Home Technical Talk

texturing advice

juguefre
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
juguefre polycounter lvl 11
Hello, I really need to hear your opinion about texturing characters, is better to make the texture on Photoshop or bake the diffuse from a painted highpoly from Zbrush?

The point is the the model in zbrush looks really nice but the baked texture have many flaws so I really don't know what is the best here or what is the standard. Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.
Wilson.

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    juguefre wrote: »
    Hello, I really need to hear your opinion about texturing characters, is better to make the texture on Photoshop or bake the diffuse from a painted highpoly from Zbrush?

The point is the the model in zbrush looks really nice but the baked texture have many flaws so I really don't know what is the best here or what is the standard. Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks.
    Wilson.

Well Zbrush links to photoshop, so you can get better results with that. To get good textures from painting within zbrush you have to work super high poly...which is frustrating.

See: http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/external-goz/

It is kind of annoying but while zbrush is the best at sculpting a mesh, perhaps the best at projection based painting is Mudbox (it doesnt matter what resolution your mesh is, it paints to the surface of the diffuse map) (can also load in normal map information to see where the details are).

You may also try 3d coat.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    For sculpting, I go with Zbrush all the way. For painting, it's all Mudbox. That's my preference, as I feel that is what those 2 applications are best at.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Dataday wrote: »
    It is kind of annoying but while zbrush is the best at sculpting a mesh, perhaps the best at projection based painting is Mudbox (it doesnt matter what resolution your mesh is, it paints to the surface of the diffuse map) (can also load in normal map information to see where the details are).

I still don't understand why Pixologic are letting Mudbox beat them with regards to texture painting..

Mudbox even let's you paint bumpmaps and have them displayed instantly (though to be fair, my brushes acted all weird when I last tried it). Nifty.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Mudbox even let's you paint bumpmaps and have them displayed instantly
    Zbrush does too, it just wont let you see the bump at the same time as the diffuse (though this could be possible with mixing, or a quick heightmap swap... not sure)