Home General Discussion

Monster Hunter 4

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDZznlD-PL8&"]N3DS????????????????????? - YouTube[/ame]

Not a fan myself, but I hear there's one or two people that think it's ok on these boards. ;)

Personally I'm unimpressed with the visuals, some crazy colour choices and very noisy images, the character gets completely lost IMO. I hope to resolution problems are also less noticeable on the 3DS/XL.

Replies

• Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Oh my, my my...

He was riding a Rathalos...

But why on the 3DS? Awful system for a monster hunter game, especially since the Vita has dual thumb sticks now. Why you make no sense capcom?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Oh man, do want.

I don't care if the graphics are good/bad, gameplay is the same etc... Just give me more Monsuta Hantaaa!!

We didn't even get 3G for 3DS yet though, and still no Portable3rd on PSP so not holding high hopes for a localisation.

Sucks about the region lock on 3DS too, can't even import it unless you import a console too.

I'll stick with P3rd until then but still want an easy way to play it on Vita.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Oh my, my my...

He was riding a Rathalos...

But why on the 3DS? Awful system for a monster hunter game, especially since the Vita has dual thumb sticks now. Why you make no sense capcom?

1. Which console sold the most monster hunter games?

2. How many thumbsticks did it have?

;)

The Vita has a much much more powerful set of hardware. The 3ds aligns perfectly with the level of content they're going for, they're not going to pick a platform that would mean them having to retool for a next-gen look, with the 3ds they can pretty much retain the same style and roughly the same specs they've been using since the ps2, and even re-use a bunch of the content.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did capcom start hiring handicapped children from deviantart to cut development costs?
    seriously what the hell, psv monhan could become such a beautiful game and this looks like they didn't even try.
    mid trailer scenery looks ok, but texture tiling is just terrible, and everything looks so bland and chunky :((
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ikken wrote: »
    did capcom start hiring handicapped children from deviantart to cut development costs?
    seriously what the hell, psv monhan could become such a beautiful game and this looks like they didn't even try.
    mid trailer scenery looks ok, but texture tiling is just terrible, and everything looks so bland and chunky :((

Again, had they gone vita the gap would've become even more glaringly obvious, I don't think anyone should even be surprised that they picked the 3ds, and I don't think anyone should be surprised about the lacking visuals.

And I'm a fan of the series.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    I've never played it but after playing Dragon's Dogma I really want to check out a Monster Hunter game.

Until recently I thought it was something like Pokemon or Digimon with collecting monsters and stuff.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I've never played the Monster Hunter series but that game looks really interesting. I think the developers decided to go with concept art choices without compromising even on the color scheme. That would be my guess. This shows they have respect for their concept team.

Also the music and animation seems incredible. If the gameplay can match that I would give this game a try...if only I owned that system that it's being released for.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    not a fan that nintendo consoles get all the new monhan games :/

monhan for me is a couple of schoolboys gathering around at burger king after a burger to slay some monsters on their psp!
    ...and me joining their server!

to my knowledge there's been lots more monhan releases on psp (not to mention the pc mmo-), don't understand why sony lost this third party? :(
    (other than the bigger install base due to hardware sales from nintendo of course..)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I've never played it but after playing Dragon's Dogma I really want to check out a Monster Hunter game.

Is Dragon's Dogma similar then? Haven't played it but been meaning to, if it's like MH then I need to get on it asap!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look up some vid's on youtube of the psp version, which i'll assume is pretty similar to 4. It's pretty darn huge game with numerous tactic's and weapon path's. In the psp version's I've hit about 1300 hours in, since 07'

Stupidly addictive when playing with friends!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, heavily playerskill-based rpg, tons of tactic involved and fantastic coop!

Every different swing and its trajectory, speed and recovery from a wweapon has to be taken into consideration and learned.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    It's too bad the 3DS is region locked, I doubt we'll see a localized version anytime soon.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Sorry, lol I meant that I've played Monster Hunter (lots of it!) but not Dragons Dogma, and was wondering if DD is similar to MH.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I love the monster hunter series. It looks like they have made the characters much more nimble. I think one of the things that I fell in love with was that you couldn't just run up to a monster and press a button and win. That is also why many hated it. You have to actually plan and line up most swings/shots of your weapon. I do wish they would make a grownup Monster Hunter for the consoles though. Few to none of my friends play portable systems.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Quack! wrote: »
    I love the monster hunter series. It looks like they have made the characters much more nimble. I think one of the things that I fell in love with was that you couldn't just run up to a monster and press a button and win. That is also why many hated it. You have to actually plan and line up most swings/shots of your weapon. I do wish they would make a grownup Monster Hunter for the consoles though. Few to none of my friends play portable systems.

