Home Technical Talk

Maya 2013 Copying UVs

tweekedgirl
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
tweekedgirl polycounter lvl 4
Hiya there, I've been using Max for two years but I'm currently trying to teach myself Maya, and I'm having a little trouble getting to grips with unwrapping.

In Max, if you had a model which had two areas that were exactly the same, you could map out one part and literally copy those UVs and then paste the UVs onto the identical area, but I'm really struggling to do this in Maya. I've seen lots of people asking about transferring UVs to an identical model, but can it be done on the same object?

unwrap_help.jpg

I've unwrapped the area highlighted in red, and above is the unwrap. I simply want to copy these to the other side without having to unwrap the same thing again and lay the UVs on top of each other.

Any help is appreciated because I can see myself running back to Max for unwrapping if this can't be done!

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    delete 2nd part, copy geo over, and weld and merge it back in?
  • tweekedgirl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, that does work, but it seems a very round a bout way of doing something that can be done in two clicks in Max?

If for example I had a much more intricate model, having to go and delete all my geometry and then go and weld each piece back into place would take up a lot of time, and so that wouldn't really be feasible.

Is it possible to achieve what I'm asking in Maya?
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    You wouldn't have to weld every vertex manually. You would say select the faces of what your going to copy, duplicate faces (its an option under edit mesh) and then hold d and snap the pivot point to a vertex of the duplicated faces, go over to the area you are copying it to and snap the duplicated mesh to this area with middle mouse holding v over the vertex. Then select all vertices that would need to be merged and edit mesh > merge. Provided it all lined up correctly thats all you need to do.

That max feature does sound awesome though, we do have some transfer UV tools that can transfer based on component, uv, world and local spaces as well as topology. Its not always perfect though even if it looks like its correct in the uv editor. I've no idea how you'd go about such functionality within the same mesh though, if they were seperate pieces you could transfer without too much difficulty, or swap for an unwrapped version as mentioned above.
  • tweekedgirl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thank you :)

I'll have to take this into consideration next time I'm modelling something. Am I right to assume that if I model a part as a separate object, then unwrap and duplicate it as necessary, when I combine to a single mesh the UV's will still stay the same?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Okay thank you :)

I'll have to take this into consideration next time I'm modeling something. Am I right to assume that if I model a part as a separate object, then unwrap and duplicate it as necessary, when I combine to a single mesh the UV's will still stay the same?

yes that is correct.

very few people combine meshes in maya till they need too, in the maya UV editor, you can view/edit uv's for all selected objects.

one of hte reasons why max more or less needs that feature, is max's poor handling of UV'ing multiple objects at once.

and for welding it all back togeather, why would you do it vert by vert, you can selected the overlapping verts, or the whole obejct, and just do a weld with a low threshold.