Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Recent graduate portfolio - Environment Artist

Hi everyone!

I am a recent graduate from the Art Institute of California-San Diego, and this is my portfolio thread. I graduated 3 months ago, and this is the body of my work so far. I don't know why I haven't posted more of my work on here before, but here it is:

www.raymondo3d.com

Any feedback is welcomed, and please don't hold back with your critiques! Looking to improve my skills as an environment artist in any way possible!

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I think you have done well, better than most graduate portfolios I have seen :)
    I think the old phone could use some more polies considering that you used a 1k texture for it, a bit to high I would say.

I also think The Ancestral Tomb and the crash site could use some work on the lighting, seams to lack depth and grounding, like the crash site I think could benefit from being darker and having the glowing "flowers" contribute to the lighting.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Replace the "Home Page" with the "Projects" page so al your art is right up front.

Rename "Projects" to "Portfolio"

Be sure all images are clickable links to the full size versions. I noticed all the images are scaled into a format size, but could be dragged into a new window for full size.

I don't understand why he breakdowns of The Ancestral Tomb are a rock and this http://www.raymondo3d.com/images/25c95c82a33a21fc95b1a91a6d8a5431.jpg which don't look that great, while the Hero piece (the boat) is ignored.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Ditto the changes that cholden suggests with the page renaming.

Also the super light bg is a bit much. Tone back that value some.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    cholden wrote: »
    Rename "Projects" to "Portfolio"

That, and there are a few images towards the end which don't look too great and really don't need to be in there, namely the final two. Also needs to be 'sorted' so to speak. You call yourself an environment artist but as I scroll down I'm seeing a little futuristic medpack, and a sword BEFORE I get to the way-cool crash site environment. That lovely thing needs to be up-front!
  • moondog760
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits everyone! I am definitely making note of them. I will give the phone more polys as that has been bugging me for a while too!

I feel the Ancestral Tomb is my weakest piece and definitely needs a better breakdown. The reason I didn't feature the boat is because it needs a little more work. I have considered scrapping that scene altogether. But I like the overall feel and layout so I think I will just put some more work into it.

I'm also working on the page renaming and layout of my site. In an interview someone told me to just have all my projects on one page, so perhaps I should just have environments up top, then keep props on the bottom?
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    My advice: use thumbnails. And also move those "Projects" etc links at the top below your name and much bigger. At first I'm like ok he posted 1 picture on his page.
  • |MM|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This ain't bad at all.
  • moondog760
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I have updated my website. Slightly new layout, pages have been renamed, certain undesirable images have been deleted, and the images are now all clickable links to the high-res version. Now I just need to decide whether I want to put more work into the Ancestral Tomb scene or move on to a new environment scene.

www.raymondo3d.com
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good! I would definitely get rid of that #FFFFFF background. It is blinding, and as a side effect, it's really making your colors look blown out. Definitely go for a grey to make your work pop a bit more.

For your next environment, I would give the the advice to start focusing on less saturation in your textures and instead, getting color from your lighting and letting your scene tell the story with colors and light.

There are lots of possiblities for how the jungle scene could be re-lit. Some flames, or some in moon light, or lamps or candles. Essentially what I'm saying is try to tell a bit more of a story. You already have a good one, but you can definitely push it a bit more.
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    The jungle scene is great! For the other 2 scenes I would add more detail props like plants, debris, objects, etc. But don't over do it! Maybe some more light and light sources too.