Home General Discussion

Whatever you do, don't model the Enterprise

From my experience it seems like there's a stigma surrounding Startrek related artwork.

I guess I was just wondering why? I remember reading a portfolio building book that actually went so far as to say "don't model the starship enterprise." At the time it seemed amusing that a book would go so far as to point that out specifically among a list of otherwise general advice.

I can understand that it's unwise to redo artwork that's been done before, if only because there can be a lot of comparisons drawn, and in some cases especially for less skilled artists this can make their work look inferior, but is that the main reason so many avoid "fanboy" art so much?

Are these folks simply looked down upon for not coming up with something new? Or is it simply considered the sign of an amateur to make artwork related to a well known series?

I mean, if you did something new that was still set in the same universe would you still get judged for it because it's Trek stuff?

I guess I just bring it up because I often feel an itch to make Trek related art or levels, but always worry having it on my site might make some judge the work more critically in some way. On the other hand, if I do a really good job at it, would it matter in the long run if it was inspired by an established series or not?

Thanks for any input on my ravings lol.

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It has to do with expectations more then anything, and being a fan of something, only to create and for it to look like a cows fried udders will only inflict a moral damage to yourself and your skillset.

So I guess the advice isn't so much as 'don't outright model the Enterprise' as much as 'when the time comes, and you have the skills, you know which mountain to climb'.

I know this feeling because I used to be a massive Warhammer Fan, tried my hand at Warhammer art, came out really bad, I mean REALLY bad, as in a mother couldn't love that child bad.

Left me really bummed out for a few good months, same with a friend of mine, who wanted to create a Next-Next-Gen Sci-Fi StarWars models, but them ended up looking crap. It becomes worse when you display your artwork, and someone with better skills recreates a pseudo version of your art and it's much better then yours.

So take it for what you will, that's just...like my opinion man!
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I think it's sort of like don't model an ak because there are thousands of ak's already.But you see some guys are just great modellers,texture artists etc and they can even stand out as i've on this site even with the most common models.So i think in that portfolio book the author must think that you should find more pleasing and original models i guess so you stand up in the sea of clones and bad models :)).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The main issue with the Enterprise is greebles. New artists forget to block out and make sure they got the proportions and large details correct before jumping into the stuff you can barely see. And that part can be hard and frustrating if you aren't using the proper techniques.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Model whatever you want if it actually gets you working on something you enjoy.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    I personally don't find it attractive. If you modelled it really well, updating the design to be more attractive (less this, more this) then it'd be better.

I put Warhammer 40K Space Marines in the same boat. The proportions of the figures look iconic and work at a 25mm scale but look like butt when you make it full sized. If you can do it really well, artistically interpreting it like this or do something different like this then it's awesome, but they usually come off with ugly proportions looking like "my first 3d model".
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Someone in my class wanted to model the inside of the Enterprise for a final project, and our department head basically said "no." Why? Because it was too geometric and blocky; the kind of thing a beginner could model.

I just did a quick image search of its interior, and found that yeah it would be incredibly easy to model and something anyone could do.

It would be better not to waste your time on something like that. It's a competitive industry and you really want to stand out. Prove you can model and texture something of complex shapes (which is why people often do guns I think; they're so freaking complicated. A lot of weird shaped parts that don't have enough natural seams for easy UV's.)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    The main issue with the Enterprise is Tribbles.

fixed it for ya
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Another one is elves, orcs, spacemarines and scifi corridors, yet that isnt stopping anyone ;)

result = all.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That reminds me someone tells not to put robots in portfolio
    (someone here at PC i guess)
    Also no mech is allowed on past Comicons challenge. If i remembered it correctly , the reason behind it is : because everyone will end up with optimus prime etc etc
    I don't get it. Mech are awesome !!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    It sounds like it was just some throw-away comment in a book. I wouldn't dwell on it. Model whatever you want. A recruiter is going be looking for nice edge disparity etc., they aren't going to be concerned with things like judging you over your interests. Not someone you'd want to be working with, anyway. I'm sure a crapton of CG artists are Trekkies.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    It's a bit of a silly thing to regard as a statement, but for what it's worth, my opinion as someone who does vehicles and spaceships is that the Enterprise is just a boring, ugly design. I've never liked any spaceships from Star Trek to be honest (designwise), Star Wars is so much better in that aspect.
    So yeah, if i'd see it in someone's portfolio, I'd be just "meh", if it's well done I might even think "wish they did something else.."
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    It`s obviously because Star Wars > Startrek
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    why not Strangefate did a pretty good job on this one:

image2.jpg
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree ae. that is a pretty fantastic enterprise. :)

My point was less specifically about modeling the ent. and more about modeling Trek related assets in general. I appreciate all the input. It's given me the confidence to approach a Trek universe game level, most likely for a unique ship design. That way I'm not just copying an established ship, and it'll allow me to plan for more interesting gameplay.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    perna wrote: »
    Your portfolio will be judged based on the quality of your work. That's all.

