Home Technical Talk

Punching up level of character detail during design process

badzee28
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
badzee28 polycounter lvl 6
I think at the point I am at, I'm starting to really get a feel for creating decent characters. However, I always find myself struggling during the design process to really punch out unique, interesting concepts. I'm not a horrible artist per se, but I always find myself frustrated because I can never translate the ideas in my mind on paper. I also tend to do a lot of armored/ fantasy characters, and I find it really difficult to find reference outside of reality. I've noticed a lot of the armors in video games tend to be incredibly detailed and stylized; while I can do "realistic" armor fairly easily, sometimes I have a difficult time concepting believable fantasy armor that seems interesting. Heck, even in games where they attempt to make armor that is semi realistic, it tends to be way more interesting to look at than the contemporary stuff. If there's anyone on here that works on a lot of fantasy/mmo stuff, would you mind sharing your design process?

Replies

• Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Are you trying to be a character concept artist? If you want to be a 3d character artist, dont waste time making concepts. Get other people's concepts and make them into 3d characters. You shouldn't spend too much time dwindling on things you aren't as good at or are not trying to get a job in.

Practice drawing though.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    I think you will benefit from drawing lessons (classical and 3d techniques) :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    This may not be the best advice, but I know I am not a good 2D traditional/Character concept artist. With time and a TON of practice, (more than others, I don't have it naturally, and I have accepted this), I might get to a professional level. But with where I am at right now, I really enjoy working on environments. I had a day a couple of years ago where things just kinda hit rock bottom. I sat there and thought about where I want to go with my career. I realized I REALLY enjoy architecture, and I know if I wasn't going into digital game art, I would have definitely loved to pursue a career in architecture or something of the sort. So I translated this love to buildings, nature, life, environments, etc. into my art. I have always felt, why spend time spreading out over multiple disciplines when you can spend time on something a little more centralized and something you love, and get REALLY good at it with time, instead of decently good at everything. I know this might have strayed a little bit from OP, but thought I would share. If you are set on getting into concepting or just 2D in general, then I would seriously look into traditional drawing classes, as well as anatomy/gesture/life drawing. When you can master line work and pencil drawing, look into traditional painting. Some artists can just skip the whole traditional route and go straight to a pen and tablet or a Cintiq, but a great artist, is an artist that can express their work across any medium available. And that means keeping a good understanding of both digital and traditional skills, like painting in your free time with acrylics or oils, and keeping up regular sketchbooks and sketching with pen and pencil on a daily basis, like on your lunch breaks, after dinner, and and bed before you lay to sleep. Good artists practice their craft, great artists live their craft.

On a side note, this thread might be in the wrong section. If it is, I am sure a mod will move it for you
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    I will suggest this guy's channel on youtube:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnflBERf2zM&list=UUbdyjrrJAjDIACjCsjAGFAA&index=5&feature=plcp"]EPISODE 52 - Visual Library - YouTube[/ame]

I have learnt a lot from his videos and I have improved on the 2d side of things.I think it has to do with one's visual library.If it is vast and filled with a lot of knowledge especially from what u have seen and memorised over the years,u will be able to come up with brillant ideas especially fantasy based.Think of it,say a character with a spider like looking armour that shields its wearer with thick spider webs...it just comes to u naturally.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    if you want to decorate things take a look at stuff that got decorated and steal ideas. churches and temples etc. are covered in pointless decoration, so is expensive old furniture.

think outside the box a bit and you'll find plenty to draw from
  • badzee28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    badzee28 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback. It seems like every character I make is better than the last one. I just sometimes get a bit discouraged by some of the insane details I see people coming up with. Sometimes it's so hard to be original, you know? It so common to see characters covered in skulls or dragons, or anything else for that matter that sometimes fresh innovation is tough. But I'll keep working at, as I seem to always be improving with every character I make. I just wish drawing wasn't like pulling teeth :D. It's funny, I used to love it when I was a kid and I'd be doodling in a notebook. Once you get through school though and suddenly your work is being judged and compared, it's not so much fun as it used to be. I'll keep working at it though, as drawing tends to help a lot with character modeling and attention to detail. I just wish it were more relaxing; there's no undo button with a pencil and paper :D
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    I have the opposite problem, I have no problem expressing my ideas becasue Ive been drawing for years and am well studyed in it. However I still yet to learn the programs. So i guess if it is practical, learn and study 2d.