Home General Discussion

[Yet another remake] Total Recall

Replies

• kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Not a big deal but did anyone else notice how many shots were incredibly similar to those from the matrix films?
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    kendo wrote: »
    Not a big deal but did anyone else notice how many shots were incredibly similar to those from the matrix films?

If you meant poorly done over the top cg fight scenes, then yes.

I just wanna know what Kuato looks like in this version

....and god damn I miss 90's ultra gore.
  • fill3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fill3r polycounter lvl 12
    Kuato wont even be in it. Nor will we be going to mars.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    fill3r wrote: »
    Kuato wont even be in it.

According to the imdb list, Bill Nighy will be playing Kuato(or his voice).
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    ..The Science Guy?
  • Dan!
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    You may continue making this film now
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking they missed the point?

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, the 1990 Total Recall was awesome because of its sense of humor. 3-boobed chick, mutants, Schwarzenegger on Mars, etc. And I bet it was that way for a lot of other people.

But this thing seems to go down a very serious route, which makes it very hard to then take seriously because it's such a fluff story (assuming it's the same story as the first one). Just seems really odd to me.

This basicly.
  • Stinger88
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Saw it this weekend, the art and visuals are awesome, especially the colony area where colin farrel lives, the asian influences are sweeeet. overall the movie was alright, entertaining if you are not expecting much. some of the tech stuff was awesome though, like their phones and some of the other toys they have. and also, the 3 boobed chicks was hooooot! haha.

so visually an awesome ride, anyone looking for some inspiration should check it out, story wise it was ok, nothing mind blowing.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting. That's pretty much the antithesis of everything I've heard so far.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Saw it this weekend, the art and visuals are awesome, especially the colony area where colin farrel lives, the asian influences are sweeeet. overall the movie was alright, entertaining if you are not expecting much. some of the tech stuff was awesome though, like their phones and some of the other toys they have. and also, the 3 boobed chicks was hooooot! haha.

so visually an awesome ride, anyone looking for some inspiration should check it out, story wise it was ok, nothing mind blowing.

Saw it Saturday and I second this. Turn your brain off and ogle the art and you'll be happy. Some of the best production design in a looooong while.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Glad they kept the boobs part, lol.

It was alright I echo PixelMasher's/MrHobo comments as well, just watch it as if you never seen the Arnie one, you will be like I remember that here and their.
    I like the subtle hints here and their from his first rendition, like the two weeks lady. :)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    There were some nice, fun nods to the 1990 movie (without being obnoxious in-your-face). Visually the movie was pretty fantastic; I especially enjoyed the look of the Colony. Lots of action set pieces, pretty fun ride. It however managed to be even less cerebral than the Arnie movie. Which is a bit sad, when you think about it.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    Did any of you watch paycheck or impostor?
    i'm curious what these were like.

I believe I DID see Impostor. That was the film where Gary Senise plays a man who is suspected of being an alien robot/bomb, right? I caught that randomly when it was being shown on television.

I remember that it was actually quite solid. Definitely felt more like a hard science fiction movie. Gary Senise was fantastic as the lead character. Some of the supporting cast wasn't quite as good, and that brought the film down a little bit. There is a bit of a "twist" ending, but that isn't the main draw. The performances in the middle of the film are where it really shines.

I saw this film on clearance in one of Best Buy's bargain bins recently and picked up a copy. I've got to throw it in the Blu-Ray player and watch it again.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason I always get this film confused with the bourne legacy, also is it just me or are the constant bass drops in trailers (maybe its just in the cinema) getting really tiresome. Its like oooo big action moment *bass drop*.

This film looks alright from the trailer but from alot of the comments of people relating this somewhat to blade runner which I found to be the worlds most boring film I guess I should still remain skeptical of this :P.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Saw this over the weekend. Honestly, I enjoyed it. Sure, they could have had a stronger story and explained some things a little better. And in no way does it compare to the original. But this isnt a direct remake. It's a different story all together. But, I enjoyed it. I thought it was entertaining, and the visuals were superb (minus the cars in the car chase... horrible animation)
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Not as good as the Arnie one, but I did like the car chase and the catfight.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I just saw it. I was never a big fan of the old Arnie movie and I actually think this one is better. It's more serious, the whole world is bigger, the music and settings are great. However, it's nothing more than a remake which seems to be a collection of stuff from other movies like Blade runner, Matrix, Minority report etc. I do feel that the movie could have been shorter though but I guess it was all more about being an action movie with cool explosions and stuff. I actually prefer movies to be like this rather than trying to be funny(like transformers) and having a story that takes itself too seriously.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    What a FAIL... they don't know what to do and they come with this.
  • Poly-Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 16
    I actually have worked on this ( well the VFX side anyway ) it was my 1st movie gig working on the inside and it was great.
    The standard of work i saw was pronominal but you do get a sence of i hope am not working hard on a Lemon un-like games where you can see it an play it the vfx you only get to see the shot`s assigned to the company altho we did like 80% of the vfx i have still to see the final product it`s very much mixed reviews and hopefully even if it douse relay suck it will look pretty doing so .. i get to see it in UK end of the month.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Nice, Jon. Like I said, I enjoyed it. The visuals were amazing. The only visuals I wasn't a fan of was the car chase. The scenery was amazing, but the cars that got smashed up and flipped all over the place and stuff. They just looked fake.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    slipsius wrote: »
    Nice, Jon. Like I said, I enjoyed it. The visuals were amazing. The only visuals I wasn't a fan of was the car chase. The scenery was amazing, but the cars that got smashed up and flipped all over the place and stuff. They just looked fake.

Also, I wonder why all the cars looked alike? Even if they were different, the differences looked minor. They all had the same basic shape and size, no larger or smaller versions.. :/
  • Poly-Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 16
    I never worked on the car chases at all but my understanding is ..

slipsius - Yea the director was also in cage of how the cars reacted it was all for that bigger action scene as well as some of the scenes were filmed for real mostly for ref etc and the cars had roll cages around them making them roll more than they would.

Saman - The cars like every aspect were totality controlled by the director and who ever is coughing up the money to have their badge on the cars their were a few variety's but they had to be fairly subtle.

but like i said i diddent work on the car chase stuff i worked on the Chinafall
    ( the big elevator thing ) worked on the top n bottom as well as all the tunnel which was cool as their a good chunk of the film

our job was to do what they say and make it look ace i think we achived that for my 1st film an quite proud as the shots my stuff went in to looks ace :)