Yeah the combat system is definitely awesome. I love how each weapon has different recovery/attack times and you really have to 'learn' the weapon types.

They did release Tri G for Wii... if you can call that a 'grown up console'. You can also get Portable 3rd HD for the PS3 which is amazing (more so if you've got the PSP version too to transfer your save files).

I kinda like the charm of the portable series though, it's one of the few games where I don't care how good/bad the graphics are, I just enjoy the gameplay and the compulsion to farm gear and the feeling you get after seeing 'Mission Complete' on a monster who's just battered you a thousand times.
  • Stepoole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sick!!!!
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Sorry, lol I meant that I've played Monster Hunter (lots of it!) but not Dragons Dogma, and was wondering if DD is similar to MH.

I don't know lol, I haven't played monster hunter. It's by a similar team, so it's meant to have *some* similar concepts. DD is only solo, though, but the RPG is great and the boss battles are sort of like Shadow of the Colossus -- you can climb on dudes and they all have their weak points. I wouldn't say it's amazing, but it's very good.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    To be fair, Monster Hunter is terrible for Solo-Players, I still remember the PS2 version was an utter gutter for me, since I couldn't get anything fun out of it, all by myself.

Plus alot of the challenge is 'muted' in SP, which is kinda a double edged sword in many cases.

I then took a gander at it on my friends Wii Online, and the difference was so much radical, it felt like a night and day thing. Having your friends Hook and Shot, while you and the damage dealer make a quick roll from the Monsters Tail flip would send shivers down your spine.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    I would recommend Phantasy Star Online 2 to everyone who enjoyed honham!
    very similar with the central hub, buffing with drinks, quest selection and goals.

I tend to favor monhan because of the loot you use for geat rather than the drop/buy gear in PSO2.
    but it's still awesome and something to keep you going until monhan drops on a proper console ;p

if you cant connect to the monhan mmo servers that is <_<
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    To be fair, Monster Hunter is terrible for Solo-Players, I still remember the PS2 version was an utter gutter for me, since I couldn't get anything fun out of it, all by myself.

I'm not sure I'd say 'terrible', just brutally brutally difficult. I've had just as much fun solo as with AdHoc, it's just incredibly tough (especially soloing later group quests).

There's still all the Elder quests for solo play though and I find them pretty fun. In fact because of how much of a faff it is to get PSP AdHoc party working compared to most multiplayer games, I just end up playing solo most of the time anyways.
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    God Stupid Capcom, realese on a system like the Vita or a console. I never understand capcom when they say that the US is not ready for a game like Monster Hunter. They wondered why monster hunter 3 never sold on the wii it was because its a casual market. They think its the fault of the people and not the console. If they realeased these games on console or pc I think they would be racking in the sales. I loved the game on PSP, I had over 2000 hours on the game! They have no good people for marketing in the US! I still wonder why they would ever realese on the 3ds, the controls are just not good enough for a game like Monster Hunter where the slightest error can screw you. It would work so well on the Vita with the two sticks. These games are just so awesome and the diffuculty is so refreshing in a game market with so many easy games. Its wierd how the game doesnt get boring even though you can fight the monster 30 times for 30 minutes each to learn everything about it. These games would be awesome if capcom can just get it's marketing together.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    when will Capcom give us a Monster Hunter on our PS3s....
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    ErichWK wrote: »
    when will Capcom give US a Monster Hunter

Fixed.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I played the Dragon's Dogma demo and was let down by the combat - it didn't really hold a candle to Monster Hunter, it felt really crazy and unfocused.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ErichWK wrote: »
    when will Capcom give us a Monster Hunter on our PS3s....

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Capcom-Monster-Hunter-Portable-Playstation-3/dp/B005F15NJW"]Amazon.com: Capcom Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. for PS3 [Region Free Japan Import]: Video Games[/ame]

Picked this up a while ago, it is gorgeous. Doesn't help that I don't know any Japanese, but can piece stuff together knowing the franchise. dual sticks is win! Haven't been able to play online tho :(

Seeing the video does not make me want to buy a 3ds like MH3 made me want a Wii (why i bought one). I love monster hunter, but doesn't seem like something i'd jump on if there ever is a US release (doubtful).
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I would recommend Phantasy Star Online 2 to everyone who enjoyed honham!
    very similar with the central hub, buffing with drinks, quest selection and goals.

