Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Inkfish's Character art and various bits and pieces

Replies

• Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Well its unnerving so good job :P

The creases/fold need work, especially the back. Also you could probably look at some scarecrow ref images from the Dark Knight Saga for the head mask. I'd also like to see an bigger, thicker noose around the neck.

Keep it coming. I'm watching!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    The horror character is definitely pretty awesome so far :) I would agree with Di$array though, the noose is very noticeably thin and frail. It almost looks like it was intentionally put there as a prop ya know? Doing something like a horror character its definitely even more important for your audience to believe in the piece, and with the noose, I immediately picked it up as almost like a cord rather than thick strong rope that they would normally use at the gallows. Another thing is though, the noose doesn't really fit in with the rest of the character. I definitely see where you are going with it, and you are trying to tell a story, but I mean... Why would she have a noose around her neck during this era? If anything she should have like needles or some sort of electric chair paraphernalia. I feel they would fit the era and the story better! Its definitely coming along, and yeah I agree. The hood is definitely pretty sweet. I know I totally sound like I am bashing the work, but one more thing. I believe the sandals add more of comic relief than anything, or that specific styled sandal. I know you are going for the hospital patient look, but I think barefoot is definitely more intimidating. The story behind it, she doesn't feel pain and after you walk into the desolated and destroyed hospital to fight her, she walks towards you with the eerie lights flickering and shes walking over the shattered windows worth of glass, barefoot. You hear the glass breaking and the sound of ripping flesh as it ruins her feet even more, but she doesn't even flinch. *Epic boss fight ensues* lol

Sorry for the rant, but this is a great piece and thought the feedback would only help make it better :D Awesome job so far, you have some awesome work
  • Inkfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array: Thanks man, hopefully creepy in a right way :D Thanks for the crits man, it really helped me to see the design in another light, I googled some scarecrow pics, and lo and looking at those i kinda realised that the canvas hood and noose thing was way too characteristic to him, so i dumped the hood and noose idea altogether.

Add3r: ThanksThanks for the crits man! interesting points, you kinda reaffirmed my doubts about the hoodie noose combo, i also tought about what yo said about thinking about the larger picture, the hood&noose idea has been done (and better :)) it's really easy to just think "man, a canvas hood without eyes, that's creepy right!" and kinda kitbash the char together from different pieces. And no need to apologize! sound crits and to the point, just the way i like em :) Also ditched the sandals for now.

some more work, ditched the hood, and started hoodie iteration n :) this one kinda resonates more with me, i was going for a sorrow veil kida thing, tons of refinement ahead, but kinda like where this is goigin, so i'll prob. sculp this to a reasonable detail level and see if it holds. Also tanks a ton for the crits, really helps me going forward!

VGD9H.jpg
  • Inkfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, wakka wakka watch out pac man! goddam, really need to break the form some more :D
  • Inkfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more work, anatomy next.

2HXkO.jpg
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Solid progress for sure, yeah I think her barefoot is definitely more intimidating :) I am glad you are able to accept the critiques and really apply it to your work. You dont even know how many ppl just shut down help when it comes to their art lol... Yeah I like this. Awesome. One thing though if she is going to be barefoot, I say make her feet a little more sickly looking (I know this is just the start of her), they almost feel to full and healthy... Id post pictures of sickly feet but... Thatd be pretty damn weird lol. Like make her tendons pop and make them a little more bony and I think youll be in a sweet spot for sure! Awesome job man
  • Inkfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Add3r! Yeah i know the type :) i personally really like when people offer insights to my work, helps to keep a fresh eye on the subject. That's the reason i started posting here, to get crits and advice (and the insanely talented people here!) Good advice on the anatomy i'll be sure to revise tthe legs :)

some progress, although litte. Decided to take a bit of a break from sculpting and retopo some shit. Also learned a valuable lesson why most of the stuff is mirrored from the x axis, spent way too much time on this :D low poly and a test bake from viewport

Cu7cR.png
  • Inkfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started on another project. WoW grunt (based on the wow cinematic orc)

blHuf.png