Home General Discussion

Noob joining to spread my horizons...

Hi Peeps!

I've been studying with Train2Game.... I'm sure some of you will have heard of it!

I've been on the course for about a year and a half and only feel now that I'm getting to grips with it and going to start focussing on some portfolio stuff...

I've been learning 3Ds Max and Blender (I'm working on a commercial project, plus I prefer it to max!!) and am determined to get some free time coming up shortly and force myself to sit down and make some true awesomeness...

Would love to be a concept artist but my 2d skills are utterly, utterly appauling... :( - so I would like to get good enough to do it via 3d!!!

I've not really got anything worth showing as of the moment but I will be working on stuff shortly!!!

in the mean time does anyone have any good generic human character sheets as I can't find any anywhere!!! they all seem to be not quite right.... and I can never get photo's to match up correctly even tho I spend hours doing it...

ta peeps!!!

Replies

• Macattackk
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Welcome! :D

One thing that is always true though, is that if you think you suck at something - you can only get better by doing it!

My hand-drawing skills were a bit lacking a month ago, but since then I've worked on a small drawing a day and I'd like to think that I can produce something fairly good now.

My main point is that if you want to do something such as concept art, then don't let something as trivial as your current skill get in the way.
    People can learn skills :)
  • Shugs81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers guys.... I'm working on the drawing sides of things... it's getting better but slowly... :(

as to 3d.sk... I've got a large collection of their photo's and i really struggle to line them up... I spend hrs makeing them the right size and shape and the match perfectly in photoshop but when it comes to modelling with them they always seem to go out... i can never work out if i'm doing stuff wrong in ps or when I put them in blender/max...
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    The thing about using images to model after, is that they will never line up 100% that's when YOU have to make the choice of which one to follow or what to do.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Shugs81 wrote: »
    cheers guys.... I'm working on the drawing sides of things... it's getting better but slowly... :(

as to 3d.sk... I've got a large collection of their photo's and i really struggle to line them up... I spend hrs makeing them the right size and shape and the match perfectly in photoshop but when it comes to modelling with them they always seem to go out... i can never work out if i'm doing stuff wrong in ps or when I put them in blender/max...

3d.sk takes them so that they line up pretty damn well. just use grid lines in PS and size them and what not so that they line up side by side. even if theyre not perfect, itll be good enough, trust me. its up to you to recognize shapes and proportions based on the images and act accordingly.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    protip: get a sketchbook - Train2Game is in London, right? That means you probably take public transportation - that's a great time to sketch strangers in a small sketchbook. Drawing is a great foundation skill that also has the benefit of being extremely portable.
  • Shugs81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    currently my job requires little attention so getting some sketching done then...

good tip about the grid lines too!! never thought of that! Doh!
  • Shugs81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops... forgot to add... Train2Game is a UK based correspondance course... good for basics but i reckon I've learnt more from various vid sites... it's a good way to get a qualification specially seeing as it went city & guilds... a respected vocational qualification... at a fraction of the cost of university these days... plus getting into the field late on means any help i can get the better!! I'm based in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, North East England... not that any of this seems relevant anymore!! :D
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    Shugs81 wrote: »
    oops... forgot to add... Train2Game is a UK based correspondance course... good for basics but i reckon I've learnt more from various vid sites... it's a good way to get a qualification specially seeing as it went city & guilds... a respected vocational qualification... at a fraction of the cost of university these days... plus getting into the field late on means any help i can get the better!! I'm based in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, North East England... not that any of this seems relevant anymore!! :D

Is it UK only? Wheres the signup/extra info page? It all sound cool but the Pictures and there site looks like a cheap 10yo online course.
    How much odes it cost and how detailed and good there courses are?
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I thought so. For a moment I throughout I could follow one of there courses to get a degree, and maybe start working from there, since going to the UK to Teeside or HFS scares the shit out of me:)
    The amount of money it costs is amazing:(
  • Shugs81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's a good start... 5k and 3 years to do it rather than 10k a year at uni... Teesides supposed to be a top uni now... when i went there it was sh!t and i just got drunk as most of the tutors were awful and didn'tknow what they were doing...
  • Shugs81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh... just read the thread on train2game... it really isn't quite that bad... well... I don't think it's that bad and there's a lot of companies tied in with Tiga who were backing the qual before it got city and guilds.... not really had probs with them and they seem to actually be listening to the students this time.... I don't think i would reccomend them over university but if you wanted a course to do while working etc its pretty reasonable... but then again as autodesk release all their software for free (non commercial use) it's probably not really an option... tied in for another year tho... oh well... :( thanks for cheering me up.... *sniff sniff* (lol)