I tend to favor monhan because of the loot you use for geat rather than the drop/buy gear in PSO2.
    but it's still awesome and something to keep you going until monhan drops on a proper console ;p

if you cant connect to the monhan mmo servers that is <_<

While PSO2 is definately tons of fun, it really is a game with a different focus. The bosses in it are a lot easier then the ones in Monster Hunter. I really do hope that MH4 comes out over here in the states though.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Stoked! One thing that im kinda scared about is the jumping / leaping attacks and fighting on the cliff faces. Been playing this franchise since the online days of the original ps2 monster hunter and was fighting lao shang lung with my online buddies when they shut the servers down...man... tears. So sad!!!

I hope they havent taken the fun outta my greatsword combat. Destroy the rest just leave my GS alone!! Radioactive color palette is kind of a departure from the norm too, that monkey looks interesting haha.

Still waiting for a ps3 monster hunter......
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Hazardous wrote: »
    just leave my GS alone!!

dont touch my LS! :o Hopefully they keep making it better or just leave it the fuck alone. The improvements from 2ndG to 3 to 3rd made that weapon a ton of fun to use, same with dual blades - so much more fun in P3rd.

Watching the trailer again, this looks like a huge visual quality degradation from MH3 on the 3ds - which looked a lot better than the Wii version. Textures & geo looks super low res, like they blew all of their budget just to get normal maps/bump maps on stuff :(

WHERE IS THE VITA MONHUN! and US ver!! /cry
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    All this running and jumping looks cool... then I realise that probably going to really hamper my Lance playstyle.

Interested to see how they evolve the combat into this new dexterous gameplay, I hope they make a wii U version or a vita version, but I knew there was a real reason why I bought my 3ds day 1!!!

But now I want the 3dsxl to play this on :(
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywPyO5fMqs&quot;][/ame]
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    moose wrote: »
    dont touch my LS! :o Hopefully they keep making it better or just leave it the fuck alone. The improvements from 2ndG to 3 to 3rd made that weapon a ton of fun to use, same with dual blades - so much more fun in P3rd.

Yeah man, actually I do have a soft spot for LS!! and one is slowly growing for heavy bowgun and gunlance. I love setting up turret style and laying waste to some massive dragon face with my pew pews while hes running straight towards me. Or using wyvern fire of a powerful gunlance for that super-charge up-one-hit-mega-meaty-shotgun blast of epicness to the face. SO satisfying to get it timed just right, definitely one of those... 'fuckkkk did you see that!!??' moments.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywPyO5fMqs&quot;]Monster Hunter 4 - New EPIC GORGEOUS Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Watching it at a smaller res looks better...I think watching nearly any trailer blown up to monitor size from graphics on a 3ds is going to make us puke - 400 x 240 -> 1920 x 1080!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, i made myself watch it again on FB, where it shrinks the video down for ya in the news feed. I'm holding judgement, its Monster Hunter, and if it comes to the US then yeah I'll get it and play the shit out of it :) the 3DS version of 3 is pretty cool.

that new creature is pretty awesome looking. red monkey bat... GO!

and haha, know what you mean about the gunlance, i always do the "super mario controller jump" movement with my psp when im charging it - hoping that somehow me moving my hands back and thrusting them forward helps time it. When it does it's sweet :) Also, perfectly timed switchaxe barrel blasting something in the face has a similar feeling :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Call me when we get a real HD PS3 Monster Hunter. I've only played 1 and Tri because of their decision to make it a portable series.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Where did the monster hunter fan thread go? i searched and searched and could not find it hahhaa

anyways... opening video of MH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9de7mRhXWk&feature=youtu.be

I wish armor was in bit and pieces like that. They look so epic.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    All i can say is online multiplayer. I CAN FINALLY HUNT WITH FRIENDS! I'm a switch axe kind of guy so you know what to expect! ;)
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The last thread was published by a user who asked for his account to be deleted, taking a lot good threads and all the discussions with it.

Worst of all he had like a single post in the MH thread with just like "hey guys look at this and discus".

An oh my that intro is pretty!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why would he do that....Either way! MH4MH4MH4MH4MH4MH4

61880-George-Michael-its-happening-i-dNrF.gif
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no idea what they are saying o_O

also.. spoilers lol

http://youtu.be/vLLn3id_nT0
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are the odds Capcom ports this to another console? Ala Resident Evil Revelations?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who knows.... it would be nice if this was on the vita tho... and i still have my hopes this will come to WiiU once it hits this side of the world.

honestly i think the game looks pretty low res....
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I can't bring myself to get excited about MH4. I hate typing that too, i love Monster Hunter.