Not if its full of Star Trek ships though surely? You cant help some biases, and you dont want someone to find out that you are a trekky until they meet you in person.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    ae. wrote: »
    why not Strangefate did a pretty good job on this one:

image2.jpg
    dat post processing
    dem lensflares

It's good, just distracting with all the special effects.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian Jones "BoBo the Seal" has some trek related art in his portfolio and if I had the money, I would pay him to sit on the beach and create whatever he wanted to. Then I would hire other people to make games out of it.

I could make that decision based only on his trek related art from 2002. It's not really the content but the talent that went into it. BoBo could do any of the other cliche's and he would do them incredibly well.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is don't shy away from things that you like but make sure you can do them justice and that they will carry over whatever other points you are trying to make. If you're trying to get a job working on cutie games trek and gritty FPS stuff isn't going to work and vice versa, so make sure whatever you go after your portfolio speaks to what they do.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Model the best looking Enterprise anyone has ever seen .... GO!
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    there will always be some type of association with any chosen subject. i think you should create what you like. that will increase the chance of you finding yourself on a project aligned with your own sensibilities.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Whatever you do, dont draw people
    fucking EVERYBODY does it

(that is to say, i think its silly advice -- just pick what you like and KILL IT. If you're not good enough, get better.)
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    With that mentality why do anything...

Do art! No buts or exclusions, Aslong as a portfolio shows the skill set needed for the job nobody cares about the content. Sure if it's the same style as the game we're producing then that's even better, but if there's a folio with completely unrelated content yet a higher skill set, the skills win.

Just make sure you show off in your trek art that you can make next gen modular env pieces or stunning chars. Udk! high polies! Material differentiation, effective secular use, hard surface, organic, cloth crease understanding etc and all the other tech that makes our art come to life.

Go do it now, make it so!
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian Jones "BoBo the Seal" has some trek related art in his portfolio and if I had the money, I would pay him to sit on the beach and create whatever he wanted to. Then I would hire other people to make games out of it.

I could make that decision based only on his trek related art from 2002. It's not really the content but the talent that went into it. BoBo could do any of the other cliche's and he would do them incredibly well.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is don't shy away from things that you like but make sure you can do them justice and that they will carry over whatever other points you are trying to make. If you're trying to get a job working on cutie games trek and gritty FPS stuff isn't going to work and vice versa, so make sure whatever you go after your portfolio speaks to what they do.

EF2 ahhh. Too awesome :D I loved the Elite Force series, one of my big inspirations for getting into game art in fact. Thanks for pointing him out, and for your advice.
  • Azreality
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think many comments here are spot on... Model what makes you happy and gets you motivated. It may not always be great for the front page portfolio but it's surely better than nothing if you've knocked the model out of the park. ;)

I probably get a lot of flack for my AT-AT model I did on my port but I did it for me and took a lot of time with the details. Only later to find out there is a video tutorial explaining how to model one. *sigh*

To play devils advocate here....

I think doing something from the fan boy world can also help other people know what you like. What are your passions? 40k? Starwars? Trek? If they see a model of one of those they'll get an idea of your passions.

A space corridor or ruined building.... they are all over the place in portfolios. What are you saying about yourself when you show those off? You may or may not have skill to do something boring... ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the land of creative design and concepts having a portfolio of fan art is a death sentence so I guess there is some truth to it but I'm not sure it translates all that well to modeling for games.

If you are hired to be creative and design something the world has never seen before, Feng Zhu style. Then they aren't looking for Chun-Li crotch shots or Blanka making pound cake.

But if you're being hired to faithfully recreate a world, it will be easier for people who live and breath it and have demonstrated so in their portfolio. By all means show that you are creative and can color outside the lines without it looking like crap but isn't one of the key attractions to working in this industry is doing what you love?

Sure fandom can be embarrassing and you might want to hide it under a rock but honestly most places are looking for that perfect mix of obsessed artist who happens to love the content. It's really hard to educate and motivate people about things they have no interest in. So think of this way you might miss out on that job working on the one off trek sci-fi shooter, if you don't embrace your fanboi-hood.

But yea its probably good to also show some diversity because the chances of the planets aligning perfectly are kind of slim but you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot if they ever do.
  • Mask_Salesman