Home General Discussion

Anyone in Montreal need a roomie?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Gannon interpolator
I'm moving to Canada in 3 weeks to start my first studio position at Gameloft and will need to find a place to live.

Anyone have any suggestions on areas to look for/stay away from? Tips for traveling without a car?

I hate drawing attention to myself but I'm kinda going into unknown territory lol. I've seen a few threads on here before but they just kinda mentioned the awesome stuff like the foods and events.

Replies

• brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    First off Congrats!

I couldn't tell you where to stay since I don't know the area.. but I've heard from a few different people that the public transit in Montreal is really good - most people don't own a car.

Make sure to pack your toque and mittens, your going to need them lol.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    hitching a ride on your thread, I'll be moving there in 5 weeks. Gameloft too :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I believe a 'le congrats' is in order. I hear health care is free up there. Maybe rent is too. :D
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Hey grats, welcome to the studio. They're not putting you up in a temporary place?

A popular place to live is the Plateau area, but the rent can be a little high then usual.

Neighbourhoods that are close to Gameloft are Mile End and Rosemont. I live in Outremont which is also close, however I take a 15min bus to work. Ideally you want to try to live close to the Orange Line Metro because it's the major subway line that runs through Montreal. And in the winter, you can just go underground as opposed to waiting outside for the bus. But overall, it's quite easy to get around by transit and even by walking. I haven't felt a need for a car at all since I got here.

Also, if you don't know yet, http://www.padmapper.com/ is a great tool to look for places to rent. On that note, there are tons of places available pretty much all the time. So you can also just walk around the neighbourhood that you like and look for the "A louer" signs. Talking with the landlords, on the other hand, may be tough depending on how much English they may know (or how much French you may know)

Lastly, most of Montreal seem to use http://montreal.kijiji.ca/ over craigslist. So run a few searches there for rentals as well
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Gratz, welcome to Gameloft Montreal.

You don't need a car, just get a monthly metro pass and you can get pretty much everywhere on the island.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Thanks guys, and Congrats to fonfa as well :D. I've been checking out Kijiji a lot but it's hard to know without checking it out in person.

I've got a temp place for 2 weeks but after that I've gotta find my own.

Thanks for the info Alexk I'll definitely start looking around the Metro.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Grats!

There's a REALLY good place for beer near there (best microbrew in the city) at Dieu du Ciel.

^_^
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Grats!

There's a REALLY good place for beer near there (best microbrew in the city) at Dieu du Ciel.

^_^

The few beers I've had from them... they were real good.
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Hey! Congrats for your new job! And welcome to Montreal!
    Hope you'll enjoy the city there.

Like others say, unless you travel a lot, don't think you'll need a car : parking are nightmare in downtown. Subway are great here to use and you'll only need to pay a card every month. Otherwise, houses are expansive in downtown. :P
  • Dim
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Congratz man! Since it's fairly short notice, I'd recommend subletting a place in the McGill Ghetto. Since all the students are gone for the summer, it's can be really cheap, and it couldn't be a better location. Right in the downtown, and Mt. Royal is like a 10 minute walk away. Bars are close, food and movies as well, lot of restaurants. I did it last summer and it was cheap (about $400/mo w/ 2 roomates), and couldn't have asked for a better location.

Check out listings in the A/B section of this site: https://offcampuslistings.ca/home.html

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    so.... polycount beer night at dieu du ciel?
  • 3DKnight
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    watch out for some slums though, in montreal take the phrase "you get what you pay for" to heart ;)

quite a few of us montrealers here, let me know if you have any Q's. Look at as many places as humanly possible. I live on the plateau, it's more expensive but it rocks.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Been here three days now and its pretty cool. If anyone wants to hang out tonight hit me up! I'm Kinda broke until Friday but I'm up for just about anything.

Trying to see if they'll let me start earlier than Monday because my computer didn't survive the flight D: . If anyone minds helping me trouble shoot it I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • Julmust
  • Crash
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    GZ guys!

Welcome to Montreal!

More and more PCers coming to Mtl! Maby its time for a PCM party? :)