It feels like its visually half-way trying to be "next gen" and because of that losing half, if not more of the original mystique of all diffuse texturing due to low res, gunky textures, harsh lighting, and very harsh smoothing groups/seams on meshes.

The new Online version using Cryengine looks rad, but MH4 feels like a ton of color, texture, and tech features were crammed in without the finesse and subtlety of previous games.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Early 2015 is a bit of a wait but, to be honest I still have tons to to in MH3U on my 3DS and am happy to have another year to do so.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    ...really was hoping the announcement was for a Wii U version, or...for anything other than the 3DS, but I guess I don't know what I'm expecting by this point. I feel like I've said that same thing before.

Picked up a Wii U in the past, almost singularly because of MH3U, and because I just could not get into the 3DS version. Super crappy touch screen camera, didn't look so hot, etc.

...MH4 Super Ultimate...for Wii U? Plz?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Two Listen wrote: »
    ...really was hoping the announcement was for a Wii U version, or...for anything other than the 3DS, but I guess I don't know what I'm expecting by this point. I feel like I've said that same thing before.

Picked up a Wii U in the past, almost singularly because of MH3U, and because I just could not get into the 3DS version. Super crappy touch screen camera, didn't look so hot, etc.

...MH4 Super Ultimate...for Wii U? Plz?

+1, got a Wii U pretty much just for this game, not to mention the Mario/Donkey Kong titles. MH3U is awesome, played loads and not even a quarter through it yet :D
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Seeing this makes me sad. Switching over to only Nintendo based systems was probably the worst thing to happen to the franchise.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    Seeing this makes me sad. Switching over to only Nintendo based systems was probably the worst thing to happen to the franchise.

It restored faith in capcom to continue to make western versions. Otherwise the west would have been sacked off and MH be jpn region only.

2015 - Perfect timing for me to get console with the game ;D
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    chiniara wrote: »
    Why would they stay on sony platforms if the sales are so bad? Nobody has a PSVITA and 3DS is THE portable this gen.

They want money and i am happy that they choose Nintendo.

Something tells me something went bad between the franchise & Sony; I think it has very little to do with the Vita's sales or popularity. It is the superior handheld, more capable, dual analogs, etc. Hell, I know of several people who purchased a vita just to play MHFU with two sticks, and it makes a hell of a difference. If they made one for the Vita, it would sell.

No way it was a simple sales decision. "We're going to go with the system that forces us to make worse games and jumps away from the audience we established over the past several years." What? Really? There was an established PSP audience, a newer - much better suited handheld coming with the Vita, and they just decided for sales to jump over to the folding Mario machine? ...yeah, I don't buy it.

I even own a 3DS, and instead of picking up MH3U for that system, I decided to buy a Wii U. It sucked THAT much on the 3DS. The 3DS is for Pokemon, things like Animal Crossing, Bravely Default, etc. MH just...is not a good fit with the system.

Edit: Now, I was expecting MH4 for the 3DS for us Westerners. What I was hoping was to just get MH4 for the 3DS, and then get MH4U - with the upgrades it surely deserves, for the Wii U. Bummer.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    chiniara wrote: »
    Why would they stay on sony platforms if the sales are so bad? Nobody has a PSVITA and 3DS is THE portable this gen.

They want money and i am happy that they choose Nintendo.

It was bad for the fans, not necessarily Capcom. Monster Hunter got its success on the playstation platforms, even the PC platform which they have as a sort of MMORPG over there.

Capcom jumped on the nintendo wii bandwaggon when they thought thats where the market was going...sure nintendo sold a ton of wii consoles, but that doesnt make the games good on them. Capcom seemed to just go after the numbers rather than understand the playerbase in my opinion. There's not much of a future for something like monster hunter when its on a platform that refuses to compete technologically with the rest of the gaming industry, or a platform that primarily targets small children.

God forbid any publisher ...you know.. multiplatform their franchises. Thats just my bias though as a fan of its playstation origins. With the technical demands and direction a game like MH can push towards, seeing it on such a weak system with a more child prone playerbase is more than disappointing in my opinion.

Its pretty much in the same category as Dark Souls, both in mechanics and challenge type. Imagine if Dark Souls went on a 3ds? It wouldnt be doing the franchise any favors, nor the artist working on them.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll wait for the wiiU release. No interest in getting a 3ds.
  • glottis8