Home Technical Talk

ZBRUSH 4r3 dynamesh "boolean"???

Hi guys!
I'm wondering how I can use a mesh or a part of it to cut other mesh,like the insert tool in zsub mode?
I've seen something like that in the pixolator's new video: he copy the entire mesh and use it to cut shapes into the wings of the character.
thanks a lot

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    The zclassroom will explain all. :)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    hold Ctrl while you are adding that object, and when you hold ctrl+square to dynamesh it will do the subtract effect.
  • joh84n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks bugo but isn't that way..
    this is the video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jCzfhKbhg"]Time for Art #4 - YouTube[/ame] (by pixolator)
    please see at min 1:20 to 1:23...
    he use the transpose but the problems are two for me:
    -how to cut the mesh in that way;
    -how can I return to draw mode to the original mesh after I'have used transpose to the second one?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    That's a good question, on the video I think he cloned the subtool and used boolean intersection, he didn't drop to the canvas tho. I might be wrong tho.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    how can I return to draw mode to the original mesh after I'have used transpose to the second one?

It's not a new subtool, so there's no need to switch back.

The video was made prior to the release of R2, and highlights new features of R2. In this case, aside from Dynamesh, it's showing off one of the new enhancements to Transpose: Duplication.

As long as the mesh has no subdivision levels (like this dynamesh doesn't), then holding Ctrl and dragging on the middle white transpose circle will duplicate the geo, masking everything off automatically so you're free to move the new copy around. It's still the same subtool though, so if you want to edit the original geo, just switch back to draw mode and unmask it.

As for this boolean trick, it's another similar feature. The only difference is you hold Alt+Ctrl when clicking on the middle circle, which causes the new geo to be tagged as a negative volume.

For further clarification, this is covered in page 36 ('Duplicating a Mesh with Transpose') and 37 ('Duplication and Negative Mesh') of the manual that came with R2.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry for the necro-thread, but his doesn't seem to be working for me in 4R6. Additive mesh duplication works as before (ctrl+Move Tool), but negative mesh duplication (ctrl+alt+Move Tool) results in an additive mesh. Same thing with the Add and Sub buttons in Dynamesh. I know, I could do this through subtools and through Insert Mesh, but I really like the immediacy of being able to quickly clone either an additive or negative mesh. Any ideas?

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/modeling-basics/transpose/

EDIT: Aggghhh, forgot to turn on Groups in Dynamesh. Working now.