Home Technical Talk

Requested Sub-object level is out of range

This is my first time posting and I hope that someone can help.

I've recently started to model an Ithaca Model 37 using the tutorial that Millenia created. When I click "Normalize UV Shells" I get the titular error and a window with a good deal of coding pops up.

If I can find out how to post images I can give a screen cap of the code.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Even if you can't get a screenshot, at least mention the software you are using ;)
  • Nilihum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DS Max 2012 Student Edition.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    This is like a great treasure hunt :)

You're using this tutorial: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_1ql8yH2Ow"]Weapon creation tutorial - Part 3 (UV & baking) - YouTube[/ame] and you're using TexTools and you're trying to use the normalize button on that script? What do you have in your current object stack?

The TexTools thread could have some help. (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69736) RenderHJS often mentions that you need to have an Edit Poly modifier on the stack. The problem could be that you're using Max 2012, though.

To post images, press print screen, open photoshop or paint and paste, then go to an image hosting site like imgur.com and upload an image then link it in your post.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Some TexTools functions no longer work with newer Max versions (if I remember correctly) - From 2012 onwards though, Max's UV editor has gotten a lot better, including their normalising function..
  • Nilihum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I managed to get a screen shot, I didn't know that I needed an imagehost. Sorry about turning this into an egghunt.

S16AQ.png
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max2012 has the exact same feature now, it is called "Rescale Elements" and its found in the UV editor under "Arrange Elements" and you should give it a try. It's a little more robust than the normalize script in texTools. Rescale Elements works on any kind of geometry and works in instances of the UwrapUVW that are applied to multiple objects unlike MoP's normalize script which at the time was a gift from heaven but had a few quirks, this being one of them.

Anyway... rescale elements, give it a try.
  • Nilihum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rescale Elements seems to have worked, thank you.

If you have any tips that you can give me, that would be great. And if you have any tutorials that are as in depth as Millenia's I'd love to know about them as I've learned more in that one tuutorial than I have in two years of formal education.

If I have any more problems I shall ask about them here.
  • Nilihum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't had much time lately to follow the tutorial, but I'm stuck again nonetheless.

I'm using the projection modifier and I have "array miss" (the cage is missing). Millenia deals with it quite handily in the above video (after the 44:00 mark) by using more push. My error is a lot larger (an widespread) and cannot be solved in such a manner, it seems.

Can anybody help?

adLup.jpg

Thanks again.
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    move single verts
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be helpful to see the viewport with the cage active.
    If I had to guess the cage is probably messed up and you need to press reset and the push it out again. But that is just a guess, I'm kind of flying blind...
  • Nilihum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry it took so long to reply.

As you can see on the stock here where there is an error, the face seems quite rough. Moving single verts as scapulator suggested seems to help.

JNKbI.png

Thanks again.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    The automatic flatten UVs is the problem, you need to remove that modifier and in the render to texture settings change it to use existing UVs instead of automatic UVs.
  • Nilihum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while, I haven't been doing as much 3D modelling as I'd like.

I've removed Automatic Flatten UVs, it wasn't the problem.

M8n1S.jpg

I'd like to draw attention the the stock, however. You can see the high poly through the low poly. I've play with the low poly model so that you can't see the high poly through it.

QQbTx.png

This is the result of moving the polygons. While I've no idea what the big red square on the stock is, I thibk I've fixed it as a whole. Any comments? Should I continue or try to fix more?

ZvbCg.jpg
  • hiredblade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The red spots on the texture are ray misses. That means; they are the parts where your mesh goes beyond your cage. When they should be IN the cage. And it also means that, normals cannot be generated since the ray goes to infinite at those points.

The solution would be tweaking your cage, to tightly wrap around your mesh. But also you should cover all of the mesh.

after that, the red spots would be fixed. and the normals can be calculated.