Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Sewer Scene

Hey everyone it has been awhile since I posted anything on polycount since my Chinatown project http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95566

Here is a new Hand-Painted scene I have started in the past 4 weeks. It's getting close to completion but I would really like some feedback so that I can make this a great portfolio piece.
Be brutal I really want this to look amazing
Thanks in advance!

The original concept is by Ben Proctor http://www.benprocter.com/
concept.jpg

This Is how far I have gotten in the past 4 weeks including some prop and texture sheets as well:
overgrownfinal.jpghighpoly1.jpgHighpoly1+Textures.jpgHighpoly2.jpgHighpoly2+Textures.jpgsmallprops.jpgsmallpropstexture.jpgfoliage.jpgPlants1.jpgdeadleavestexture.jpgBushtexture.jpgivytexture.jpgroots+texture.jpgcement.jpgCementtextures.jpg

Replies

• karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karatekodden polycounter lvl 7
    I must say I like the overall composition. Not really sure about that concrete texture. Make the scene look a bit noisy imo. I would also try to push the lighting a little bit more as in the concept, with some really highlighted areas. Right know the lighting looks a little bit flat. I also like the red wires to the left in the concept which helps composition and helps the perspective of the corridor. Maybe try something like that. Keep up the good work! Cheers
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    The old timey barrel/crate/lamp seems out of place with the rest of the assets, every thing has kinda of a futuristic flair to them.

The plants look great and the lighting/post looks good too.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This scene is good! A couple of things though the concrete looks really blurry and out of scale. *Edit* Beaten to the punch here :P Also I don't think the wooden stuff fits? The whole scene looks quite modern but the wooden stuff looks a fantasy?

It looks good though!
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits so far everyone. I agree with the cement texture I actually lost the photoshop file so I will be remaking and repainting the whole texture. As far as the crates and barrels I have 3 weeks off to really polish this scene what would be good to take there place maybe metal crates or some sort of tunnel surveying system? any ideas?
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    The foliage and the overall direction you're taking the concept is pretty neat.

I feel as though you have simplified the environment compared to the concept, as the concept has a lot of panelling and intricate details which look really cool, for example the details on the sewer attachment and ridges on the pipes, the panels in the textures which really give it form, which yours is lacking.

There is also a lot of colour and contrast in the lighting and textures which yours is doesn't have at the moment.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, i love how you put your own flavor to the scene, gives it alot of life!
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks again guys I think that I will see what the orange wires will do to the scene and repost in a few days as far as the lighting I will most likely move the dominant directional light to try and get some contrast on some of the props
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    If you've got the time, how about adding a mildly futuristic shopping cart? Also some other junk that's pretty common but not as clich
  • TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great. Love the composition of the piece!
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the references
    I think a shopping cart could be really cool I was also thinking graffiti and a sign showing that people travel through the sewer maybe the tool they used to pry the grate open.

The main thing that I want to preserve in this project is showing that people travel through the sewers and possibly live there.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    well damn. thats always been one of my favorite environment concepts. very cool to see it done differently.

great job!
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    bravo sir, bravo
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    If people live there, try making some floors and piers and such, built from crates, barrels, other assorted junk in the water as pillars, and then pallets and plywood and cartboard on top. (make sure there's still some water flow possible in between the 'pillars')
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    George9 wrote: »
    bumb ubm!www.cleaningcassette.com

Badump bump? o.O

Sir George the spammer, you are kindly being reported to the staff of the Polycount.
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks I really like the idea for the walkways I think I will begin working on that! I will have a paintover soon
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I actually did this exact concept two years ago for my portfolio. I went cleaner and more "Borderlands-y" unlike you. I like your direction, it's very distinct from the concept by adding a lot of vegetation and misc. props to fill out the scene. It kind of has a Naughty Dog feel to it.

That being said, from what I'm seeing you have some uneven texel density, especially on the concrete that was already pointed out. Hope your new one helps.

Is this in an engine or Maya/Max? Can't tell.
  • jk_virginia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes I actually lost my first scene with all the models including the cement psd all those pieces are going to be reunwrapped and the texture will be redone :)

This is in UDK just a printscreen though not a tiled shot I will save that for when it is done.

Thank you I am definately going for a Naughty Dog style piece.