its out!

Thanks for the support!

Replies