Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Metal Gear Solid Port Environment

noisecheck
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
noisecheck polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys, this is my first post on here and I was hoping for some good feedback on the Metal Gear Solid Port environment I am working on at the moment.

Tried to keep all assets as close to the game as possible, and making changes where I thought would help, I used both the original playstation version and the gamecube twin snakes version of the port for help in this as they slightly different.

tumblr_m46ajmE5kz1qitywyo1_1280.jpg

This is currently rendered in mental ray using maya 2012, but I will be taking it into udk once I am finished but I still feel as if more needs to be added.

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice! i think your lighting could be greatly improved. But i am sure you can get a more accurate representation through UDK than iterating in Maya.

I would say that it feels a little blocky. This underground area should be worn out... the water adds fungus and stains, and corrodes. plus the cargo being loaded and unloaded cuz dents on where they hit and marks everywhere. Rust on the pipes from being in the water. Also... unless this water is somewhere with a current i don't see why it would be so busy. It would be nice to see a little bit under and add some gradients of greens. Your boxes on the top look plain white. They are really hard to read, so maybe add some shape to them and interest. Those smaller details tend to get lost. Then your fence looks a little blocky.

Its really going in the right direction tho. I hope this feedback helps you make this good progress into something awesome!
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    Hello
    i'm really happy to see some metal gear solid environement , i love that game so much .
    it looking for now but you should post more screenshot for it and some assestand work on the scale more because your
    environment now is too big .
    and change the colors and match it with metal gear solid 1 style . try to use on the
    colors : blue and some green to get the right mood of the environment

i hope this help :) and hope to see more about this soon
  • noisecheck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback! I was thinking that the textures need a lot of work - but I also heard that UDK has tools to paint on details like that to meshes - fungus and stains ect, would it be better for me to go about it that way or actually create them in photoshop, I will also adjust the colours more in udk.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK is the way man. You can do all kinds of neat stuff to make your textures interesting. Plus you learn a lot.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Looking cool, good choice of subject. Get it into the engine as soon as possible, it'll be much easier to determine what you need to work on and how to go about it there. If you're new to Unreal, the Eat3D Unreal Introduction DVDs are great and there's tons of stuff on YouTube.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    Your concrete texture is too bumpy. It looks like rough paper you would paint on a canvas.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah get this into udk.

I wouldn't be too worried about matching mgs1/twin snakes too much, you can update the scene a little bit to take it to the next level. Perhaps it would be cool to add more variation or damage to the concrete ledges, for instance.

There better be a ration under the water on the left there. :P
  • noisecheck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Imported this environment into UDK now, and added some new assets. My first attempt at UDK so im still getting used to things.

tumblr_m5zlz55MiE1qitywyo1_r1_1280.png

tumblr_m5zlwrGOYV1qitywyo1_r1_1280.png

tumblr_m5zltzezpb1qitywyo1_r1_1280.png

also made a cutscene video here http://youtu.be/CoW1qyHduaY?hd=1
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    i really like it but the whole screen tilting and changing thing is absolutely killing my eyes, i wanted to appreciate the art and everything but i couldnt really focus on it because the screen was tilting all over
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    In general it feels like the scale of the scene is off, but maybe I'm wrong. It was a while ago I played Metal Gear Solid 1. ^^
  • Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    i like it but i think chrisradsby might be right, if a barrel is maybe just above waist height then that would mean that the two cargo containers stacked up would be just taller than a human and should be bigger unless thats what you are going for? Maybe put in some moss, fungus, bit of green etc. to give impression of mould.

Apart from that it looks wicked!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah the scale is definitely off. The character is only 1/8th of the size of a locker!
  • noisecheck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou for the feedback

Yeah some of the sizes of the assets are a bit off, I was thinking that myself

Im going to look into vertex painting next for the fungus and stuff

and the character on top of the locker is meant to be action figure size not a proper human character lol.

just noticed the screentilting thing, youtube done that to the video for some reason - its not in the original file, should be fixed now on here https://vimeo.com/44806910
  • wolfonthehorizon
    loved this game !!!! im sure at one point this was covered in ice but i cant remember if that was number 1 or number 4 when you went back to it ???

either way looking ace im not an environment guy at all so i cant help you on the technicalities

cant wait to see this finished bro XD
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno man... i like what you are trying to do, but i think you are still a little off on the dimensions of the scene, and some of your materials.

I took some pics directly from the game. You can see more on the materials in the env, the kind of textures and mainly the spacing and depth. Your env seems really compact.

wD30v.jpg
    xbk5F.jpg
    wwG9S.jpg
    RXpjr.jpg
    nLbCC.jpg
    nhXn7.jpg
  • noisecheck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback and thanks for the screenshots - I've been using the Twin Snakes version of this level as more of a guideline as I found the original PS1 version of the game everything was a lot more flat due to the poly count of the original game.

made a few updates on the scene now though, rescaled the size of the level and the assets in it.

tumblr_m6qyuuXo5p1qitywyo1_1280.png

tumblr_m6qys5VnxQ1qitywyo1_1280.pngtumblr_m6qyvzT1Uv1qitywyo1_1280.png
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Don't want to sound too nit picky but the fox hound logo would not be on those boxes.

As other have said it does feel a bit cramped at the moment, last the locker material looks a bit off. Just a bit too much scratched metal texture.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm... the screengrabs were for you to see some of the space shape and layout. For example, i don't think i see in your env that vault ceiling, you have it flat, when in the game it was a half cylinder shape that ends in a tunnel that goes up with the elevator.

Then... some of the metal structures that run on the wall are there for support. Plus it holds a lot of the metal fixtures that run on the ceiling. Apart from the beams running all the way to the top of the environment as well.

That railing on the side should be a lot shorter. In the game, Snake is almost as tall as one of the big crates. Usually a railing goes 3/4 down your arm for rest a safety. So that is why the railings make your env look a little crammed.

The objects on the side after the steps where you have to duck under, i still have no idea what they are. If you have some smoke coming out of there, i am assuming you have some idea of what they are for. Which also leads me to believe that there would be more intricate workings, or at least pipes that go into the metal casing.

The elevator still doesn't quite fit a cargo sliding door. I put some reference there for you. If you don't like the flatness of it, then google some reference and put some detail into it. Right now it just looks place holderish.

You are also missing some drain pipes on the side of walls.

When you work on anything you build from your silhouette (big shapes) and work your way down adding detail. Until you don't have the layout of the scene right even if you add a lot of props the environment will still not look very cohesive. I would suggest making sure the aspect ratio you are using mocks the MGS env, place some characters around and make sure that everything has good dimensions and when that is done, start adding art all over the place. I can guarantee that your work will look even more stunning.

I like what you have done with the scene, and i look forward to some more work on the thread. Keep up the good work!
  • noisecheck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never posted the updates on here so heres the progress I made

tumblr_m77x6ykxAC1qitywyo1_r2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m77x5dRaiM1qitywyo1_r2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m77x48N36j1qitywyo1_r2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m77wkeoP2n1qitywyo1_r4_1280.jpg

tumblr_m77wbn5uL01qitywyo1_r3_1280.jpg

any feedback would be much appreciated!

also made an updated cutscene for this environment here
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7AlKCX0ZRY&feature=plcp"]UDK - Metal Gear Solid The Dock (Update 6) - YouTube[/ame]
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what you have so far. I understand you want to get as close as you can to the original. But the original is like 10+ years ago. If I were you, I would add a few more things. The wall is too plain to me. I would add wires, switches, sign or some kind of control boxes. I would add a different texture for the containers(different color or add a logo). Adding hanging wires on the ceiling would be nice too.