Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cimmeria [UDK Ios]

Hi Polycount !
After years of lurking, now I think I'm ready to post my first real job.
About myself, in few words, I'm a CG student and I just completed my 3rd year at HEAJ ( now called ESIAJ). The environment I want to share with you is inspired from Half-life², Rage, Bioshock, and more, and was optimized for an Ipad2. But just for the eye, I took high res screen with the Ios previewer.

5b5d96c961c9c78478d9999d98a2b.jpg

3cf99e5546b0c85d46a4599dd0f04.jpg

ca96094837caaf3ab038688a0d6fe.jpg

b70cd6d8296623fd16a0fd59b6b4e.jpg

86b38c2c8ebc141d34535342f6f85.jpg

To complete my post, a sample of the tillable textures made...

939a6a70c74b7049c906061fb1a5c.jpg

384ca17635dd7b10279f51eb9fd79.jpg

a833611d31950044fc29752c5ddad.jpg

a48d0dd2f5ab1d1a9eafb92712dc8.jpg

99be3f4be971ad471c87df815d3e5.jpg

And to finish, a little composition made from inused asset (rendered on PC this time.)

4bdeb96001f36abcacf723c28216d.jpg

If you enjoyed my work, you can visit my new portfolio : geoffreyrosin.com
Any critics, suggestions are welcome =) Thanks for your attemption !

Replies

• Sensorium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the last screenshot you can clearly see bioshock there... My main crit is about the ground textures especially in the 5th screenshot ... it looks really unloving. except of that and some smaller flaws it looks good .. still surprised what todays smartphones can handle :) what texture sizes do you use in the game for walls and grounds ?
  • hoenheim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are absolutly right =) It was a test about the Lightmap modification feature. I tried to add so dirt at this place, but with the Ipad screen it was so subtle to see it so I decided to let it here. For the texture size I use, I put directly all my 1024 into the engine, because of the PVRTC compression wich gave a final resolution of 512 and it works like a charm =)
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    This is a really cool looking environment. My biggest concern though is that it was built using UDK Mobile and it has alot of potential to be unoptimized.

If you where just wanting a environment to showcase visually, i think its great, but since you said its optimized for A5 only (iPad2, iPhone 4s) it makes me think the FPS is really bad on the 4G stuff (which is the #1 target platform for developers).

I've worked with UE3 Mobile for the past 1 1/2 years and i can tell you right now its a nightmare to build optimized environments. Its a completely different workflow than working with regular UDK (or any other next gen engine)

Im curios to see what your grouping and texture count look like (aka draw calls) and are you using PCV?

TBH saying it runs good on a iPad 2 isnt much of an accomplishment. In our game we can have a fully unoptimized environment with 50 high poly creatures running around (and dynamic lighting, ect) with a solid frame rate. And thats without Pre Computed Visibility as well.

Looks great though, just the big question when posting mobile stuff is- is it optimized? The fact you are using tilable textures in the tradional sense raises alarms for me. Tilables on mobile are a big no- no. And there are alot of reasons for that. An entire level shouldnt have more than 3-4 textures. For this environment you could easly have done it with 1-2 textures and very few static mesh draw calls. I dont see any reason why this couldnt be running 40fps + on a iPhone 4G.

Also, did you use normal maps in this environment? The textures look a little flat. You can bake normal lighting information into the lightmaps on UDK Mobile, giving the illusion of bump mapping with no runtime memory cost, and yeah using lightmap modifcation maps generally give you bad results unless you have a massive lightmap resolution size.
  • hoenheim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi scott !
    You have to know that it's just a student job given on a target platform^^'. I manage to never reach more than 45 drawcall and 45K tris per room and it permit me to stay above the 60 Fps, using gama correction and no PCV (just a cull distance volume) , so I think I can say my work is optimized. Maybe not for Ipad1 (I don't have one to test), but for Ipad2 and it runs. As an exemple, I can show you a sample of my "grouping".

cd7f8dabd461238cb59b30eb8825d.jpg

And it use this texture :

f4b69db8fd5428251e2f4a834a326.jpg

I have an other example :
    This bit is composed of 2 objets ; The vents and the metal walk. And they use the same texture.
    4eec64d5aa2f3197c59a4f3975c2a.jpg

7a4c45e58de229d646e74895714bd.jpg

About my generic textures, I only use them for my "main" base. I have so a big mesh (2000 tris generally) wich use 4-5 generic textures. Yeah, maybe it's 4-5 drawcall, but it's a lot easier to work with and that's the only case where I did that.

About the normal map, it was just impossible in my case because of the kind of texture I used (they are really flat ). I manage to never used more than 1024 Lightmaps because I had a lot of meshs in my level and it just permits me to use sometime Lightmap modification.

Did I answer to all of your interogations ?
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i understand its just a student project, and i think it looks visually great.. If that was your goal, you have def. suceeded!

My only concern was the optimization factor. If you where looking to get a job doing mobile games or such, constructing your environment this way might not be effecient. Having more than 2 material IDs per object is not going to be good. Also, all of these textures you have, you can combine into one atlas. For tilable textures, you can merge all into 1 sheet and tile them via geometry. Polycount is actually not the bottleneck for mobile, it is Draw Calls. The Mobile Devices can handle a surprisingly large number of polygons, but if they recieve more than 20-25 draw calls on screen, they choke. Thus the goal becomes to reduce texture count and mesh count as much as possible. Even if it means increasing your polycount and reducing your texture resolution (by merging textures).

Let me show you an example of a map i completed for a UE3 Mobile game to give you an idea of what i mean..

40fps.jpg

You will note here everything in this scene is on 1 texture, including the buildings in the distance. And all together the meshes in this screenshot come out to 4. So this entire scene is 8-10 draw calls when the player is running through. I get 40-50 fps on a iPhone 4G here because of this. Of course, it is also designed in such a way that as you run through, the entire parking lot + shopping center mesh do not render untill you are about to enter that area, making PCV and max draw distance w/ lods very important. But with a room like yours, you could have combined all textures (including tilables) into 1 or 2 texture atlas's and combined meshes for a very optimized scene. Yes your texture resolution will suffer as will your lightmap shadow quality, but its really not a bad as it sounds and of course, it runs very smoothly on all devices, which when making levels for an actual game is the number one priority.
  • hoenheim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouch ! I see what you mean now. If I make a new job for Mobile, I'll take more care of drawcall.
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hoenheim wrote: »
    Ouch ! I see what you mean now. If I make a new job for Mobile, I'll take more care of drawcall.

Its all good bro, you did a really good job with your scene, but if you want great optimization, you have to think in `extremes` with mobile. I cant wait untill iPhone 4G is obselete and no one uses it anymore (like 1G, 2G, or even 3G) than all this optimization stuff will be a thing of the past. Give it 2-3 more years and everything i just said will be useless :)
  • hoenheim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question for you ; You talked about Dynamic lighting, but into the "free" version of UDK, I eard that you cannot use them and when I tried on Ipad, it didn't work. It is a feature only"computable" until you have access to the source code ?
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hoenheim wrote: »
    I have a question for you ; You talked about Dynamic lighting, but into the "free" version of UDK, I eard that you cannot use them and when I tried on Ipad, it didn't work. It is a feature only"computable" until you have access to the source code ?

You should be able to use Dominant lights in UDK mobile for lightshafts and stuff. If that is what you mean? Dynamic movable lights arent supported in mobile though, i dont think.
  • hoenheim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I lost 30 Fps when I tried to use Lightshaft :) I was talking about movable dynamic lighting but I thought that you succed to use one.